METROID DREAD - October 8th!

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

You think Iwata's name will be listed in the credits?

The game's been flipping in and out of development for so long that it's not impossible that he might've contributed something somewhere down the line that ends up in the final game...

The way I look at it is Dread have stopped development twice and I am pretty sure that all occurred when Iwata was still alive. After Samus Return with MercurySteam and eventually developing Dread for Switch, that is hard to say to me where Iwata will be credited. We all know that even on his deathbed Iwata was still ironing out the details for NX (Switch) and before then Dread must of halted twice before that. And the reason Dread development stopped was because the vision of Sakomoto was hindered by the technology both times, he also said during the development of Dread with MercurySteam, the ideas that Sakomoto had were expanded. With so much ideas, resets and technology limitations, I hope Iwata is credited somewhere but those factors put it to me a 50/50 chance his name will be in game.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, purple_beard said:

He's got the Metroid stuff timestamped at the bottom...

Interesting on price drops/cancellations of the CE preorders....

When I saw people talking about it I could only think of two things:

1. Your order is getting cancelled

2. The price came down because they'll be sending you the standard edition instead

In both cases that would likely be due to retailers having oversold their presell allocation which highlights other problems unto itself.  Here I am concerned that I can't even preorder a special edition yet there are those out there who were lucky enough to be able to that get the gut punch of having it cancelled.

The second point I posted I remember seeing at least once, maybe twice when working at Toys R Us.  The first is that we oversold special edition copies of one of the Halo games (I think ODST? whichever one had the super thick steelbook case).  We used presell cards and we gave those to the customer to hold onto after they put down their deposit.  We still had plenty of cards left when the presell period was over.  However, it looked like the company didn't receive enough stock day one to cover the presells that all the stores did.  My store did something around 30+ or something like that.  When we got our shipment, we got two cases in, five special editions to each case for a total of ten.  We didn't get any follow up shipments.  So customers who did not have their orders fulfilled were refunded the cost and could instead put it towards the standard edition and a free (on the house) Halo figurine as a consolation.

Suffice to say that was not a fun release day and it didn't help that one of our sister stores 20 or so miles away kept sending their angry customers to us to fulfill their order because we were a larger store and I guess logically it made sense we would have gotten more stock.  Even though it doesn't necessarily work that way.

YAY RETAIL! lol

It's a very tiny nitpick I have with Metroid Dread, but I would have preferred the new arm cannon configuration be named something other than Omega Cannon. When that name came up and does come up, I think about the weapon of the same name in the finale and Oubliette arena in Metroid Prime Hunters. If this was more than a name share, like one of the bullets fired ends up looking like MPH's Omega Cannon, it would bug me less. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 3 had a similar situation with the Hyper Beam. It's used only once in Super Metroid, but it's still the Hyper Beam that is first to come to mind with how memorable that moment of its use is and the look of the beam itself. Both instances feel like they're standing in the shadow of the finale weapons that came before. 

With the Dachoras and Etecoons piloting her ship as the Omega Metroid rampaged on the main deck of the B.S.L., I'm hopeful that we'll see them again maybe as early as within the game's intro that seems to summarize the events in Metroid Fusion. I think not having them would be a bad omission and cause inconsistency that the game doesn't need as a sequel. If they are still around by the game's end, we could see a menu or title screen similar to Metroid: Samus Returns after she returns with the baby Metroid. It would be nice if we could have some camera interaction within the gunship for instance panning the camera to the side to see a recreation of Fusion's ending with the family of creatures sleeping. They could also have them active. When panning to the right, the player will see the adult Dachora bolt across their view and once fully to the right will see the parent and its child. A pan to the left, it might be funny to have the Etecoons bouncing off the walls and flipping around to lighten up the game's mood for a moment. A recreation of their Super Metroid jingle would be a nice touch on occasion before they start jumping. What I would be curious about, since I do expect both the Dachoras and the Etecoons to appear, is if these creatures inspire the development team to either return or introduce more friendly or non-hostile creatures for Metroid Dread. One of the reasons why I think Super Metroid is so great is due to its diversity and creating a variety of memorable moments. I'm not expecting them to do that, but that is something I miss. 

