METROID DREAD - October 8th!

• 1 month later...

Was interesting to find out that Kraid’s original intended room was in fact the Omega Pirate room. I thought it was an earlier room in the Phazon Mines based on the posted image of Kraid. Omega Pirate was still a good boss though, with all the Elite Pirate fights having built up to him, but having Kraid as a boss that late in the game (pretty much right before Meta Ridley aside from the artifact collecting) would’ve made Kraid more formidable than ever, in addition to being amped by Phazon.

Even in Dread he wasn’t all that; mainly just an updated version of how he was previously designed as an early game boss.

A couple things about Raven Beak I realized I forgot to comment on before, did anyone notice that he sported a couple of the aeion abilities from Samus Returns? Namely the Lightning Armor (the initial cutscene with him and phase 1 of his boss fight) and Beam Burst (phase 2 of his fight). I know Dread eclipses SR as a whole, but the aeion abilities remain one of the things about SR that I still champion, aside from having perhaps the best designed Ridley fight.

Of course, Dread’s aeion abilities were designed with stealth and mobility in mind (hail the almighty Flash Shift, although Raven Beak had a variant of that too), while Samus Returns’ were designed with durability and firepower in mind. Also too, some of the Chozo statues on SR388 in Returns were that of Raven Beak. They were really building him up before we got to know who he was by the next game, and not just with the Chozo Memories gallery. Makes me even more curious if any of the Chozo statues in Dread are that of particular individuals we have yet to meet.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I've seen it mentioned a while back that Raven Beak is making use of Beam Burst and Lightning Armor Aeion abilities. I do want to pay attention to the statuary on SR388 more the next time I play Samus Returns, because I don't remember seeing Raven Beak depicted. If it is him though and those statues are tied to where the Aeion abilities are obtained, putting the two together would suggest that the Mawkin developed those Aeion abilities to potentially be used in assisting in the containment of the planet's Metroids. I don't recall how effective either is when dealing with the Metroids though, especially dealing with the more developed evolutions. 

There is an interesting topic on the Metroid subreddit asking if the Mawkin Tribe could have defeated the Ing, and I'm interested to see how people here view the Mawkin Tribe in relation to other advanced races and threats. Personally, I think, in spite of how advanced they are, they are doomed due to the ego of Raven Beak and would have a worse time with the Ing than the Luminoth if they had to deal with such a threat. 

I would also take the Alimbics in a head to head against the Mawkin Tribe. :P 

Beam Burst is only effective with Metroids I think if you already have the ice beam, and you do get that in Returns first from what I remember, which decreased the extent of which you had to use missiles on them.

Yeah, would have to agree that the particular Mawkin tribe in Dread would be similarly doomed in many previous instances in the series due to the ego or arrogance of Raven Beak; sacrificing everyone else to protect himself if he has to, like how he initially handled the X on ZDR.

They may have put up quite a fight on Tallon IV though, as I assume the Chozo there that became ghosts were pretty much all Thoha instead of Mawkin. Still, Phazon can ruin just about anyone’s day if not careful since the only thing super effective against the most pure forms of Phazon is… an overdose of itself, though I assume a similarly power weapon (outside of Samus’s non-Phazon arsenal in the Prime trilogy) could still put a dent in such beings. With all the other powerful things we’ve seen in the series at this point, I could no longer go on some no-limit assumption of what Phason could withstand, not that I should’ve to begin with I suppose.

And the Ing? Yeah, the Mawkin would need more than just their spears to handle them too. Also a question if they could handle Dark Aether’s environments, where the Ing are at their strongest.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Phazon on Tallon IV seems tame compared to what it became like as the Trilogy went on. Aside from the Chozo, who rejected Phazon, I cannot recall Phazon causing noticeable harm to life on the world in the time Samus is there. That may be due to sealing away a large portion of the world's Phazon beyond the seal of the Artifact Temple, in the depths of the Impact Crater. Space Pirates still played with fire quite a bit and seemed like Phazon largely benefited them, with the rise of Elites and Omega. The Mawkin Tribe probably would have been much worse than the Space Pirates as a potential and growing threat. I couldn't imagine Raven Beak would reject Phazon for the tribe, instead would make an effort to harness its power and Phazon probably would be willing to give it. Assuming that any Chozo outside of ZDR are Thoha, had the Tallon IV Thoha decided to harness Phazon in moderation, could they have prevented the development of Flaahgra and saved their water supply in the Chozo Ruins? 

With the difference between Phendrana Drifts and the Chozo Ruins, arguably the Space Pirate activity there exploring the potential of Phazon may have saved the local ecosystem from becoming as poisoned as the Chozo Ruins. Tallon Overworld is also in a fantastic state, and goes to show that the Chozo deciding to take action made quite a difference for that region considering that the Artifact Temple and Cipher are there. If the Mawkin Tribe were on Tallon IV, I don't think the world would be as wondrous as it would likely have more industrial developments; however, I don't think the planet would've gotten poisoned anywhere near the same extent as Phazon would be taken and processed away from the ecosystems and brought in to be harnessed and for experimentation. 

I didn't realize how formidable the Ing are until answering whether or not the Mawkin would overcome the Horde's threat. The Ing may be the strongest localized, intelligent race in the series...I don't have any entity beating them aside from those established across multiple worlds and with interplanetary fire power, i.e. Galactic Federation, Space Pirates and Alimbics. The Mawkin seem like they would be capable of creating their own technology to protect them from a dark world and potential possession, but I think those advancements at their best would go to Raven Beak while the rest of the tribe gets scraps in comparison. If the overall Mawkin Tribe had even half of what Raven Beak gets, they would be at the table as one of the most powerful groups in the series.

Edited by Ithrak Utopia
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but the SA-X as a stalker felt more memorable than pretty much any of the EMMI encounters. At least with the first playthrough of Fusion, there was that element of surprise to the SA-X, while each time you entered an EMMI zone, it was just "Oh, here we go again". It helped too that most of the areas in Fusion you already knew when it came to the SA-X, while with EMMI zones, you had no idea where to go at first while they're chasing you, although it does get somewhat more forgivable with replays.

Keyword being somewhat because they still have that stupid RNG, where you can like randomly bump into them when going to a next room, even though you were far away from them on the radar in the room you were just previously in.

The SA-X is memed on now for its laughably bad AI, but the EMMI encounters have around as many buggy aspects to it, like with that clip example and other stuff.

Didn't think I would be going back to a "why I don't like the EMMI much" talk, but when I still see things like that clip, it's a problem. If there's any future stalker type enemies as a successor to the SA-X and EMMI (in a Metroid 6 or what have you), I just hope them or their territories are better designed.