Male Birth Control

luigitornado

Male Birth Control  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take male birth control?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I'm a woman.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/31/male-birth-control-study-side-effects/#9yabngzOM8qO

So I've been lightly following this. I'm not super keen on all the details, but I'll try and summarize:

A few different groups of people are researching birth control options for men. Recently one group discovered a hormone that makes sperm stop swimming. Of course there are side effects. Erectile disfunction, muscle aches, mood swings, and acne.

The mashable article says the research was canned because of the side-effects----also alludes to a double standard as female brith control can cause the same problems---but of course I'm sure male birth control methods will still be looked into. I have a feeling this might cause some ire in certain communities.

So what do you think of male birth control (not a condom or spermicide mind you). Would you take it?

I wouldn't. And I don't care about any double standard.

Edited by LUIGITORNADO

I'm currently on birth control for medical reasons, though I do enjoy the "no kids" part as well, I must admit. The side effects do rather suck, but I've learned to deal with it throughout the years.

I do think it's nice that they're exploring options for men as well. Condoms are always available, of course, but it's nice to have multiple options for both genders so that everyone has a better chance of enjoying healthy sex.

I'm just gonna get sterilized as soon as I have the chance. Not that I think I have a chance of ever being in a position where that would matter, but I just want to make sure my chances go from 0% into the negatives.

But this is really good for those you want the chance of ever having children, but not right now. Still though, there is an argument to be made that condoms are provably effective, easy, cheap and comes with zero side effects. That said, some people just wanna do it bareback and that's perfectly fine and they should have the option to do so outside of the women taking on that burden. Lord knows they already have enough burdens to carry.

3 hours ago, LUIGITORNADO said:

So what do you think of male birth control (not a condom or spermicide mind you). Would you take it?

I wouldn't. And I don't care about any double standard.

This gives off a weird impression, are you saying even if it has no side effects you'd refuse to take it...?

8 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

This gives off a weird impression, are you saying even if it has no side effects you'd refuse to take it...?

If there were no side effects, I'd definitely take the pill. Even though my fiancee is on bc, I'd take it. If I were to ever sleep with someone else (I wouldn't, but if) I'd probably still use a condom due to STIs

15 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

No. Sorry. I'm saying I won't take it because the side effects. It just seems complicated for a problem that already has a solution.

Well I'm sure we could fabricate a universe I would take it. A bunch of what-ifs really.

Canned due to side effects? There are quite a few side effects for woman and birth control. Weight gain, suicide thoughts mood swings and many others. It messes with your hormones. In fact due to my medications for bipolor, I can't even take birth control because the medications negate each other completely rendering them useless.

I'd be very much for men taking birth control. Woman already have hormone effects due to our menstruation. 

I'm not a feminist in anyway at all, but I'm passionate about this due to my personal circumstance. 

3 hours ago, LUIGITORNADO said:

No. Sorry. I'm saying I won't take it because the side effects. It just seems complicated for a problem that already has a solution.

Well I'm sure we could fabricate a universe I would take it. A bunch of what-ifs really.

So what you're saying is you're okay with your SO taking it and suffering from side effects but you wouldn't do the same for them?

That's really shitty.

1 minute ago, ace said:

So what you're saying is you're okay with your SO taking it and suffering from side effects but you wouldn't do the same for them?

That's really shitty.

On top of having to deal with menstrual cycles too. I guess guys shouldn't have to deal with hormone issues because it's inconvenient for them. (Haaaaa, I'm so sorry girls)

And condoms by themselves are not magical fool proof birth control devices. If male birth control pills were to become viable, a responsible partner would wear condoms and take the pill. If you don't want to have kids period you should just get a vasectomy. (But keep wearing a condom to keep the spread of STDs down thanks)

So I just finished reading the article and the case study report. It's bull that they would stop the study. Even the article made it clear that the side effects of woman's birth control is worse. Why would it be fine for woman to risk their lives taking hormonal drugs, yet not being willing to continue exploring options for men. 

5 hours ago, Mao said:

If I was in a relationship with a woman of course I would take it if it's determined to be effective. Women already have enough shit to deal with, why wouldn't I want to help alleviate some of the burden off of her?

Or, alternatively, your decision could have nothing to do with any hardships one or the other may or may not be facing and is instead based on a desire to be more directly in control over your potential to procreate. It would only make sense for both participants to be fielding their respective goalies so to speak, as that would just further decrease the chance of any unfortunate 'goals'. And then if someone forgets to take their BC, or alternatively "forgets" to take their BC, you're still covered. 

Frankly saying 'no' to this question is completely illogical (assuming a reasonable price point and a lack of potential allergic reactions) unless the issue is with the side effects, which is understandable. When one of the side effects of a drug meant for a sexually active person is directly harmful to the progression of intercourse, i.e. erectile dysfunction... you have a problem. Barring any of that if you are male, sexually active, and don't desire to have children, there is no logical reason for saying no.

Without the nasty side-effects? Sure. As is? Nah.

I wouldn't expect my partner to either, but mine is weird and says she likes the challenge. She says she's barely noticed a difference so far. I nag her frequently to let me know if she wants to stop, but she keeps assuring me that she feels no need to and it's worth it for the skin on skin.

Kids these days.