I wouldn't be surprised either if we experience a similar situation as in Fusion where the Dachoras and Etecoons take pilot responsibility again as a Central Unit, with a massive body resembling that of the E.M.M.I. it controls, emerges on the surface of ZDR with a pack of E.M.M.I. ready to meet and kill Samus Aran. I'm anticipating a battle in Metroid Dread that is a throwback to a previous Mother Brain battle. Could be the penultimate boss and maybe the Chozo that seemed to lead the betrayal on SR388 is the ultimate. Metroid Dread, due to the narrative being built, has the potential to have the best boss lineup in the series. Maybe not in terms of overall gameplay, but more in terms of what these bosses end up being. Other M starting with the final Ridley battle, has two Nightmare fights, the Queen Metroid, an encounter with a Mother Brain entity and a battle with Phantoon. I'm feeling like that kind of lineup is setting up to happen again. 

Yeah, saw that vid with Spawn. That sucks when something like this happens, I have experienced the first example Keazy brought up. Fortunately for me (not sure if this is a US thing?) I still have my Special Edition up in Amazon Canada intact, no price increase or decrease as well.

I would of hear on the subreddits I follow for these kind of PO if the SE were getting cancelled by certain retailers or price reduction.

Again, bad show all around this effects, bad show. 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:55 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Came across this because someone recommended it to me. Some nostalgic history to be found there. Even saw Nsider shown for a moment as a callback, because that's how far back Dread was first mentioned and rumored.

This video was a definite trip down memory lane especially seeing snippets of Nsider ^ _ ^.  My first understanding of Metroid Dread was probably like most from Metroid Prime 3.  Had no idea it had a presence years earlier.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

This just makes me think they already have concepts and plans in the works for post Dread Metroid games.  Considering what they're looking to finish in this game there's a lot of excitement and change on the horizon after.

My two biggest fears about Dread (well, not so much "fears", as much as "recurring things in previous mainline Metroid games that I wasn't particularly a fan of"):

1. The final upgrade serves no purpose other than for backtracking. Power Bombs in Zero Mission are only required for finding more Power Bombs. Same with Other M; all they do is wake up a few of those giant bug dudes that are blocking off a few Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions, which, since you've already beaten the main story at that point, only serve to give you a few extra hits against Phantoon. The worst of all were those little clumps of debris in Samus Returns that you needed the Baby to get past, which, again, served no purpose other than to artificially pad out the game before the post-Metroid Queen boss.

2. The areas of the game are arranged in a linear path. Mainly an issue in Fusion, Other M, and Samus Returns, where they were explicitly labeled numerically and didn't even have names. Once you've gotten through one area, you almost never have any reason to go back to it other than to collect expansions (see above point). Compared to Super or Prime 1, where you have massive planets with interconnecting areas to explore and get lost in. You get the Varia Suit in Brinstar so you can explore Norfair to get the Grapple Beam, then get the Gravity Suit from the Wrecked Ship, then the Space Jump from Maridia, then back to Norfair to fight Ridley. You're always going through several different areas to get to your next destination, instead of through a linear circle through the planet.

38 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

My two biggest fears about Dread (well, not so much "fears", as much as "recurring things in previous mainline Metroid games that I wasn't particularly a fan of"):

1. The final upgrade serves no purpose other than for backtracking. Power Bombs in Zero Mission are only required for finding more Power Bombs. Same with Other M; all they do is wake up a few of those giant bug dudes that are blocking off a few Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions, which, since you've already beaten the main story at that point, only serve to give you a few extra hits against Phantoon. The worst of all were those little clumps of debris in Samus Returns that you needed the Baby to get past, which, again, served no purpose other than to artificially pad out the game before the post-Metroid Queen boss.

2. The areas of the game are arranged in a linear path. Mainly an issue in Fusion, Other M, and Samus Returns, where they were explicitly labeled numerically and didn't even have names. Once you've gotten through one area, you almost never have any reason to go back to it other than to collect expansions (see above point). Compared to Super or Prime 1, where you have massive planets with interconnecting areas to explore and get lost in. You get the Varia Suit in Brinstar so you can explore Norfair to get the Grapple Beam, then get the Gravity Suit from the Wrecked Ship, then the Space Jump from Maridia, then back to Norfair to fight Ridley. You're always going through several different areas to get to your next destination, instead of through a linear circle through the planet.

Not sure if you saw this part earlier, but

image0.thumb.png.bfa376f953e1a4052d692fdc50dd755b.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hey, X-Parasite shoehorn. 

