METROID DREAD - October 8th!

That would be cool honestly. Dread speculation has not only been interesting, but refreshing.

As far as the special edition, a steelbook case, art book, and some cards I didn’t really find to be worth an extra $30. Maybe if it also had a soundtrack or something, but as is, was just as happy to preorder the regular edition. Still, I feel for everyone far as the scalpers.

I'm excited that hopefully both Metroid Dread and Metroid Prime 4 are putting Samus against her toughest antagonists and we'll be able to experience it all from her perspective. As the series' protagonist, Samus is likely going to win her final battles in these games, but I don't want her to look like she has won. An evil Chozo should beat the crap out of Samus, so should Sylux with a larger Metroid hatchling that has imprinted with the hunter. I would prefer both have multiple encounters with Samus Aran, and she be forced to retreat, but if it's a one time situation Samus Aran's armor and visor should be really broken and damaged in ultimately neutralizing these threats. 

I'm hoping too that the mysterious transmission regarding the potential survival of the X-Parasite is just a lure that Samus Aran will no doubt want to investigate given their threat potential to the whole galaxy, and that they aren't actually still alive. If an evil Chozo is the main antagonist for Metroid Dread, I'm hoping for a Gorea-esque villain in the sense that the Chozo will know how to manipulate not just Samus with her intentions to better the galaxy but also shady organizations within the Galactic Federation and their intentions for bioweapon development. The good of Samus and the bad of the Federation, in the form of the E.M.M.I.s, get drawn to ZDR and get wrapped up in whatever the Chozo has planned. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

Not sure if anyone saw it, but in the trailer there was a blink or you'll miss it frame of the SA-X shown.

aec_40.png.43c846f06eea399f4cf22981bb90f725.png

While a SA-X rematch could be interesting in a current game, would still prefer the X and SA-X be flashback material or investigation lure for Samus rather than actually being alive; glorified clickbait. If any X are still around though, it's because the evil Chozo allowed it and wants to use the species as a weapon against Samus and the Federation, as opposed to the good Chozo that wanted all X devoured by the Metroids. I guess there would be the possibility too of X mimic'd E.M.M.I.'s in that scenario, as it was established that the X can infect not only organic substances but inorganic ones or machines as well.

We've gone through the X's reign already though, and that would be just redundant after Fusion.

I don't think there will be a Federation versus Samus arc after seeing the newest trailer. Samus is the best at handling covert operations, the Federation knows that and may have just contracted her it seems to recover the missing E.M.M.I. off of ZDR even after downing the B.S.L. ZDR feels like the Chozo equivalent to what the Space Pirates made Zebes and the other side of the coin compared to Tallon IV. If the X are alive and present on ZDR, it should be different from Fusion. They should be well controlled by whatever Chozo lives on ZDR, and it could be interesting if the Chozo overall split over not just peace and war but also over the eradication of the X-Parasite with Metroids. The ones I imagine to be on ZDR would have wanted to research the X as a weapon. The massacre on SR388, depicted at the end of the Chozo memories in Metroid: Samus Returns, may have occurred under the impression that their fellow Chozo, creators of the Metroid, had succeeded in wiping out the X and so they were killed for hindering the military advancement of the race. 

6 hours ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

I don't think there will be a Federation versus Samus arc after seeing the newest trailer. Samus is the best at handling covert operations, the Federation knows that and may have just contracted her it seems to recover the missing E.M.M.I. off of ZDR even after downing the B.S.L. ZDR feels like the Chozo equivalent to what the Space Pirates made Zebes and the other side of the coin compared to Tallon IV. If the X are alive and present on ZDR, it should be different from Fusion. They should be well controlled by whatever Chozo lives on ZDR, and it could be interesting if the Chozo overall split over not just peace and war but also over the eradication of the X-Parasite with Metroids. The ones I imagine to be on ZDR would have wanted to research the X as a weapon. The massacre on SR388, depicted at the end of the Chozo memories in Metroid: Samus Returns, may have occurred under the impression that their fellow Chozo, creators of the Metroid, had succeeded in wiping out the X and so they were killed for hindering the military advancement of the race. 

To be honest, I forgot about the whole post-Fusion Samus vs Federation arc we all thought would happen for ages since the Dread news feed had started. I guess that was a bit of a bait and switch though. It also kinda feel like wasted buildup, to not follow through with the arc we were led to think would happen with Fusion's ending. I don't know if I can see Samus being willing to work with the Federation again after the B.S.L. incident too. It just seems weird after the last game essentially set up a space fugitive situation, but sometimes you gotta roll with the punches with the writing. At the very least, their relationship should be more shaky now after the B.S.L.

