METROID DREAD - October 8th!

On 10/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, Kezay said:

Going back through and watching some of these cutscenes and boss fights on youtube, it's crazy to me that MercurySteam may have created the best, if not one of the best, versions of Samus thus far.  If nothing else, they have definitely created an awesome foundation to build from as the series/story expands from here.

This isn't my favorite version of Samus from a gameplay perspective, but I would agree in terms of character that this is the best Samus seen so far. When she spoke in Chozo to Quiet Robe, reassuring him, that elevated her character and the game. Considering the last game where she opened her mouth, it felt like a bold choice to even take that chance with her. The scenes tied to the boss battles are all great to take in, and I was snapping away with the screenshot button during a majority of those interactions. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia
1 hour ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

This isn't my favorite version of Samus from a gameplay perspective, but I would agree in terms of character that this is the best Samus seen so far. When she spoke in Chozo to Quiet Robe, reassuring him, that elevated her character and the game. Considering the last game where she opened her mouth, it felt like a bold choice to even take that chance with her. The scenes tied to the boss battles are all great to take in, and I was snapping away with the screenshot button during a majority of those interactions. 

The issue isn’t on whether or not Samus speaks. As Dread showed, she can still speak, but it makes sense for her to do so minimally, game intro monologues aside.

Yeah, the humanizing moments she had in Dread were still appreciated like when she realized Quiet Robe wasn’t hostile and relaxed in an “Oh, okay” kind of pose. The key though is that they’re moments, not overly long cutscenes of monotone monologue. Nuance is key.

They obviously got the feedback that people want Samus to be cool and nuanced and not what she was in Other M… or Fusion where she was similarly long winded. 

Other M itself is still canon, but how Samus was portrayed in it was decanonized in accordance with said feedback and all. A win-win. I’m glad too that Other M is shown in one of the ending rewards, specifically for beating Dread on hard mode.

Edited by Ridley Prime
16 hours ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Other M was definitely chasing a different perspective so I don't see it as a risk here that they allowed her to open her mouth.  Different direction, different intent, I don't see the reception of Other M having been some litmus test with that. 

18 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

They obviously got the feedback that people want Samus to be cool and nuanced and not what she was in Other M… or Fusion where she was similarly long winded. 

Other M itself is still canon, but how Samus was portrayed in it was decanonized in accordance with said feedback and all. A win-win. I’m glad too that Other M is shown in one of the ending rewards, specifically for beating Dread on hard mode.

The context surrounding Metroid Dread's story and that of Other M's story are very different, and Samus should reflect that. I'm not saying I want to see anymore of Samus like she was in Other M in a new game, but I also, aside from aspects of authorization and the lack of sufficient explanation, don't have a problem with the portrayal overall due to when it takes place. Without Other M, I wouldn't consider her portrayal in Metroid Dread to be as much of a positive evolution as I currently do. I ended up liking Metroid: Other M more as I played through Metroid Dread. 

Maybe. I don’t agree though that Nintendo should buy MercurySteam. Some have said they should because of the mismanagement, but certain teams owned by big N like Retro Studio have been mismanaged for most of their history. Being bought would also mean Mercury wouldn’t get to work on a non-Nintendo game again, and I like most of what they did for Castlevania too, but that’s me.

Whatever improves things over there I guess.

11 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Soooo I know it's called "Zero Mission" but can we get a prequel? I want to see more Chozo. I want to start a game where Samus is training with the Chozo and learning the suit.

I dunno if we need a prequel per se, but I absolutely agree.  The first real taste of Chozo outside of the ghosts from Prime and I want more!  They don't have to go crazy with it because I like that the Chozo are still maintained as this mysterious advanced race but I'd love to see more of what they do with things going forward.

Honestly, part of me wonders if the Chozo have lost some of their mystique now, glad as I am to have finally had them fleshed out more, even if they just turned out to be more food for the X in the end which disappoints me in a way.

Like with advanced species in literally any other series, things seem all hunky-dory about them until you realize that maybe they should've stayed lost to time with some of the things they helped create. Of course, there's always a reason why a progenitor type civilization isn't around anymore in any fiction or why the race of said civilization is either endangered or extinct, and if they did their job completely right, the series protagonist wouldn't have a main threat to fight against. :P

If there is anymore significant Chozo presence in another game, I won't complain, but feel Dread has satisfied my curiosity of them for now.

21 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Should I play Fusion before this game? I just finally defeated Samus Returns.  

… Hot take: I like Samus Returns a little bit more than Super Metroid. 

At the very least, I'd recommend watching a Longplay of it.

Fusion has a few bullshit difficulty spikes that Dread greatly tones down.