Jump to content

METROID DREAD - October 8th!


Recommended Posts

I have my Collector's Edition and amiibo as does my little brother. A line formed inside instead of outside the location, so I thought we were going to get screwed. Thankfully, people still are wanting to get their Xbox Series X and their PlayStation 5. They really went beyond today. It did feel like a new generation had I not been aware of what the OLED is, with Metroid Dread being that highlighted game as was Breath of the Wild for the original. They also were playing a chronological order Metroid Series recap on one of the TV displays entering into the electronics section. Fittingly, as the line walked by Metroid Prime Hunters was being mentioned and as I was leaving, waiting for my brother, I stopped and watched the recap for Federation Force. The universe definitely made sure to remind me to somewhat check my hype. I'm excited to play later today. 

Link to comment

Well, the Metroid Dread SE I PO'd from E3 this year from Amazon Canada still didn't shipped as this morning.  I was so scared if my or any other that PO'd around the same time was experiencing the same issue and apparently it is. But so far no one have got emails notification that there's a delay, at least up Canada when it comes to Nintendo products this year, they ship late but this different.

 

Luckily once I found another online retailer shortly this morning from what the states called Radio Shack back in the day, ours just changed to The Source, I PO'd from there then cancelled my Amazon Canada one. Some I heard on just cancelled their Amazon order, find one back for retail price and says it would be delivered this Sunday, I wasn't so lucky but still the same I got another shot and was already charged for order and it says estimated delivery of October 12th. (Thanksgiving up in Canada this coming Monday)

 

We'll see if it comes, it's good that I was charged better than Amazon Canada.

Link to comment

I'm mixing up my left triggers for this game early on. My mind is telling me that both mechanics should be mapped to the larger button, but obviously there's just one ZL. I found myself sliding off of platforms after performing successful counters on multiple occasions trying to activate the free aim. It's more of an adjustment with the controls than I was expecting. I'll be better as the game progresses. Don't want to invest too much time at once, so I ended my first session after beating the first main boss. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia
Link to comment

 

Played for about seven hours today. I keep getting lost and wondering in circles, but I just made it to the part where you get the Varia Suit. I’m having issues with a certain boss.

 

Spoiler

When Kraid enters what I’m assuming is his final phase, am I supposed to Spider Magnet onto the moving panel to shoot him in the face/mouth, or do I ignore the panel and just keep shooting him in the bellybutton? Both options result in him making the same noise, so I wasn’t sure whether either one was actually doing damage, or just stunning him.

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

 

Played for about seven hours today. I keep getting lost and wondering in circles, but I just made it to the part where you get the Varia Suit. I’m having issues with a certain boss.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

When Kraid enters what I’m assuming is his final phase, am I supposed to Spider Magnet onto the moving panel to shoot him in the face/mouth, or do I ignore the panel and just keep shooting him in the bellybutton? Both options result in him making the same noise, so I wasn’t sure whether either one was actually doing damage, or just stunning him.

 

 

For Kraid, you use the spider magnet to position yourself to shoot him in the face/mouth, yeah. Shooting him in the grotesque bellybutton you just have to do so he'll release the belly spikes for you to jump onto as platforms to get where you need to go. Probably the most challenging Kraid fight yet, that said.

 

This would've been good for me to know earlier when I was backtracking for collectibles in some of the other sectors, but when you get the speed booster, you can maintain your momentum by wall jumping or sliding before you jump and release your shinespark. Am at the final boss technically, but trying to get either 100% or somewhere as close as I can to it first.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

 

Played for about seven hours today. I keep getting lost and wondering in circles, but I just made it to the part where you get the Varia Suit. I’m having issues with a certain boss.

 

  Hide contents

When Kraid enters what I’m assuming is his final phase, am I supposed to Spider Magnet onto the moving panel to shoot him in the face/mouth, or do I ignore the panel and just keep shooting him in the bellybutton? Both options result in him making the same noise, so I wasn’t sure whether either one was actually doing damage, or just stunning him.

 

Havent beaten Kraid yet, but if you go to top, you can get the chance to counter attack after shooting enough.  I swear I need another energy tank.....but Im getting close.

Link to comment

I beat the game a little while ago, and have enjoyed my time enough that I will try for 100%. Quick rating, I think I would have Metroid Dread at #4 behind Hunters, Federation Force and Super, with the margin between Dread and Super being close. The gameplay is solid; however, the game's narrative left the greatest impression on me. Dread, like every Metroid game, is going to be replayed and my opinion could change then, but I think, unlike Metroid: Samus Returns, Metroid Dread is going to get better on the second, third, fourth, etc. playthrough. Frustration is my biggest negative for the game, in terms of feeling lost on a couple occasions and the learning process for bosses. That should go down as I play the game more. Overall, fantastic and I'm looking forward to the journey for 100%. 

