METROID DREAD - October 8th!

Okay, this is really, really fucking cool!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/q5w5m5/dread_spoilers_an_analysis_of_a_certain_cutscene/

Spoiler

The cutscenes where Quiet Robe, Raven Beak, and Samus have actual voiced dialog? That's not Spanish they're speaking (despite the game being developed in Spain).

No, the absolute mad lads at Mercury Steam actually went out and constructed the entire Chozo spoken language, just for those few cutscenes.

We've already seen hand-written Chozo language in the Prime games and Zero Mission. Now we might have the means to translate the scan logs back into their original language!

Regarding Ty's post above

Are there parts of it that sound like Spanish?  I honestly don't know so I had already assumed they went through the trouble of creating the language, not that it makes it any less incredible because it was cool they did that.

Anyway, some of these items I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to get, but it's pretty cool how creative they got with how to obtain many of them.

Well, wel, well...well. The SE arrived today at my doorstep.

I present the goodies inside (tho most who have or don't know what's there but here are some as details shots of what come with Metroid Dread Special Edition)

Q9WmU15m.jpg

e9pTpog.jpg

The back of the special edition box.

ru1SuFd.jpg

Everything outside the box.

5Tl1X2R.jpg

A look at what seems to be concept drawings of Samus Aran in Metroid Dread/Mission Log Art Book.

dTPKMc7.jpg

Inside the steelbook and what held the steelbook and Art Cards, as you can see there's E.M.M.I's etched in the holdings.

ySGi0n0.jpg

Back of the steelbook and back of the Art Cards case.

pHP0JAW.jpg

A closer look at the Art Cards.

And that's all. Now I can play this game, that appears everyone who post here have beaten it. I have played selected Metroid games so I am not surprised to some it was beaten this quick. I am looking at you @Kezay all I seen you do this past weekend is play Metroid so despite its length for anyone, you just went at it like you had not time.

I appreciate the spoiler tags guys.

EDIT: This SE is in the same packaging and box shape and size as the FE 30th anniversary last year December. I wonder going forward that SE coming out from Nintendo will always be packed like this?

EDIT 2: Forgot to show a closer look at the Art Cards, my bad. Also, I just realized this is my fist steelbook...for the Switch. I have owned steelbook before but who would of knew it would be for Metroid.

Edited by DLurkster
20 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:
Spoiler

Ya know as much as people still give Ridley flak for being "shoehorned" in certain things (the hard gatekeeping against him was more annoying than him not being a boss in Dread itself though), Kraid honestly was just kinda there in Dread. The gallery makes me still think he was possibly a clone.

Spoiler

I have not unlocked the full Chozo Archives yet for Dread, I assume that's the part of the gallery you're referring to, as I'm slowly grinding my way towards 100%. The game doesn't give any explanation for Kraid that I know of currently, but I'm thinking of the possibility of Kraid being the original on ZDR and being a clone on Zebes. Kraid on ZDR seems more natural, aggressive and territorial as it is in massive restraints. Anyone entering that area was going to have to deal with its rage, and have dealt with it as otherwise why the restraints. On Zebes though, Kraid feels more designed and controlled for its role. Kraid is a Space Pirate head, given its own lair, guards valuable technology and has its life linked to the security of Tourian and ultimately Mother Brain. 

1 hour ago, The Albraskan said:

I really regret not looking into Metroid Dread more to realize there was a special edition of the game. Then again, that’s what I deserve for being a casual when it comes to Metroid. I even forgot to get the GameStop exclusive pins when I picked up my pre-order. Though they could have just ran out of the pins too.

I am causal to Metroid too but that does stop anyone who know of a SE and the means to get one, I say. That's my reason even if I am not avid Metroid connoisseur. (That and like the FE 30th anniversary, I got both to say tho not big big fan of neither I can say a long time from now I got something that celebrate series at that moment in time)

TBH the only Metroid game I beat is Other M, played like 5% of MP of the trilogy on Wii U and like 70% of the remake of the return of Samus on 3DS Samus Returns. *Chuckles*

2 hours ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Hide contents

I have not unlocked the full Chozo Archives yet for Dread, I assume that's the part of the gallery you're referring to, as I'm slowly grinding my way towards 100%. The game doesn't give any explanation for Kraid that I know of currently, but I'm thinking of the possibility of Kraid being the original on ZDR and being a clone on Zebes. Kraid on ZDR seems more natural, aggressive and territorial as it is in massive restraints. Anyone entering that area was going to have to deal with its rage, and have dealt with it as otherwise why the restraints. On Zebes though, Kraid feels more designed and controlled for its role. Kraid is a Space Pirate head, given its own lair, guards valuable technology and has its life linked to the security of Tourian and ultimately Mother Brain. 

Spoiler

Well there was that random body just outside Kraid's lair in Super Metroid. Clone or otherwise he seems to be aggressive and territorial. I can buy though that Raven Beak and the Mawkin tribe could've been in contact with the Space Pirates before they were wiped out, as both factions appeared to be about trying to use the Metroids for galactic dominance. Kinda like how Gray Voice was getting on the pirates' nice side for his ulterior motives in the manga. As such, I can see Zebes Kraid having been a gift by Mawken Chozo to the pirates so to speak.

