Nintendo During The Holidays

Cinny

6 minutes ago, Jun The Bob-Omb Ace said:

I remember playing Pokémon Sapphire I got for Christmas on hours end... although I never did got to the league for some reason. I got locked out from the next gym.

What do you mean you got locked out. I think my memory is a little hazy how this could happen.

Just now, DLurkster said:

What do you mean you got locked out. I think my memory is a little hazy how this could happen.

I think I was playing around with the ferry boats a bit, apparently I managed get to Staleport City and find my way back to Mauville City without one before. Apparently I needed to get the HM Surf to swim to the next gym, but couldn't. I wasn't sure how to get back to Staleport again when I was younger...or I wasn't looking hard enough.

3 minutes ago, Jun The Bob-Omb Ace said:

I think I was playing around with the ferry boats a bit, apparently I managed get to Staleport City and find my way back to Mauville City without one before. Apparently I needed to get the HM Surf to swim to the next gym, but couldn't. I wasn't sure how to get back to Staleport again when I was younger...or I wasn't looking hard enough.

Ah, that makes sense and I think I know where and when you're talking about, I believe after the 5th gym the trainer father. You could use Surf if you had it already. I don't remember where you get but I'm sure you can till shortly after the 5th gym, you could of missed it possibly while exploring and playing around. Again, memory is fuzzy if this is accurate or possible to fix.

I get that "I wanna kick some ass" feeling around the holidays cuz the first 2 games I got with my NES, aside from SMB / Duck Hunt that came with it, were Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden and damn was that one of the best Christmases ever! :D

As far as this holiday season and Nintendo, if I can just grab me one or two of those NES Mini controllers, that will make my holidays because I might finally be more inclined to go back and play the ton of NES VC games I have that for the most part I've avoided playing because I hate using the Wii remote and I don't like the feel of diagonal face buttons with NES games. I'd kinda like to pick up the NES Mini itself just as a collector's item, though I'd probably keep it in the box since I have all the included games that I care about on VC.

So yeah, I get that warm, fuzzy feeling around the holidays in regards to just video games in general but I guess given that Nintendo started that for me back when I was 10, the fondest (i.e. earliest) memories are with Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Deku said:

I waited in line for the Wii for 17 hours, brought it home at midnight, and played Wii Sports. After a couple hours of sleep, I went to GameStop and picked up my preorder for Twilight Princess, a game I've been desperately wanting for a giant chunk of my 12 years of life. Bringing it home and actually playing it was incredibly surreal. My memory of those couple of days are so fond that I remember many minute details. The one that stands out the most was the nice cool weather. Now, every year when the weather gets cold, I get seriously nostalgic for November 2006 and have the urge to play Zelda.

YESSSS THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TOO MAN AAAAAAH

I waited nearly a whole day for the Wii in Wal-Mart, lmao

My biggest Nintendo Holiday would have to be the year I got Super Mario All Stars Limited Edition, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii. More so the Super Mario All Stars part and the Super Mario Galaxy 2 Part because they reminded me of the year we finally had Snow on a Christmas Day here in my town. My second favorite would be the year I received my current Laptop PC and third would be the year I received the now soon to be last generation Wii U. The reason my second favorite Christmas is the New Laptop year is because, There was just nothing I wanted or needed more at the time. The Wii U comes in 3rd because it was new at the time but also allowed you to play your Previous Wii Games too meaning I could retire my Wii Console too lol.

I have other Christmas memories too, but these just stand out more for the time being.

Definitely a lot of fun holidays with Nintendo games involved.  I think for me personally it has to be the year Ocarina of Time came out.  That was the one thing I was looking forward to most and my mom purposely handed me that gift last.  When I opened it up and saw that cover art staring back at me I couldn't contain myself.  This day in particular I remember well because it was a cold and rainy christmas morning so I had an excuse to stay inside and play Zelda all day. I ended up playing from like noon or something until 3AM the next morning and the only progress I made in that time was getting to Jabu Jabu.  I wasted so much time just exploring and taking it all in but that was part of the fun and my dad was sitting there almost the whole time just watching me play.

