METROID DREAD - October 8th!

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

I just figured Samus contacted Anthony sometime after Fusion, and he explained everything to the higher-ups. y;

Maybe, but I’m just tired of series misinformation that tends to be caused by NoA translations, which in the case of Fusion’s ending, set up false expectations with a fugitive arc for like 19 years.

One last thing before I forget, am impressed with some of the speedrunning tactics already found, even with the bosses. Will have to try this on Experiment Z-57 next time I fight it, and if I happen to find a way to get bombs before Kraid, that’ll be a bonus.

Metroid Dread posters were available as a My Nintendo reward (1000 platinum points), but they went out of stock extremely fast. Hopefully they come back in stock soon. BTW, did anyone here get these?

🔗https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/61b13a290e71d2d5

wzWlyAy.png

EDIT: Well shit! 😭

IQhQ8IY.png

So how many of these whent to scalpers?

Edited by alienboyva

Just finished the game, and I must say that I did not care for the way Power Bombs were implemented at all. I actually obtained a few tanks by accident while wandering around looking for the way forward, but the game just said "you can't use this item yet". What the fuck is the point of allowing the player to (unintentionally) sequence for an item if you're just going to lock the ability to use said item behind story progress anyway?

But aside from that, the big twist at the end was great, and I enjoyed the ending (though the final boss was a bit difficult). If only LBoogie were still around to discuss the implications this has on the lore... :(

Oh yeah, wonder how she’s doing along with any of the other old guard and how they see Metroid now, even if they kinda moved on.

Not sure if you knew this, but during the 3rd phase of the Raven Beak fight, when he summons that sun looking sphere, you can destroy it by simply laying a power bomb rather than having to avoid it. That’s the only real use I found for power bomb aside from using it to destroy the blocks that require it for 100%, but at least there wasn’t nearly as much padding with power bomb expansions as there was in Fusion. :v The cross bomb upgrade kinda made power bombs feel redundant too. I thought the former was a replacement for the latter at first. 275 maximum for missiles is nice though, breaking the usual 250 max barrier.

15 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

So that poster set went up days ago but went out of stock immediately... Do rewards ever get restocked these days?

I've seen a few that were out of stock get restocked, thought it takes a while. With these posters it says "Available until 10/25/2021" and "Only while supplies last" in the reward info. :( 

Edited by alienboyva

The estimated delivery of Metroid Dread SE today is confirmed for tomorrow. I received an email saying it only shipped today and that will arrive tomorrow.

So one more day and I'll see what I have been avoiding and missing with this game, it only has been 4 days, how much could I missed?!?

WHAT THE SHIT?!?

I just got another email confirmation that my delivery for the Metroid Dread SE has been pushed to Thursday.

Sigh, if I get any more confirmation of another change, I don't care. When it comes it comes, as this just feels ridiculous wait what feels without end.

I have a theory about the game's development that involves spoilers for the ending.

Spoiler

Quiet Robe was meant to be a post-final boss in the vain of Fusion's Omega Metroid.

My theory is that during the original ending, Samus's ship would've been unable to recognize her due to her Metroid transformation (think back to Phaaze in Corruption), and locked her out of the ship while the planet was starting to blow up. "But Adam is smarter than that", you might say. However, it's established in the opening cutscene that in addition to containing Adam's consciousness, Samus's ship also has a separate AI in charge of navigating (indicated by two different robotic voices).

Anyway, after being locked out, Quiet Robe appears in a mutated X form, is incinerated by the Hyper Beam, and then absorbed by Samus to return her to normal. Cue the ship recognizing Samus, letting her onboard, and Adam apologizing for his other half's stupidity. However, somewhere along the line, the devs either ran out of resources, or decided that the ending was already complicated enough as it was, so they instead left us with the current ending.

This would've fixed several plot holes:

*If Quiet Robe retained his own senses after being infected by the X, then why did he re-activate the EMMIs?

*How was Quiet Robe X able to board Samus's ship? In Fusion, the Drachoras and Etecoons were only able to board after Adam determined that they weren't X hosts.

*Fusion and the manga had gone to such lengths to establish the X Parasites as one-dimensionally evil that suddenly having one become capable of sparing Samus just seems like a cheap rehash of what we already went through with the Metroids themselves.

So, I finally beat the game last night and my gosh what a ride!

MercurySteam has my blessing to take charge of this style of Metroid going forward.  As much as I loved Samus Returns they really knocked it out of the park with Dread.  I do have some nitpicks here and there but it's nothing compared to the sheer enjoyment and rush I got out of playing through and completing this game.

First of all, challenging game, I probably had more game overs with this game over the past few days than I've had with just about every Metroid game I've played combined over my lifetime with the series.  But they definitely made for some great "learn from your mistakes and do better next time" moments.   Boss fights were fun and had some creative attacks/tactics and the different E.M.M.I. made some later sections really tense.  Didn't help that it took me forever to get the timing down for deflecting their instakill move.

My only real gripe is that there's maybe two songs in the entire game that I really liked and remembered.  Not that I disliked any of the music in particular but there just wasn't much that really caught my ear.  Maybe in subsequent playthroughs I'll pick up on them a bit more but.

Overall, I'm both sad that I've completed the adventure but really excited to see what the future holds going forward.  Nintendo has found a fantastic partner in MercurySteam for this and if the game proves to be as successful as we're all hoping, we don't have to wait forever to see what Metroid 6 will bring us.

16 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I have a theory about the game's development that involves spoilers for the ending.

