Nintendo During The Holidays

Cinny

Here in just over a day, it'll be the first of November. Crazy how fast this year flew by!

I wanted to take a minute to say that for me, personally, there is no warmer time to be a Nintendo fan than during the Holiday months.

Yes, I know that Nintendo doesn't have a TON of stuff releasing this fourth quarter like the normally would - but I'm more than content with catching up with my Wii U's library, looking back at older games, and of course, enjoying any of the new content on its way out.

I still have Yo-Kai Watch 2 to start, in less than a week I have Mario Party Star Rush to pick up, a week later the NES Mini System, and then later this month we have the new long-awaited Pokemon Sun and Moon games! When you think about it, that's a pretty nice month for Nintendo if you look at it like that.

But yeah - ever since I was a kid, there was just always something so cozy, warm and friendly about Nintendo during the Holidays. It just makes me wanna drink hot chocolate while wrapped up in a blanket with my GameBoy Advance SP, or my DS playing Mario Kart.

The ambient snow worlds in Zelda...the sound of the whispy cold air whipping through you in Super Mario...the quiet, peaceful and sometimes festive nights of the December sky in Animal Crossing...aaah, I can just smell sugar cookies already. :D

Does anyone else here also get that warm, fuzzy feeling of being a Nintendo fan during the Holidays?

il_570xN.402017208_t2qb.jpg

Nintendo holiday memory theme thread, okay I'll bite.

I think I got something....huh? I don't have many but they're not Nintendo games, tho they are on Nintendo consoles.

The on I remember fondly is when I rent and beat Banjo Kazooie around Christmas break as a kid. I was able to beat it cause I played it so many time at McDonald N64 kiosks back in the day. So with the trial and errors there I spent my whole Christmas break to finish the game with what was required to get to the end. I had blast looking out my window seeing snow falling and then back to my old CRT TV with Kazooie launching in the air to fly in the pirate theme world. It was such a great contrast to see. And it wasn't like I preferred over the other but I would be in either having fun.

Yeah, good times.

There are some particular Nintendo games I give more attention to around Christmas. I have fond memories of playing Super Mario 3D Land around this time 4 years ago. I also have fond memories of playing Zelda: Link to the Past on the GBA on Christmas 2002, where I also got a CRT TV for my bedroom finally. I spent my Christmas money on SSBM just when it lowered to $30. I spent the remainder of my Winter break doing nothing but playing it.

I'm also looking forward to replaying Wario Land 4 later this year. It was one of my first GBA games, and I'll probably never forget the commercial:

I can't really think of a specific memory from getting any video games on Christmas that stands out but...

NSIDER/NSIDER2  Wii Shop / E Shop / Virtual Console Secret Santa gift exchanges were EPIC.     I enjoyed running them and making the matches, setting up the gifting tiers, and then seeing how people liked what popped up on their Wii the next morning.  I got a ton of games that way and sent a ton of great games out to people.  I think that is one area where I wish Nintendo hadn't dropped the boat on with the eShop on the WiiU--dropping the ability to gift games  to people.  It was very cool to have that  blue light start to glow on Christmas morning and see what someone sent you along with the Wiimails with "Christmas themed" Miis.

** The April Fools and the Halloween Spooky themed game exchanges were also great to do as well.

I did enjoy busting out Duck Hunt when it hit the WiiU VC a few years ago as I had the game with my NES but somehow my Zapper didn't want to function on my CRT tv I had anymore even though the NES and the game ran fine.  I spent half a day skeet shooting and capping the ducks.... and that dog LOL.

@Satomi Famicom

I have to agree with you 100%, Satomi Famicom.  I talked to my brother about a similar thing that works with what you're saying.  Basically, playing a Nintendo game isn't any different from watching a Disney/Marvel movie, in that both forms of entertainment have a huge amount of charm to them, and charm works well with the Holidays.  After all, can you think of any other holiday icons more charming than Santa Claus, Christmas Trees, Gingerbread Cookies and Snowmen (there is the whole birth of Jesus thing as well, but being an atheist, I don't celebrate Christmas for that)?  The same can be said for Disney movies and characters, Marvel Cinematic Universe movies and characters, and the Nintendo games and characters.  I mean, in a world where everything in gaming is trying to be dark, serious and so complex that it ends up feeling very simple in the not-good way, we need to be reminded of why Nintendo is still one of the bigger and greater gaming companies out there when it comes to entertainment.  Superhero movies are the same way as the X-Men movies, the Daredevil movie and the Sony-developed Spider-Man movies tried to be so dark and edgey, but in the end, they lacked the charm that the Marvel movies under Disney have (of course, the other thing the X-Men movies lacked was a consistent plot).  And don't get me started on the DC movies as Zac Snyder has his head so far up his ass that he thinks he's making those movies dark in a cool way, yet ends up making it feel more childish, especially when you factor the many logic problems he doesn't take into consideration (there is Suicide Squad, but that wasn't by Zac Snyder).  Anyway, that's my feelings of how Nintendo works with the holidays, as does Disney/Marvel.

Edited by Albedo238
Just now, DLurkster said:

I guess you're there especially this Christmas but I was more speaking about the first two Christmas Nintendo had with Wii U more than the recent ones.

