Opinion: What do you feel is a videogame missed opportunity?

So yeah, I'm sure there are dream games people wish had come to fruition or maybe a game they looked forward to didn't turn out all that great and wished for a redo.  Maybe, a game left itself with an open ended conclusion but to this day has not seen a sequel to tie up loose ends?  All this and more; what is your take?

As for me:

Tales of Symphonia - Mithos' Journey

Symphonia is still my favorite in the series even today and I kinda wish they would remake it in a more modern engine that they use for Tales games nowadays.  I really enjoyed the game especially playing through it with my brother all those years ago and while it was an unnecessary sequel I did enjoy Dawn of the New World as well.  However, even though we know how the ending would play out I always wished for another game in that universe to cover the journey of Mithos, Kratos, Yuan and Martel.  It would have been a cool way to see first hand just how hard they tried to quell the war themselves and the events that eventually led Mithos down the path that Symphonia introduced us to.

Arc Rise Fantasia - The weight of rough voice acting/direction

This is such a great RPG with a fun battle system and an awesome OST.  Great cast of characters, too!  But so many people have no idea because the localization effort was so inconsistent when it came to the VA work that this sticking point in most reviews alone made it out to be the butt of a cruel joke.  And a double whammy for me personally, the artist for the characters also worked on Eureka Seven, a favorite anime of mine. (seriously Alfard is just Moondoggie in prince garb, Adele is basically Anemone and L'Arc is a skinnier faced Renton) And honestly quite a few characters were actually fine, but with many of the main case either having dubious voice direction or odd script dialogue I understand why the worst of it stuck with people than what worked.  Crazy classic RPG-esque names like L'Arc Bright Lagoon aside the game was a lot of fun to play especially when tackling your battle strategy by how you allocated attributes to your weapons. 

And the music though, a couple of my favorite tracks below:

As far as I know, Neutopia (tg16) never got to #3 even though the ending of 2 left that wide open and the series never continued to my knowledge on other platforms.

I love top down 2d Zelda but I still think LoZll offered a lot of possibilities with side scroll portions, over wold map exploration and interconnectivity, sword techniques (not really revisited till much later 3d games), real magic spells, and experience points.  I think they let this idea go to soon without perfecting on it.

I am not sure what has happened with Mario kart and battle mode over the course of the series...very hit or miss on arena designs most times, adding and subtracting mode types seems whimsical at best, and I still can't fathom how mk8's racetrack idea was considered good considering lack of running into opponents.  It just seems too easy to do it right or better.

How did gifting games via Nintendo's shop disappear after the Wii?

The reboot of Star Fox on WiiU.  IMO it seems too easy to explore a bigger character select screen for missions; to open up online dogfighting multiplayer--ships, tanks, and or boats; new story lines; or quite honestly perfecting ideas from SF Adventure.

Online F Zero racing game?

How did a Diddy Kong Racing 2 never happen?  Reboot on DS doesn't count but that did have some good ideas to work with.

With the Wii and Switch (heck SNES w' super scope 6) how a duck hunt sequel never happened.

Why did Nintendo abandon the art style of smw2 in future Yoshi games?  

BUT I DIGRESS...

Here are my quick thoughts.  

-Fawful not existing at all/hot take. Everyone just likes him because of his random dialogue lol.  

-Bowser's Inside Story taking somewhere else than the Mushroom Kingdom for the majority of the game. Why not explore Beanbean Kingdom again?

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe not having more DLC. 

-Mario Kart 9 finally exists.  

-More classic songs for The Beatles: Rock Band.

-People calling out Wakka for his behavior in Final Fantasy X.

-How linear FFX is, and how there is no true map exploration.  

-Better summons in FFX.  

-Blitzball actually being FUN.   

-Obvious sequels to series we haven't seen in years. 

-Getting rid of the thunderstorm mini game in FFX.

-The voice acting in Spider-Man 2.

-Checkpoints in the ending parts of Final Fantasy III DS.  

-Choosing the original music for Final Fantasy IV DS. 

-Choosing a difficulty selection for Final Fantasy IV DS. 

-Choosing the original music for Final Fantasy for the GBA Dawn of Souls. 

-LA Gangster parody, Western, Industrial Revolution British, 70s Punk, 80s Metal, and other great time ideas for Crash Bandicoot: WARPED! and Crash 4: It's About Time! 

-More puzzle bosses in Professor Layton And The Unwound Future. 

-HD editions of the Professor Layton games that were on the DS. 

-Nerfing EVIL JESSICA in Dragon Quest VIII 3DS. F ALLURING GAZE.  

-Bringing back more classic bosses in the Dragon Quest VIII 3DS endgame. 

-Nerfing the true final boss of Octopath Traveler. 