I do think the whole “some may have survived” stuff being the crux of Dread’s plot comes off as a little stupid, and makes the ending to Fusion, which was already melancholy, kinda irrelevant now.

Then again, that’s what basically how the plot has been with Metroids for nearly the entire series ("They've been wiped out, or have they?”), so par the course. Yeah, they were extinct after Super Metroid and clone bred in the games that took place after, but you get the idea.

Which again makes me question why Ridley possibly coming back is such a problem for some other series fans when they’re fine with all that other stuff.

Edit: I guess it’s also possible that the surviving X is a ruse to send the EMMI to capture Samus' DNA because it might still have Metroid DNA. A potential SA-X rematch in the case of surviving X could be interesting though, even if EMMI tops the SA-X as a concept for me now.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Eh, just because they keep re-using the same plot points over and over doesn't necessarily mean that the stories can't be unique in their own right.

Take the Castlevania series, for example. The plot of every game is to bring Dracula back from the dead, but most of the story-driven ones still have their own unique themes and sub-plots:

*Symphony of the Night is about Alucard's resolve to honor his mother's legacy by standing up against his father.

*Circle of the Moon is about the one-sided rivalry between Nathan and Hugh.

*Harmony of Dissonance is about Juste trying to save Maxim from being possessed.

*Aria/Dawn of Sorrow are about Soma struggling to live his own life as his own person even though he's the reincarnation of Dracula's soul.

*Curse of Darkness is about Hector learning to let go of his pursuit of revenge against Isaac.

*Portrait of Ruin is about Jonathan overcoming his reservations about using the Vampire Killer after learning that it was the cause of his father's death.

*Order of Ecclesia is about Shanoa re-discovering the truth about her relationship with Albus after losing her memories.

Likewise, even if they keep bringing back the Metroids/X-Parasites/Ridley back from extinction, that won't be the entire focus of the plot.

That is definitely true. From my experience, any series that doesn't have villains coming back inexplicably at some point or another tends to be shorter anyway. I mean they don't always have to be a crutch for the plot, but just having them around for the protagonist or player to fight as a staple is fine. Games have been doing it for decades. If anything, it shows resilience in these characters and whatnot. It’s no “Somehow Palpatine survived”, though it can get weird at times as these games become more and more plot focused.

But yeah, you can have new shit while also maintaining some old. Metroid fans are obsessed with canon, and so it seems like out of all of Nintendo villains, Ridley's the only one who "can't come back", but Nintendo likely never took the canon/lore as seriously as the fans. Whether it's with Smash or Metroid, Nintendo knows how marketable Ridley is. Again, not saying he needs to be in everything, but even with a potential absence or two like Dread or MP4, Ridley's too valuable for the brand now to be gone completely and be but a mere memory. With how Smash immortalized him now particularly, it's harder to see Nintendo dropping him (or the Metroids for that matter) from Metroid at a certain point completely just because canon dictates it.

I also notice people who are tired of Ridley and don't want to see him again anytime soon but want other old bosses or enemies to reappear don't really take the impact of the timeline into consideration anyway, so I don't see what harm one more Ridley appearance does. People who like Metroid but maybe not him particularly aren't gonna not get a game just because he's in it, just like how I'll be getting Dread and MP4 regardless of him. It's a moot point.

My only issue with some of the X possibly being around as implied is that it takes away from Fusion's ending and the lengths that Samus took to get rid of them, but if they're executed interestingly within Dread, I won't have a problem with them. The Metroids, you can really go either way far as having in Dread; Samus still having the Metroid DNA and all, but I wouldn't put it past either the Federation to clone more if they can or for the revealed Chozo to create some more.

Oh yeah, cool that NoA actually went over the 2D series' history earlier while marketing Dread. They only acknowledge such history and anniversaries when it can be used for marketing purposes, but still.

Still though...

image0.jpg.88c9883b2b9cfeefb40e7fa6fc9c5715.jpg

I think when Metroid Prime 4 is ready to be marketed by them, they’ll go over the Prime series’ history similarly with the previous three games and maybe MPH and FF if they choose, followed by the same song and dance with fans asking where these games are on the Switch, while Nintendo keeps their blinders on and clout chasers continue giving false hope with rumors of MPT HD.

Would love to be proven wrong though.