One of my fondest Holiday memories (and a very recent one at that) was getting my Wii U on launch day back when I was still living in Seminary, and my friend from the state of Washington, Tristan (known as chaoszieg on the GameFAQs boards and Yusei on my own forum) was staying with me (the other good things about that month of November is that Obama defeated Romney in the election and I went to see Wreck-it-Ralph).  Anyway, that day, my brother came to visit for a little bit like he usually did most weekends and we had a good time.  After my grandma took him home, my aunt and uncle came over that Sunday as my uncle had promised me to take me to Best Buy to get the Wii U and two games for it that I pre-ordered (those games being New Super Mario Bros. U and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge), so he, Tristan and myself went to Best Buy to pick up my stuff while my grandma and aunt stayed home.

After getting my stuff, I looked around to make sure no one was going to kill me for my Wii U (but living in Mississippi, I don't have to worry too much as people can be more courteous than you give them credit for) while getting back to the vehicle.  When the three of us got back home, we walked in to see my aunt and grandma were watching the first Twilight on FX (my aunt and uncle actually like that bullshit).  When I started to unbox my Wii U, I remembered the first time I held the Game Pad as I could almost hear the sounds of Benedictine monks playing in my head as it was almost a spiritual experience and I had been excited for the Wii U since 2011.  My friend and neighbor, Jarrett also came over after hearing I got the Wii U since he was looking forward to playing it as well.  And while I was getting my Wii U set up and updated to do all the things I wanted it do as a game system hooked up to the internet and them some, Tristan started to watch a little Twilight since he had heard about how bad the movies were, and he would come in occasionally stressing just how bad Twilight was.  Basically, the movie takes place in Washington, where Tristan comes from, and from his experience, Stephanie Meyer was getting so many things wrong about the state and putting lines in that made no sense to him.  I even remember watching a little myself when I saw James do his little vampire jump towards Bella, and thinking to myself, "Man, the special effects suck ass."  Anyway, that's just a really fond memory for me.

Another great memory, as well as being an older one, was the month of December back in 2001 when my dad got me my first Gamecube and first two games, Luigi's Mansion and Star War Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader as both a birthday and Christmas present (my birthday is on December 14), and just enjoying myself with those games.  After Christmas of that year, I got Super Smash Bros. Melee and two other games (being Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and Tarzan Untamed).  I got Melee home with me and just about stayed up until next morning playing Melee to death, learning its intricacies and seeing how it compared to other awesome fighting games I played in the past (such as Marvel vs. Capcom 2), and realizing just how awesome it was.  And December of next year, my dad got my Metroid Prime as my birthday present, and even got a good slew of groceries, a big dinner spread from Popeye's and even bought himself an N64 with an expansion pack and copy of Majora's Mask from Game Exchange (the same stuff of his I would inherit after his death in 2009), so that was just awesome.  And after Christmas of that same year, I bought my first Game Boy Advance with my first four games for it (being Metroid Fusion, A Link to the Past, Mega Man Zero and Street Fighter Alpha 3) as well as two new Gamecube controllers and a copy of Mario Party 4.  Overall, a lot of fond memories of being a Nintendo fan during the Holiday Season.

It's not a clear memory but I vaguely recall the Christmas morning when I got Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES(might not have exactly been mine but that is how my brain remembers right now). I was never good at the game yet I had a lot of fun playing and something of a mixture of boredom/enjoyment watching my brothers play. In 2000 I got a Game Boy Color for Christmas which opened up my visuals for handhelds to a new level of enjoyment. My plan this year for Christmas is to give two of my nephews and my niece each a version of Sun/Moon(niece and one nephew are siblings so they get opposite versions, other nephew gets the one I don't pick as my main version). One memory not related to the holiday was my High School graduation gift of Mario Party 4 and later SSBM cause my mom thought they were the same thing but when she showed it to me I told her they were very different games. I had a good Christmas the year I got Majora's Mask for N64(thanks to one of NP's many resubscription offers, I got the game, guide and another year of the magazine), still have my original cartridge to this day.

