METROID DREAD - October 8th!

I wouldn't mind a break from the Metroids either.  Thanks to a lot of the Prime oriented games we've been introduced to a variety of other races that help to expand the universe beyond just Samus and the threat of the Space Pirates.  It might be a nice change of pace to tackle on challenges beyond what has been Samus' primary objective throughout the series.

Races/Characters

Luminoth

Ylla

Ing (though gone now)

Phrygisian (Rundas' race)

Vhozon (Noxus' race)

Diamont (Spire's race, though mostly extinct)

Enoema (Kanden's race)

Kriken (Trace's race)

Elysian (Mostly extinct)

Alimbic (may be mostly extinct)

Sylux

Gandrayda

Ghor

3 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

No more Metroids for the mainline 2D series is fine, tho they'll likely still have presence throughout the Prime sub-series and other things, but they don't need to be in everything. Same with Ridley who I'd be fine with just living on in Smash at some point if nothing else. Samus can take breaks, but she's too prolific to ever retire permanently, methinks.

Even if ending with Dread meant no more mainline 2D, we would still get other kinds of games, but yeah.

Honestly, I would prefer her exploring more non-Federation missions. The Federation I would argue has had much more presence/milking than the Chozo at this point, and people want her to be on more solo missions again rather than in a group (like Prime 3, Other M, or Federation Force if you count it).

Wow, I actually understood all of that.

I am not well verse in Metroid lore but what you said makes sense as the title Metroid and the subset with Metroid Prime. I'd be fine if the Metroid tale ends here but Samus will never die and there will be some form of 2D games.

That's like saying there will be no more 2D Mario or DK, I know those series don't follow a story but this still a video game. If there's an idea to make another 2D Metroid, go for it!

This game isn't looking too bad so far - i might consider buying it, though i'm not sure since i've had difficulty getting into past 2D/3D Metroid games in the past (i believe i have the GBA port of Metroid somewhere, and Fusion thanks to the 3DS Ambassador program - only played Fusion briefly, though) but maybe i just haven't spent enough time playing them....

Only 3D game i own is Other M (granted i haven't gotten around to beating it) - i can't say that's a game i mind despite it's flaws.... I did like being able to freely go into first and third person - i think that might be one reason i was able to get into a 3D Metroid game easier... i personally think it would be nice if they brought that aspect back for Prime 4 but that could just be me who thinks that

Rented Prime 1 ages ago when i was younger and had difficulty getting into it considering it's always in first person.... - maybe that might be different if i played it nowadays? I haven't had too much difficulty getting into some first person games like Fallout or Borderlands and enjoy them nowadays... still haven't started Skyrim, though - but that could be a change of opinion for Metroid too...

On another note, reminds me that i forgot about the existence of Samus Returns on the 3DS until recently... should look into that and see if that interest me

Though on the other hand, there's a lot of 3DS games that i've been missing out on the last few years... - other than a few, i'm not sure which games to look into - difficult to look through things to find the gems with how much shovelware and garbage is cluttering the Eshop

Though on the other hand, wonder if we'll see any of them brought over like they did with Miitopia? Would save me money on buying them on the 3DS Eshop.... so a bit difficult to decide on that at the same time - i don't think i've bought too many 3DS games in general

9 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Not even Samus Returns or anything prior has had this kind of effect. People really want to have Dread, and are willing to buy Metroid's on whatever platforms they have in the meantime.

At this point I kinda would take a GBA Switch online over the 64, for Fusion and Zero Mission's sake.

Well, if anyone is a 3DS Ambassador, you should already own Metroid Fusion. I been wanting to replay Fusion ever since I downloaded the GAB ambassador games, but for some reason never did, and now is the perfect time to. I have a physical copy on GBA, but never finished it. I got to that spider boss near the end and I remember it kept kicking my ass, plus it was kind of a pain to get back to that boss.