Hide contents

Quiet Robe was meant to be a post-final boss in the vain of Fusion's Omega Metroid.

My theory is that during the original ending, Samus's ship would've been unable to recognize her due to her Metroid transformation (think back to Phaaze in Corruption), and locked her out of the ship while the planet was starting to blow up. "But Adam is smarter than that", you might say. However, it's established in the opening cutscene that in addition to containing Adam's consciousness, Samus's ship also has a separate AI in charge of navigating (indicated by two different robotic voices).

Anyway, after being locked out, Quiet Robe appears in a mutated X form, is incinerated by the Hyper Beam, and then absorbed by Samus to return her to normal. Cue the ship recognizing Samus, letting her onboard, and Adam apologizing for his other half's stupidity. However, somewhere along the line, the devs either ran out of resources, or decided that the ending was already complicated enough as it was, so they instead left us with the current ending.

*If Quiet Robe retained his own senses after being infected by the X, then why did he re-activate the EMMIs?

*How was Quiet Robe X able to board Samus's ship? In Fusion, the Drachoras and Etecoons were only able to board after Adam determined that they weren't X hosts.

*Fusion and the manga had gone to such lengths to establish the X Parasites as one-dimensionally evil that suddenly having one become capable of sparing Samus just seems like a cheap rehash of what we already went through with the Metroids themselves.

1.  I do think this would be left to interpretation until we learn better down the line.  I'm still trying to connect the dots on his "I'm counting on you" line after his corpse is infected.

2. He was VERY quiet... Anyway, no idea about the manga, but at least from the game I don't recall Adam saying he made sure they weren't X hosts.  Just that they assisting him in moving the ship to Samus' location.

3. In Fusion, the SA-X attacks the Omega Metroid after Samus is downed. I actually got vibes of "Super" seeing that moment back in the day more than anything here if only because in both instances, after first attacking Samus, the Metroid in Super and SA-X in Fusion fight and sacrifice themselves against a boss that nearly defeats Samus which grants her the capability and window of opportunity to win in the end.

To be honest, I won’t be “waiting” for a Metroid 6 like I did with Metroid 5, and feel Dread’s as good a conclusion to the 2D saga as any. Samus can just ride off into the sunset. If 6 happens though, then cool.

And yeah, the ending was kinda rushed far as what Ty said. I wish Quiet Robe had been the U-Mos of his Chozo tribe; a mostly sole survivor.

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Hide contents

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

Her gunship should still be able to recognize her regardless of her Metroid transformation, as Samus has had Metroid DNA since she has had this iteration of the gunship. Samus's gunship in Metroid Prime 3 had to be able to allow clearance for Phazon after Norion due to Dark Samus's attack infecting Samus; however, it's always under a controlled situation due to the PED Suit's features which was lost after exposure to Phaaze. Dark Samus, corrupted Rundas, corrupted Ghor and corrupted Gandrayda would too be unable to enter the gunship in spite of Phazon clearance due to all representing a total loss of control in relation to the PED. 

1. Quiet Robe did not retain his own senses, he became a host for the X. The X perceive Metroids as a threat, and so, with the memories of Quiet Robe, the X re-activated the E.M.M.I. to kill the last Metroid. 

2. Quiet Robe X would still retain the Thoha strain of Chozo DNA, which is a core part of Samus's own DNA structure, so her ship itself should not be rejecting that presence. Adam probably would have analyzed Quiet Robe in a different situation, like the one in Fusion...where it seems the B.S.L. docking bay is completely undisturbed until the Omega Metroid rampage. Adam in Dread has an unstable planet about to explode and a transformed Samus Aran, wanting to get off said planet to not die, about to drain the entire power supply of their escape. Unlike with the Etecoons and Dachoras too, Samus, a Metroid, is presently onboard her ship and is able to kill any X threat quickly in her state. 

3. Metroids are the greatest threat to the X-Parasite. In Fusion, a SA-X completely ignores an injured Samus to go after the Omega Metroid with the Ice Beam. At the end of Dread, the X-Parasite that infected Quiet Robe retains his memories and knowledge. That X knows that the Thoha genes of his host can subdue the current Metroid threat it is facing, and so to ensure the best chance of survival of the X-Parasites, it sacrifices itself so as to significantly regress Samus Aran's Metroid state. I wouldn't look at that moment as the X-Parasite wanting to save Samus rather as an X wanting to try and save the ass of its species. Samus is still part Metroid, but not that much Metroid. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

I guess that's a fair point.

Ya know as much as people still give Ridley flak for being "shoehorned" in certain things (the hard gatekeeping against him was more annoying than him not being a boss in Dread itself though), Kraid honestly was just kinda there in Dread. The gallery makes me still think he was possibly a clone.

Kraid's appearance from the first trailer he was in of course got me to think there would be more classical enemies where he came from, but now in hindsight, I'd feel better if he wasn't there from a lore perspective. The story of Dread is completely detached from the Space Pirates yet he's just there for no discernable reason beyond fanservice. Yet it's fine when Kraid does it for fans but not Ridley apparently just because Kraid's been MIA longer.

Be it Dread Kraid being a clone which is what I think or the genuine article, the end result is still the fact that Raven Beak and company would've had to be practically following right behind Samus to gather either his body or DNA before Zebes exploded, which would beg the question of why would they only grab Kraid and literally nothing else.

My only way of making sense of it is that they figured either rescuing or cloning Kraid would be an easier beast for them to control or tame than like Ridley, especially after seeing what went down the last time Ridley was cloned.