Link to comment

Just beat Experiment No. Z-57, and I think I've pinned down one of my issues with this game: A lot of the bosses suffer from Boost Guardian Syndrome in that the majority of their difficulty factor comes not from trying to avoid their attack patterns, but from the sheer amount of damage you take whenever you get hit. In this specific example, Z-57 deals over an entire Energy Tank worth of damage just from touching his head while trying to Spin Jump over his vomit beam attack, coupled with steady hazard damage from accidentally standing in the vomit. On top of that, there were multiple times where I died to one of his claw swipes because I was still trying to regain control of Samus from his Flappy Bird phase.

 

I think part of the problem might be because a lot of these bosses have bodies that mostly stay in the background while they attack the plain that Samus is actually on, making it difficult to tell whether it's safe to go "in front of" a moving appendage.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

I beat the game a little while ago, and have enjoyed my time enough that I will try for 100%. Quick rating, I think I would have Metroid Dread at #4 behind Hunters, Federation Force and Super, with the margin between Dread and Super being close. The gameplay is solid; however, the game's narrative left the greatest impression on me. Dread, like every Metroid game, is going to be replayed and my opinion could change then, but I think, unlike Metroid: Samus Returns, Metroid Dread is going to get better on the second, third, fourth, etc. playthrough. Frustration is my biggest negative for the game, in terms of feeling lost on a couple occasions and the learning process for bosses. That should go down as I play the game more. Overall, fantastic and I'm looking forward to the journey for 100%. 

 

After much backtrack grinding last night and today, I just have a couple more sectors before I have all the collectibles for 100%. If the remaining shinespark puzzles don't have me struggling too much, I should have it along with the final boss where I left off finished tonight or so.

 

The game is great on many levels as pointed out, though to be honest, find it overhyped far as people calling it the best Metroid ever. While I wouldn't call it #1, it's also within my top 5 or so at least, and certainly my game of the year, not that there was much competition there.

 

But yeah, was still worth the anticipation and everything, and well worthy of Fusion's legacy. Maybe it's because of how long I waited for it, but felt the story was a bit rushed at moments for lack of better word (poor Quiet Robe), but the lore Dread added is still appreciated, and some of the series' best.

 

 

Not referring to you on this part specifically, but I think people are too harsh on Samus Returns in hindsight. Yes, Dread eclipses it, but we wouldn't of had Dread in its current state without SR. Part of why Dread's as good as it is was because MercurySteam had to listen to all the criticims of their prior game. SR was the most needed game at the time after Other M and Federation Force though and it served its purpose.

 

I rank the boss fights on the two games about the same, putting aside the speculation overdrive I went into earlier because of Kraid's appearance. Like SR, Dread had more repetitive mini bosses than it did actual bosses, but I suppose it's a case of quality over quantity. Some of SR's aeion abilities I like better than Dread's too, namely the beam burst. It made sense though for all of Dread's aeions to be either stealth or movement based.

 

On one last honest note, I found the EMMI more annoying than I did scary or dreadful. That is not to say they were badly designed though; their AI is great and every death by them was my fault, but once I learned the areas enough to either cloak effectively or outrun them, could just power on through like every other adversary you have to escape from.

Edited by Ridley Prime
Link to comment

 

My Brain: Hey! You know Metroid Dread came out on Friday? You know you have a copy? You gonna open that thing and play it?

Me: TETRIS EFFECT... WHOOOOA!

 

Don’t get me wrong... I love Metroid and was super hyped when they announced Dread. Though, when they announced Tetris Effect for Switch, all that hype went out the window (I’ve been waiting since 2018 to be able to play Tetris Effect). :v  I'll most likely start Dread some time this week. That is, if I don't immediately go straight to Tetris Effect when I see that icon on my home menu. :P   

Link to comment

Yeah, I agree with Ridley about the EMMIs. They're not scary; they're just a pain in the ass. Even when you get the Omega Cannon, they're still annoying because you're forced to stand in one spot waiting for the damn thing to charge. It's giving me 'Nam flashbacks to how Other M handled Missiles. 

 

If there were two things that I'd want to erase from the Metroid series forever, they would be stealth sequences and quick time events.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

The game is great on many levels as pointed out, though to be honest, find it overhyped far as people calling it the best Metroid ever. While I wouldn't call it #1, it's also within my top 5 or so at least, and certainly my game of the year, not that there was much competition there.