I don't know, I thought the Holiday season of 2014 was pretty good for Nintendo considering they had the best games that end of 2014 with stuff like Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Bayonetta 2 (packaged with the enhanced, Wii U version of the first game), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Pokémon: Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Ultimate NES Remix, NES Remix Pack and the first two waves of amiibos.  Sure, the sales didn't compare to the ones for PS4 and Xbox One since people were still treating the over-rated garbage like Destiny like it was the greatest thing ever, but Nintendo sure did have the better year when it came to having good games as 2014 was pretty rough for the PS4 and Xbox One owners that actually wanted quality games, yet only got very few.  And even then, those quality games for the systems didn't sell well compared to the likes of Destiny, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Titanfall.  Even Angry Joe admitted that much.  Hell, it was also the year that Eminem sold his PS4 in exchange for a Wii U in preparation for Smash Bros., and I don't say that as it's a big celebrity getting a Wii U, but more like another PS4 owner realizing that their system just wasn't cutting it that year.  Overall, the Wii U sales weren't good, but at the same time, it was the best year to be a Nintendo fan in 2014.

I waited in line for the Wii for 17 hours, brought it home at midnight, and played Wii Sports. After a couple hours of sleep, I went to GameStop and picked up my preorder for Twilight Princess, a game I've been desperately wanting for a giant chunk of my 12 years of life. Bringing it home and actually playing it was incredibly surreal. My memory of those couple of days are so fond that I remember many minute details. The one that stands out the most was the nice cool weather. Now, every year when the weather gets cold, I get seriously nostalgic for November 2006 and have the urge to play Zelda.

30 minutes ago, Ferry said:

Those are the most amazing Christmas tree decorations I've ever seen. Did you make them? I think I've just fell in love and now I need to make a tree filled of these myself!

I wish! Haha, I honestly found this on Google Image Search, but it's soooo pretty! I want a tree just like it. @_@

7 minutes ago, Albedo238 said:

I don't know, I thought the Holiday season of 2014 was pretty good for Nintendo considering they had the best games that end of 2014 with stuff like Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Bayonetta 2 (packaged with the enhanced, Wii U version of the first game), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Pokémon: Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Ultimate NES Remix, NES Remix Pack and the first two waves of amiibos.  Sure, the sales didn't compare to the ones for PS4 and Xbox One since people were still treating the over-rated garbage like Destiny like it was the greatest thing ever, but Nintendo sure did have the better year when it came to having good games as 2014 was pretty rough for the PS4 and Xbox One owners that actually wanted quality games, yet only got very few.  And even then, those quality games for the systems didn't sell well compared to the likes of Destiny, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Titanfall.  Even Angry Joe admitted that much.  Hell, it was also the year that Eminem sold his PS4 in exchange for a Wii U in preparation for Smash Bros., and I don't say that as it's a big celebrity getting a Wii U, but more like another PS4 owner realizing that their system just wasn't cutting it that year.  Overall, the Wii U sales weren't good, but at the same time, it was the best year to be a Nintendo fan in 2014.

My two years include 2014, I don't count the launch period of Wii U in 2012 as a year. Some to most ppl say that Wii U lineup got good as soon as Pikmin 3 came out. (though it was to be release earlier year in 2013, launch window I believe) From there you had the WWHD release SM3DW and such, and like you mentioned going into 2014 was great and I would say was it peak like all Nintendo consoles.

It's always near the midlife console cycle the best from Nintendo comes out and towards the end not much comes out. The Wii was exception with SMG 2, Skyward Sword, Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblad Chronicles. What is the Wii U ending on, Paper Mario: Color Splash and eventually Breath of the Wild, always dong their best to end on a good note, Nintendo.

2 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

My two years include 2014, I don't count the launch period of Wii U in 2012 as a year. Some to most ppl say that Wii U lineup got good as soon as Pikmin 3 came out. (though it was to be release earlier year in 2013, launch window I believe) From there you had the WWHD release SM3DW and such, and like you mentioned going into 2014 was great and I would say was it peak like all Nintendo consoles.

It's always near the midlife console cycle the best from Nintendo comes out and towards the end not much comes out. The Wii was exception with SMG 2, Skyward Sword, Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblad Chronicles. What is the Wii U ending on, Paper Mario: Color Splash and eventually Breath of the Wild, always dong their best to end on a good note, Nintendo.

Don't forget Kirby's Dream Collection.  That was definitely worth getting, especially for the New Challenge Stages as it brought back the Smash ability.  Kirby's History was also pretty cool, especially with it containing three full episodes of the anime (though that show was mostly dogshit, especially after 4Kids got their hands on it).

9 minutes ago, Albedo238 said:

Don't forget Kirby's Dream Collection.  That was definitely worth getting, especially for the New Challenge Stages as it brought back the Smash ability.  Kirby's History was also pretty cool, especially with it containing three full episodes of the anime (though that show was mostly dogshit, especially after 4Kids got their hands on it).

I don't believe I know that title but that sounds like something Nintendo would do for anniversary celebration. Though I don't play a lot of Kirby titles, I still love the series.

That game collection was for the Wii or was it for the 3DS?