There was also what appeared to be a clone of Draygon in the lab area of Dairon, which I thought would've led to a boss fight with it like how we earlier caught a glimpse of Experiment Z-57 before fighting it, but turns out the Drayong thing was just an easter egg.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, Tyranogre said:

My two biggest fears about Dread (well, not so much "fears", as much as "recurring things in previous mainline Metroid games that I wasn't particularly a fan of"):

1. The final upgrade serves no purpose other than for backtracking. Power Bombs in Zero Mission are only required for finding more Power Bombs. Same with Other M; all they do is wake up a few of those giant bug dudes that are blocking off a few Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions, which, since you've already beaten the main story at that point, only serve to give you a few extra hits against Phantoon. The worst of all were those little clumps of debris in Samus Returns that you needed the Baby to get past, which, again, served no purpose other than to artificially pad out the game before the post-Metroid Queen boss.

In my frustration to get Dread's few remaining pickups that are locked behind Shinespark puzzles, I think I came up with a solution for future games:

After completing the story, the Hyper Beam is unlocked as an actual power-up instead of just a weapon against the final boss. Give it the ability to destroy all types of blocks (i.e. Power Bomb, Screw Attack, Speed Booster), but do not add an additional type of block that only it can destroy. This way, speedrunners who take pride in their ability to show off cool Shinespark tricks will still be able to do so before beating the game, more casual players who lack the proper hand-eye coordination will still be able to achieve 100% completion, and most importantly, it would not artificially pad out the length of a 100% completion run.

I guess that would be a cool idea, though to be honest, the hyper beam did not wow me like in previous iterations. I guess that'll happen when you've seen it enough times. That and it was an attack she got from absorbing Raven Beak who used it earlier during the final phases of his fight, just like how it was absorbed by Super Mother Brain. I know Metroid has its callbacks like that, but it just felt kinda redundant to me at that point. The Metroid metamorphosis thing was a cool shocking twist though.

By the way, this is a shame, though more of an industry problem that happens more than we know.

It wouldn't even necessarily be the Hyper Beam; I just went with that name out of convenience. The important thing is that it would be a weapon that you only have permanent access to after beating the game, that only exists to make 100% completion easier without devaluing advanced speedrunning tricks.

But yeah, that stuff at Mercury Steam really sucks. There have been instances of the opposite problem happening, as well: Devil May Cry 2 spent most of it's development with one guy as the director, only for him to quit just four months before release, so when Capcom brought in Hideaki Itsuno to replace him, the other guy went uncredited, despite being the one who had done most of the work.

I actually really love the difficulty in this game. I think it's at the perfect level. I'm so surprised they put out a game that's this difficult actually. The story was also really cool and I love the parallax scrolling and depth on the environments. The increased focus on horror is something I always wanted out of this series. I really liked how they weren't afraid to add some radical new elements into the story and have Samus speak again too. The (non-reused) boss fights were also really well designed it was fun having to learn the patterns instead of just tanking damage and spamming missiles like most of the other games.

My biggest problem with the game is the reused bosses... That and the map screen is a little too busy, it can be hard to read sometimes. Aside from that though... best game of the year possibly?

On 10/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, DLurkster said:

Well, wel, well...well. The SE arrived today at my doorstep.

I present the goodies inside (tho most who have or don't know what's there but here are some as details shots of what come with Metroid Dread Special Edition)

And that's all. Now I can play this game, that appears everyone who post here have beaten it. I have played selected Metroid games so I am not surprised to some it was beaten this quick. I am looking at you @Kezay all I seen you do this past weekend is play Metroid so despite its length for anyone, you just went at it like you had not time.

I appreciate the spoiler tags guys.

EDIT: This SE is in the same packaging and box shape and size as the FE 30th anniversary last year December. I wonder going forward that SE coming out from Nintendo will always be packed like this?

EDIT 2: Forgot to show a closer look at the Art Cards, my bad. Also, I just realized this is my fist steelbook...for the Switch. I have owned steelbook before but who would of knew it would be for Metroid.

You know, I said to myself I was fine not getting the special edition since I was at least able to get the amiibo, but looking at your stuff here I REALLY wish I had gotten the SE!  Anyway, yes, all I did was power through Metroid over the weekend.  XD

8 minutes ago, Kezay said:

You know, I said to myself I was fine not getting the special edition since I was at least able to get the amiibo, but looking at your stuff here I REALLY wish I had gotten the SE!  Anyway, yes, all I did was power through Metroid over the weekend.  XD

Yeah, I'm not that big of Metroid fan so the amiibo weren't a priority to get. (Remember this coming from someone who buys almost every amiibo out there)

Just finished my last run on Dread earlier that was required to unlock the rest of the ending gallery on my file. Even on hard difficulty, was satisfied enough with my speedrun without having to resort to the sequence break stuff. Will dabble with that though should I do another run simply to beat my previous time records, but have grinded the game enough for now.

One of the other gripes with Dread that keeps me from putting it up there with like Super Metroid is the mostly lack of being able to backtrack until the end game. When you do you get powerups though, it opens up plenty new areas of the map, so the forced progression isn't all bad, but I don't see myself doing 100% speedruns on Dread with how it works, like I used to do with Super or Fusion. Still, great game overall that gave me my money's worth with the number of times I've already gone through it.

Edited by Ridley Prime