 

This is the reason why I waited to start playing Metroid Dread until early Saturday morning, because I felt too hyped from lucking out with the Collector's Edition, amiibo and taking in the launch atmosphere from the store. I didn't begin the game until my little brother had already beaten the game, instead most of Friday after getting the game I spent playing Metroid Prime Hunters. I ended up throughout the weekend going between multiple hours with Hunters and Dread just to make sure I didn't overrate my experience. I might have spent more time playing Hunters than Dread ultimately. Had I not done this for Metroid Dread, there are several parts of the game that could have made me hyped enough to overrate the game. The final boss and ending in general itself is full of moments that could have made me think "best Metroid ever" had I made Dread my sole gaming focus since getting the game. 

 

With Metroid: Samus Returns, the opposite happened. I did initially rate the game running off of my hype. I have a post on Instagram back in 2017, maybe shortly after achieving 100% in the game, stating that I couldn't pick between Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid: Samus Returns as my favorite Metroid game experience. Then that second playthrough happened during which I was really thinking about what I was playing with Samus Returns and was comparing...It plummeted and I considered Returns one of the worst Metroid games for a while. Away from the hype and comparing with my Hunters experience, my recent third run of the game was more positive and I would consider the game above average within the series. This roller coaster wasn't something I wanted to repeat with Dread. My eventual second run should hold up to the initial run's 4th ranking. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Yeah, I agree with Ridley about the EMMIs. They're not scary; they're just a pain in the ass. Even when you get the Omega Cannon, they're still annoying because you're forced to stand in one spot waiting for the damn thing to charge. It's giving me 'Nam flashbacks to how Other M handled Missiles. 

 

If there were two things that I'd want to erase from the Metroid series forever, they would be stealth sequences and quick time events.

 

Oh yeah, even with the Omega Cannon (not to be confused with the one from MPH, lol) they were still annoying, especially with the last ones where you had to get within specific range to blast them.

 

Eh, I’m cool with stealth sequences depending on how they’re done. This game may have had an overuse of them though. Quick times or melee countering I’m fine with too, especially with how it was done in the final boss fight.

 

2 hours ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

 

This is the reason why I waited to start playing Metroid Dread until early Saturday morning, because I felt too hyped from lucking out with the Collector's Edition, amiibo and taking in the launch atmosphere from the store. I didn't begin the game until my little brother had already beaten the game, instead most of Friday after getting the game I spent playing Metroid Prime Hunters. I ended up throughout the weekend going between multiple hours with Hunters and Dread just to make sure I didn't overrate my experience. I might have spent more time playing Hunters than Dread ultimately. Had I not done this for Metroid Dread, there are several parts of the game that could have made me hyped enough to overrate the game. The final boss and ending in general itself is full of moments that could have made me think "best Metroid ever" had I made Dread my sole gaming focus since getting the game. 

 

With Metroid: Samus Returns, the opposite happened. I did initially rate the game running off of my hype. I have a post on Instagram back in 2017, maybe shortly after achieving 100% in the game, stating that I couldn't pick between Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid: Samus Returns as my favorite Metroid game experience. Then that second playthrough happened during which I was really thinking about what I was playing with Samus Returns and was comparing...It plummeted and I considered Returns one of the worst Metroid games for a while. Away from the hype and comparing with my Hunters experience, my recent third run of the game was more positive and I would consider the game above average within the series. This roller coaster wasn't something I wanted to repeat with Dread. My eventual second run should hold up to the initial run's 4th ranking. 

 

Ah. Yeah, I know what ya mean. Initial hype with something new can easily cloud one’s judgment. With the exception of Dread, I realized that had been a thing with me since at least as far back as Other M or so, and while that game specifically fell down the totem pole for me over time, I don’t hate it. I hate how uncivilized discussing Metroid became for awhile because of it and the hiatus the series went through afterward, but the game itself, mostly fine with despite eventually rating it much lower than I initially did. Samus Returns I similarly overrated at first but then dropped it down to a mid tier game on my list, which for a series return to form, is still decent. With the often lack of isolation there was in not only Other M but Prime 3 before it as well, Samus Returns made me more thankful for her to be back on a solo mission which was a breath of fresh air by that point.

 

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post, also disappointed at the lack of Etecoons and Dachoras, unless they cameo’d someplace that I’m not aware. If not, I guess the obscure friendly animals were forgotten after all.

 

Lastly, I came by to post this after coming across it… Part of me really hates NoA now, for creating this childhood lie about a Samus fugitive arc. Not too surprising either though since there was also mistranslations with Other M as revealed earlier.

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...