The Metroid manga and later on Prime 1 show that the Chozo are capable of some type of ascension which is why they don't show up physically at all after the manga. I wonder if somehow the Chozo in Dread was unable to ascend due to him being evil. That, or this Chozo is just part of their lost culture of warriors who chose not to ascend and remain in the physical realm by their own volition. I know in the past you had argued that the Chozo didn’t do enough to prepare the combat the Phazon crisis, which was a fair point, but they had become pacifists after their move to Tallon IV (the manga that came out around the same time put a heavy emphasis on them being pacifists too), so I didn't blame them. Their warriors may have already been gone or fled elsewhere before then at the time, but now I guess we know that they don't just dwell on one planet at a time, or they would've become extinct from the Phazon.

And yeah, I hope that's how the X are handled this time if they are in the game. I had seen some theorize that what if the Chozo seen in Dread was actually an X clone, but that would be really anticlimactic imo. First living Chozo we actually see in the games and it turns out to be “haha just kidding”. No, I would not want that, or the X just running wild again, making this Fusion 2.0. Plus the Chozo knew about the parasites before the Federation/Samus or anyone else, which was why they created the Metroids for the purpose of consuming them. Even in the case of weaponizing the X, no Chozo would go unprotected against them, I don't think.

Edited by Ridley Prime

The Galactic Federation has too much influence and reach for Samus to completely cut ties with them. Most of the potential disasters the galaxy has faced have began as issues the Federation has had. The quick development of Metroids by the Space Pirates on Zebes likely doesn't happen if they hadn't raided that research vessel, and Samus may not even be aware of this potential crisis if not for her relationship with the Federation. If she is for the good of the galaxy, keeping contact with the Federation would be essential otherwise she would have to stumble upon crises. While I cannot imagine Samus has a good opinion of the Federation after Other M and Fusion, their eyes and ears are significantly better than hers and allow her to be more responsive to threats the galaxy may face. Samus likely doesn't want the Federation to recover the E.M.M.I. that disappeared, especially once she gets hunted by them, but she also wouldn't want to risk Federation technology falling into the hands of bolder threats than the corrupt factions of the Federation. She needs to have a relationship with the Federation to be more aware of the E.M.M.I. and their disappearance. 

@Ridley Prime I think I commented on the Chozo having an inadequate response to Phazon when comparing the power of the Chozo in general to that of the Alimbics. Now that we're seeing the existence of Chozo that seem to have maintained a mindset that is without peace, more combat ready, that discussion would be more interesting. I'm hoping it'll be very difficult for me to think the Alimbics are the more powerful race after the events of Metroid Dread occur. I fully expect that the Chozo lore and activity on ZDR will emphasize the military might of the Chozo more than any other instance within the franchise. I'm not sure if any individual Chozo has been named as the Power Suit's creator. Considering all the Chozo technology, there is plenty to elaborate on and potentially contend against. 

I agree. I think that the Chozo on ZDR will know how to handle the X. If they do exist there, they exist for the Chozo's benefit. The Chozo being an X clone doesn't make much sense to me, unless those same people believe that the Chozo on ZDR is/are not connected to the hostile Chozo at the end of MSR's Chozo Memories because they have Metroid knowledge. For any living Chozo this far in the timeline to be a victim of the X-Parasite, they would have to be completely clueless and that is not supported by how ZDR's landscapes have depicted the Chozo that likely exist(ed) there. I do think there could be instances of Chozo-X and even SA-X on ZDR, but only at the direction of a living Chozo. I'm starting to want the X to be alive now as long as they are being controlled. There's a lot of potential through the behavior of the parasite to bring back plenty of threats to terrorize Samus. 

Ah, so there's more than one Chozo warrior. Even better.

Obligatory since Kraid is seemingly back despite all traces of him being destroyed when Zebes blew up, people can't use "Ridley is perma-dead so cannot appear after Fusion" as an excuse anymore. Wouldn’t be surprised if this Kraid was a clone or something though by the evil Chozo faction. Poor boy's in chains now too. I'm sure they'll similarly weaponize Samus's most recurring arch nemesis as well, but this will be overall one of the best games either way.

That's exactly how I would expect the initial battle between Samus and that Chozo to go. If there was any doubt before, there shouldn't be now, these are the Chozo at the end of Samus Returns' 100% Chozo Memories. Love the design of their leader, and I'm really into the symbols in gold on the red fabric that hangs from those armored shoulders. Knowing what we know so far about Samus starting out in the depths of ZDR from Treehouse Live and seeing what may be an early fight occur on a bridge, I think this is where Samus would plummet down and maybe her current suit reacted to the weaponry of the Chozo leader causing the white and blue alteration. Her suit has reacted in her favor before to what otherwise would be lethal to most with the Phazon Suit transformation. I'm curious what also saves her from the leader at the end of that encounter. Does her suit have a more destructive reaction as well to counteract that arm cannon blast and save her from death? Does she get saved by the Dachora and the Etecoons in some way, possibly piloting the ship once again to destroy that bridge and interrupt that fight? It'll be interesting to see what happens there as that scene plays out, because the leader seems like it has an intent to kill and the rest of the Chozo too have that intention.