METROID DREAD - October 8th!

I wonder if what you see of Kraid now with the chains and constraints is just phase 1 of the battle, while in phase 2 he breaks free and you see the rest of the body a la Super Metroid. That was honestly what made him most memorable out of the few appearances he previously had. 

One theory I saw was that Kraid breaks free and becomes Diggernaut 2.0 with a chase scene. On the other hand, the chains might be to make the fight more plausible than an unrestrained Kraid just sitting there.

Game is really going into classic boss territory more than I thought it would’ve. Apart from Ridley, also curious as to what others there might be that had been absent as long as Kraid was.

I think the Chozo warriors shown in the previous posted image will be on par with Samus, while their leader will be high above her, at least initially. If she wins it's because she's the series protagonist and she'll get some kind of boost or powerup to making overcoming him possible, but either way, this will be her toughest challenge yet. Villains that are stronger than the hero conventionally is just good writing 101. Even Ridley at times gains an edge on her and is stronger in the physical sense, but she wins because she has the skills and tools to beat him.

Didn't notice the first time, but cool how Samus was unintimidated when Kraid came at her. She just stood there and quietly charged her beam. Those are the kind of moments with her you love to see.

Less than 34 days until the day of Dread. Have both amiibo pre-ordered though i have to go to Best Buy to pick up that one and i bought the digital version from Gamestop so i hope i can still get the bonus, but as long as i get my download code hopefully at least a week before release so i have time to download i will be happy. I'm curious if i will get the gold points for digital even though i went through a different seller.

I feel like I missed a whole lot between the releases of the first and second trailers.

A friend motivated me to retry my second playthroughs of Super and Fusion--my taste in games (and life) has changed, and now they're too scary for me. Super's wall jumps are so janky that I resolved to sequence break to the wave beam, then through Brinstar without the freeze beam... only to reach a dead-end orange door. That's enough for me. I sequence broke Super Metroid so I'm a real man now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they’re on point with this. 

Phantoon might be a bit redundant after the Other M fanservice it had, but I’d take having it back too if it meant the original quadrant was back together in some form. With Dread being the last game of the sidescroller arc we've had until now, it makes sense to me for mostly everyone to be back for one last hurrah. That and fans take canon/deaths more seriously than the series itself ever did.

If they have gone in the direction of bringing back multiple old bosses, at least in the realm of how iconic Kraid is, that would elevate the experience for me. Metroid: Other M's final stretch within the Bottle Ship still stands out to me among every boss line-up in the series with the exception of Super Metroid, where the entire line-up may be iconic status. Ridley, Masked Nightmare, Unmasked Nightmare, Queen Metroid and Phantoon, I would say that experience of getting to and prevailing over those boss encounters is Other M at its best. Kraid and a Chozo leader are a great start for Metroid Dread to do better and the result could definitely be argued as the series' best boss line-up certainly in status and impact. Maybe they can even sprinkle in some balls and poles into the game for good measure. :P 

So I had given up on the possibility of getting the amiibo set and the collector's edition as they were mostly taken by scalpers; however, this evening the storm clouds parted and a glorious ray of sunshine came down upon the store I work for. I had no idea that the store would be carrying multiple collector's editions for Metroid Dread and plenty of the 2 packs. My store takes no preorders, so all I really need to do is make sure I'm over there early before the store opens. More than I was intending on spending tomorrow, but certainly what I'm willing to spend. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a really great day off into a holiday weekend. 

1 hour ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

So I had given up on the possibility of getting the amiibo set and the collector's edition as they were mostly taken by scalpers; however, this evening the storm clouds parted and a glorious ray of sunshine came down upon the store I work for. I had no idea that the store would be carrying multiple collector's editions for Metroid Dread and plenty of the 2 packs. My store takes no preorders, so all I really need to do is make sure I'm over there early before the store opens. More than I was intending on spending tomorrow, but certainly what I'm willing to spend. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a really great day off into a holiday weekend. 

What store?  I've only heard from some retail friends that their stores (Target, Gamestop) only have the amiibos coming in. If I can land both the amiibo set and collector's edition... I have the cash.  I will make this happen!

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

What store?  I've only heard from some retail friends that their stores (Target, Gamestop) only have the amiibos coming in. If I can land both the amiibo set and collector's edition... I have the cash.  I will make this happen!

I sent you a private message. I do hope everyone here is able to get the products they want from the Metroid Dread release. I'm starting to feel the hype after what I saw and I'm curious how most retail chains are showcasing products. If I didn't know what the Switch OLED was, I would probably feel like I was walking into the launch of the next Nintendo generation tomorrow morning.