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

Well, if anyone is a 3DS Ambassador, you should already own Metroid Fusion. I been wanting to replay Fusion ever since I downloaded the GAB ambassador games, but for some reason never did, and now is the perfect time to. I have a physical copy on GBA, but never finished it. I got to that spider boss near the end and I remember it kept kicking my ass, plus it was kind of a pain to get back to that boss.

The Nightmare boss......first time I finally killed it....then the damn parasite with the upgrade killed me.  Put the game on the shelf after that shi......

Because of this and the recent VC sales, this is a sign to Nintendo for 2 things-

• People love the Metroid series
• The fact that most of these games aren't on Switch is something they need to rectify

Like you're getting money either way but being honest here, the fact that the only Metroid games to play on Switch is just the original and Super (on NES and SNES online) is embarrassing and a disservice. Nintendo seems to think the availability of older Metroid games isn't that important and yet, we're seeing people entirely new to the franchise dusting off their Wii U’s in order to play the GBA titles for the first time. Much more people own a Switch than a Wii U though, and they don’t have access to a virtual console or anything. 

3 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Because of this and the recent VC sales, this is a sign to Nintendo for 2 things-

• People love the Metroid series
• The fact that most of these games aren't on Switch is something they need to rectify

Like you're getting money either way but being honest here, the fact that the only Metroid games to play on Switch is just the original and Super (on NES and SNES online) is embarrassing and a disservice. Nintendo seems to think the availability of older Metroid games isn't that important and yet, we're seeing people entirely new to the franchise dusting off their Wii U’s in order to play the GBA titles for the first time. Much more people own a Switch than a Wii U though, and they don’t have access to a virtual console or anything. 

That bold part is a big problem with NSO overall, not in how slow they distribute but that all series you want to play are on older platforms that ppl have to dust off to get access to. Yes, to Nintendo it's money to them all the same but don't you think with the install base of the Switch currently getting access to all past series of Nintendo IP sound like a more lucrative idea? Like I don't get that they appear to want to celebrate their past catalogue but the Switch sits alone with this install base very limited catalogue to their past.

Yes, I don't know how but Nintendo must remedy this soon as it is getting more ridiculous by the day.

I'm very excited knowing that we've got a new Metroid game coming out in a matter of months. The story and lore are what I'm looking forward to the most as I do want to know what all happens following Metroid Fusion and how it is impacted by the lore that has been added to the main series since, especially the potential for living, malicious Chozo to become a terrifying part of Samus's present situation. I love the E.M.M.I. already as it's nice for Metroid to have more of a horror element again. E.M.M.I. gives me Stranger Things and A Quiet Place monster vibes with all the chirping beeping sounds that they make while hunting Samus. The gameplay seems better albeit similar to Metroid: Samus Returns, which should make for a great game at least but might be closer to being a mid-tier Metroid experience than to my favorites. If Metroid Dread cracks my Top 5, the lore will probably provide that push. 

So far I would say the gameplay looks to be a definite improvement from Samus Returns, like how you can do a dash melee now which allows you to counter the enemy while moving forward (essentially evolving the melee counter introduced in SR), do a slide which is a nice maneuver in addition to the usual morph ball, the Spider Magnet which allows you to move and shoot freely while hanging onto certain walls and ceilings (a good new addition period for the 2D landscape), and the new and likely improved Aeion abilities which was already one of my favorite new features in SR.

With Returns itself, I was just more happy with Metroid as I knew it being back in an official capacity than I was hoping the game would break within my top 5 or something. If Dread happens to do it then great. Unlike SR I suspect it very well might, improving upon both Returns mechanically and Fusion as a sequel.

image0.png.fd0308b6df90f4456892eaeeade13658.png

Can’t believe I forgot until now, but will we see these little friends back in Dread? Don't really know what they could do though, assuming they aren't forgotten about in the story entirely. It'd be a bit of a copout to have them come in and save the day by controlling the ship again, though I'd be fine with them hanging around or inside the ship if nothing else.