-Gyakuten Kenji 2 actually being released worldwide. 

-Dragon Quest V having a better capture and tame rate. *stares at Liquid Metal King Slime or whatever*

-Luigi's Mansion 3DS having better controls.

-Luigi's Mansion 3DS having better particle physics. 

-Luigi's Mansion 3DS having a better time catching the Boos by lowering how much time is needed to capture them. 

-Kirby's Dream Land 2 having a few more power-ups. 

-Kid Icarus: Uprising having duels! Having arrow swords clash with Dark Pit and other bosses than just be a 95% shooter!

-Fire Emblem Fates games having better stories like 3H. 

-Guitar Hero: Aerosmith having more classic songs. 

-PARTNERS IN TIME REMAKE! WE DIDN'T NEED ONE FOR BISS! 

-Paper Jam having classic Paper Mario bosses. And other better NPCs. 

-Custom Robo HD. Maybe there'd be renewed interest?! 

-The toxic boat place getting a total redesign in Banjo Kazooie. Make it less frustrating. 

-Rare releasing their Rare compilation on Nintendo Switch. 

-Danganronpa V3 having alternate endings. Because their current one is hit/miss. 

-The Elibe Fire Emblem games don't have a remake yet. 

-The Tellius Fire Emblem games don't have a remake yet, and make Radiant Dawn much more bearable. 

-Super Metroid having a better jumping arc and better platforms. 

-Nemesis being more persistent in the remake. 

-Playing more as Carlos and exploring a little more of the RCPD in the remake. 

-More obvious choices in New Poke'mon Snap. NOT ALL OF THE POKE'MON, MIND YOU.. 

-Speaking of which... TEAM DEXIT. The tagline is to "catch 'em all", and if I can't transfer all my Poke'mon to the current Gen, I'm not playing the new games anymore. 

-More DLC for Gen VIII so everyone comes back. 

-Gen IV remakes being good and having all the Poke'mon. Still bitter. 

-The Poke'mon Mystery Dungeon DX remake having recent Poke'mon after the endgame. 

-The most notorious last few levels of Sonic 2 actually being FUN. 

-Persona 4 Golden should be on the Switch. 

-Person 5 Royal should be on the Switch. 

-A decent Persona 3 remake should be on the Switch.

-The first Persona games getting ports on the Switch. Seriously, who plays them on the PS portable consoles nowadays? 

-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment remake getting localized. And on the Switch. 

-Shin Megami Tensei IV on the Switch.

-Mother 3 getting localized. Terry Crews wants it, Nintendo. 

-Crash 4: It's About Time! going a bit more sane on its number of collectibles. It doesn't have to be Donkey Kong 64. 

-Donkey Kong 64 getting a remake, but revamping the collectible system. And the three big Kongs (Dixie, Tiny, and Cranky) being playable instead of the three made for the game.  

-CTR Nitro-Fueled having more a few more tracks and characters to coincide with Crash 4: It's About Time.

-Ripto being in CTR Nitro-Fueled. Nobody cares about Gnasty Gnorc. 

-Spirit of Justice having a few more cases to make all the characters shine. Athena was totally useless after her debut in Dual Destinies.

-Justice For All having a better third case. WE ALL HATE TURNABOUT BIG TOP. 

-The first Ace Attorney Investigations having better cases. The fifth case needs to be shortened too. 

-Final Fantasy IX having better and memorable bosses, better mini-games, a better trance system, and a rematch against a boss that kicked the team's butt for a while. 

We never get closer for Beatrix.  

-Final Fantasy VIII Remake games being really, really, really phenomenal and being released before the turn of the century. Please, SE, don't F it up! 

-Sacred Stones getting a well-deserved remake. 

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Need I say more? If it's because of the music, make Tee Lopes cover the music too. He's done his part with Sonic Mania. 

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses with a better soundtrack. What's with this out of place dubstep?! 

-Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite in general. 

-Playstation Smash game in general.

-Sonic Mania having a sequel.

-Plague Knight implementing Scepter and King Knights' level ideas, and not just rehashing Shovel Knight's levels. 

-MORE for Monster Hunter Rise. 

-MORE for Kirby: Star Allies. 

-Better swimming controls for Majora's Mask 3D. 

-Let's Go Poke'mon Gen II! 

-Leaving some classic lines and memes in the Ace Attorney HD games.  

-Chrono Trigger remake. 

-Thousand Year Door remake to show the new guys how Paper Mario was better. 

-Super Mario Sunshine actually having better physics, challenges, level design. 

-Classic Link's Awakening soundtrack.  

-Poke'mon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu having a better postgame. 

-Mega Man IV and V actually being memorable. 

-Newer Paper Mario games actually being fun. 

-Crash Bash getting a decent remake. 

-Band Hero being more fun. 