7 hours ago, Satomi Famicom said:

YESSSS THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TOO MAN AAAAAAH

I waited nearly a whole day for the Wii in Wal-Mart, lmao

Haha, I waited at Wal-Mart too. They wouldn't let you have a spot in line unless you were buying a Wii. Obviously my mom and I weren't buying separate systems, but this scalper woman next to me gave me the money to buy her another Wii, so my mom would buy mine. Now that I think about it, nearly everyone there was a scalper. I was the only child there and this one guy asked what game I was excited for, then acted bewildered that I would want some "princess" game. The same woman next to me at least corrected him, telling him that Twilight Princess is the new Zelda game.

That woman was pretty cool, actually. She bought me some popcorn chicken and a Sudoku book after my DS's battery died. :Tongue:

19 minutes ago, Deku said:

Haha, I waited at Wal-Mart too. They wouldn't let you have a spot in line unless you were buying a Wii. Obviously my mom and I weren't buying separate systems, but this scalper woman next to me gave me the money to buy her another Wii, so my mom would buy mine. Now that I think about it, nearly everyone there was a scalper. I was the only child there and this one guy asked what game I was excited for, then acted bewildered that I would want some "princess" game. The same woman next to me at least corrected him, telling him that Twilight Princess is the new Zelda game.

That woman was pretty cool, actually. She bought me some popcorn chicken and a Sudoku book after my DS's battery died. :Tongue:

Holy shit - I'll have to like, post my experience sometime soon about getting my Wii. It's nearly identical to yours in ways. I was so confused as to why so many adults were there constant discussing how much it was going to go for. I was young and just wanted to play Zelda and Trauma Center. XD

Probably one of the best recent memories I had of being a Nintendo fan during the Holidays was my birthday back in 2013.  Basically, I was wanting to go visit my mom, stepdad and brother for my birthday, but grandma and Chris made up the bullshit claim that I had to go babysit Chris's daughters while he was at work.  The day before my birthday, I went to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse, and then I went to Best Buy to do some browsing and shopping (I forget what game I got, though it wants to say it was Sonic: Lost World).  After that, my birthday rolled around and I was feeling pretty letdown that I had to go babysit, though that was until I started to deduct a few things, and sure enough, just as I thought, my family was throwing a surprise party.  Even though I wasn't that surprised as they were hoping I'd be, it was still very cool as it was a Mario-themed party with a giant, chocolate birthday cake with Mario-themed icing, and about four Holiday edition sized bags for Mario 3D Gummies.  And of course, we had Mario-themed party favors to go along with it (the reason for this is that I loved to wear my Mario hat I got from Club Nintendo everywhere I went as a regular hat).  As for the big birthday present I got, it was a copy of Pikmin 3 that I wanted my aunt Rhonda and Chris to get me for Christmas, but they decided to let me have it earlier.  After the party settled down, I showed off Dead or Alive 5 to Chris's daughters, and I remember how shocked Chloe was when she how crazy the fighting was in the game as she asked, "Do these women have fists of steel?"  I think that was because I was playing as Hitomi while kicking Zack's ass around, and for one who's played Dead or Alive, you have to realize how powerful Hitomi's punches are.  Overall, very memorable Holiday moment I had as a Nintendo fan.

1 hour ago, Satomi Famicom said:

Holy shit - I'll have to like, post my experience sometime soon about getting my Wii. It's nearly identical to yours in ways. I was so confused as to why so many adults were there constant discussing how much it was going to go for. I was young and just wanted to play Zelda and Trauma Center. XD

Scalpers are the dark underbelly of society  ...fueled by the people willing to pay their prices.

17 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Scalpers are the dark underbelly of society  ...fueled by the people willing to pay their prices.

Pretty much. The day Wii launched there was a dude selling cases of Wii systems out the back of his SUV for upwards of $500... and he actually sold a few while I was waiting outside for my dad to pick me up.  My manager asked him to leave a few times and I think called the cops but they hadn't arrived by the time I left.