I'm debating whether or not it would be a good idea to have Ridley in the game again.

Like, if this is supposed to cap off the story of Samus and the Metroids, then it's only fitting for her to have one last showdown with her arch-nemesis. But on the other hand, not only was he already the final boss of Samus Returns, but the last chronological appearance of Ridley himself was when the entire planet blew up at the end of Super (Other M and Fusion were a clone and an X Parasite mimicking said clone, respectively). Having the OG Ridley come back from that would fall into Rise of Skywalker-levels of plot contrivances.

Like, I want Ridley to come back, but I don't know if it would be good for the narrative.

8 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

I'm debating whether or not it would be a good idea to have Ridley in the game again.

Like, if this is supposed to cap off the story of Samus and the Metroids, then it's only fitting for her to have one last showdown with her arch-nemesis. But on the other hand, not only was he already the final boss of Samus Returns, but the last chronological appearance of Ridley himself was when the entire planet blew up at the end of Super (Other M and Fusion were a clone and an X Parasite mimicking said clone, respectively). Having the OG Ridley come back from that would fall into Rise of Skywalker-levels of plot contrivances.

Like, I want Ridley to come back, but I don't know if it would be good for the narrative.

I think if Ridley were to appear in Dread at all, it wouldn't be in any biological form, but as a 2.0 version of his robotic form in Zero Mission, given the machine theme that Dread has shown so far. I don't expect him though, but if it happens, then cool.

I understand those that are tired of seeing Ridley appear. He has a near monopoly when it comes to Metroid boss fanservice. If not for that, him appearing as much as he has wouldn't annoy some the way it does. That said, Kraid being robbed of his MP1 appearance (for example) wasn't Ridley's fault.

On the flipside, I'm tired of seeing people say Ridley's shoehorned now or that he steals the spotlight from villains/stole it last game by being a final boss. I mean going by that logic,

. Mecha Ridley stole the spotlight from Mother Brain in Zero Mission, though that was before the Ridley gatekeeping era, so never saw it said then.

. If we didn't already know that Dark Samus was the main villain of the Prime trilogy, you could surmise that she stole the spotlight from Emperor Ing at the end of MP2.

. Sylux stole spotlight from all the other hunters in his debuted game, and took some spotlight from Gorea. He also took some of the spotlight from Dark Samus and Aurora Unit 313 final bosses with his MP3 ending cameo.

. Phantoon stole Metroid Queen's spotlight in Other M as the true final boss.

. The Omega Metroid in Fusion stole the ending spotlight from SA-X.

But we don't think like that. As it was, the Metroid Queen in Samus Returns was still memorable just as she was with her other appearances. Returns is actually one of my favorite fights with her in fact (either it or the AM2R fight I would say was done best). Proteus Ridley being there after didn't take away from the Queen's impact. It just changed the calmer ending that Metroid II originally had, but it gave new context to the beginning of Super Metroid. Calm endings has never usually been Metroid’s style anyway.

Edit: Interesting to note that it wasn’t Sakmoto who decided Ridley be in Samus Returns, but the team at Mercury Steam. I guess we’ll see if they decide to use him again in some form or not.

There's bound to be games Ridley's not present, but I don't get why it's suddenly a problem that he's added to most games when it's always been the case. He's an established marketable fan favorite, not some random baddie. He doesn't necessarily need to be in everything though, Dread and MP4 included.

The Ridley Robot 2.0 idea aside, I could also see them bringing a version of Diggernaut back in Dread. It was one of the better (and fresher) parts of Returns. Maybe the B.O.X. robot from Fusion too... or Nightmare if you wanted to reuse it again somewhere.

But I'd also be fine with just mostly fresh enemies like what Dread has shown so far. I'm in either way. My question from my last post about the Etecoons and Dachoras remains though. I hope they're not forgotten about.

Edited by Ridley Prime