-The entirety of Yoshi's New Island music. Or just the kazoos. 

-Poke'mon Conquest having a better sequel. /hot take 

-Super Paper Mario having the partner battle system. When I think of Paper Mario, I think of RPGs, not platformers. 

-The Oracle games having a remake with the third story we never got. 

-Hopefully Skyward Sword HD will be a lot more fun. 

-Playing more as Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2. if Raiden wasn't 95% playable in his own game, we could've tolerated him more. 

-Final Fantasy VIII's characters being more likable, and the story being more cohesive. 

-The Final Fantasy XIII sequels being more bearable. 

-Final Fantasy XV actually gets a reasonable development, so it doesn't turn out how it did. 

-Sonic Adventure and its sequels get remakes which fix most of their problems. But we know that can't happen. 

-Dinosaur Planet exists, and Star Fox leaves it alone.  

-A NEW DUCKTALES GAME WITH THE NEW SERIES! 

Those are my random thoughts anyways.

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

@Kezay: Yes, it was you a few years back that suggested to get the Baten Katios games for dubious VO and wonderful music, which was the same composer of the Golden Sun games.

Speaking of Golden Sun...I believe you commented on my idea of Golden Sun remake, I forget what was the thread that brought it up but might as well bring up here again.

Yes, the first 2 GS games were supposed to be one game but Camelot couldn't fit story on one cart so they split them. Now where the remake would come in, not only will it make the games one but distinctly in the 2nd game you are supposedly playing part of the bad guys from the first game. Why not with the remake we take a chapter a approach were we jump from Isaac's group to Menardi and Saturos group. In the original 2nd game we find why those 2 bad guys were seemly trying to destroy the world, the game and the story were great in that game but wouldn't be nice to learn from their perspective in the first game how they came about saving their world the only way the bad guys thought from the first game in this remake?

This would approach would work for the 2nd half of the game as we don't play as Isaac and the crew 3/4 into the 2nd game originally. So when Menardi and Saturos fell at the Venus Lighthouse, the player have a choice to play as Isaac's group or Felix's group, still go thru chapters playing both till they get to the Jupiter Lighthouse where we play as both teams navigating the lighthouse till they become one.

I forgot what you comment on this Kezay but I think you just mention the effort to pull this off is cool but is monumental if it will be worth it as the GS series have fallen off since the 3rd game or even the 2nd game. I get that but would welcome a remake of the first 2 games as one with choice and different perspectives as protagonist and antagonist.

• Chrom featured this topic

No remaking either of the NES Zeldas with updated graphics and QoL improvements.

Not. Making. A. Pokemon. Snap. For. WiiU. - Would've LOVED for my TV to display my on-rails travel, as I use the GamePad to look around and snap photos.

No foreseeable way to play most of the touch-screen DS/3DS games going forward.

The direction the Mana series took after SD3. Would love online versions where you could play multiplayer and cast spells without pausing the game.

Ditching the Crystal Chronicles universe (would love an MMO where you pick a starting town and help others replenish Myrrh for it).

Virtual Boy games on the 3DS VC and/or remaking VB Wario Land for 3DS.

I have 3D screenshots of VB Wario Land, which I put on my 3DS (viewable in the 3DS camera app) back when it first launched. I just put these on there just to see what VB games would look like on the 3DS and to really test out the 3D feature, and the 3D effect is pretty great! Now looking back at these it just saddens me that Nintendo never put VB games on the 3DS VC. I just wanted to play VB Wario land, DAMN IT! kcry; I only ever played it once at a demo station back in the day and it was really fun. If they weren't going to put VB games on the 3DS VC, they should have at least remade VB Wario Land for 3DS.

I guess Nintendo really wants to forget the VB ever existed.

EDIT: Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks VB Wario Land should have been remade for 3DS. https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/364546-gonintendo-thought-nintendo-it-s-time-to-give-virtual-boy-wario

Edited by alienboyva
20 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

... Also, Mario Party: Top 100 actually being good and on a console. 

I concur with this as well.

Never played that game, I was almost tempted but never got it. There's always a weird compromise with MP titles, at least in the last 10 years or so. I don't remember if I didn't get because it had no online or the minigames that came back were just awful or they really altered the one I liked to be worse. So just never bother to get this title.

*Xenoblade Chronicles X: Despite so many interesting and well-developed alien races, the playable cast is almost all-human. We get to learn all sorts of cool things about how the Orphe reproduce or how the Prone celebrate funerals, but L, Celica, and Elma are the only members of their kind.

*Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore: The Switch remake has a bonus dungeon that doubles as a side-quest that gives some extra character development and songs for Tsubasa and Kiriya. However, none of the other party members are involved in that sidequest at all, nor do they get the added development or new songs.