Is your expectations of the Switch levelheaded?

Been a long time subscriber of this guy but as of late he doesn't make a lot vids or make ones where I have to share it, this happens to be one of them.

So basically what this 25 minute video is getting at is that ppl who are Debbie downers and extreme fanboys of Switch should alter their expectation according to what we know and what we don't about the system and not assume the worst or best scenario of the Switch.

For the 15 minutes he address Debbie downers on four points: Gimmicks, optional controllers, Nintendo's closet attempt of a standard console, and power. I guess you can lump the first 3 point as one aspects but he breaks it down well enough for it to be their own talking point especially the gimmick and standard console.

The last 10 minutes he address the other side with the fanboys blind devotion and case of amnesia from the Wii U thinking this will save Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox are now irrelevant. Pretty much saying that this may or may not be another Wii U again with 3rd party dropping out like the Wii U and that they should expect so much when so little is known about 3rd party involvement since they seem be rather coy on support right now.

So pretty much he saying for both sides to stop assuming and wait for Nintendo to share more news on the Switch on Jan 12th. It's okay be negative or be happy about the Switch but do it realistically. Until then maybe ppl can say what they are saying about the Switch now. Speculation is alright from either spectrum but when it boarders rationality, it is time to reel it back a few.

Oddly enough, this is coming from a former Nintendo fanboy but the Wii U showed him that he can't be blind to Nintendo anymore but at the same wish them all the success when its reasonable to. So that is why he can speak for both sides and knows what he's talking about.

Where do the rest of you fall with your expectations of the Switch currently?

Eh, probably not, if I were gonna be honest.  Honestly I probably became hyped after I saw my dad, who was never interested in the Wii U, being really enthusiastic about the Switch after seeing the trailer.  I guess I'm just really hoping it becomes a success because this might be Nintendo's last chance.

BTW, Emily Rodgers liked it too.  Oh, and she was right about what it was.

Edited by Yehu Bihdi

Me personally I'd say I'm levelheaded in the sense from Youngster Joey post and at Lance post, just in term of games, (3rd party) the games will justify the price. I can understand budgets and all but at the end of the day you buy a console for games and in the eventual long run that console won't be going down in price anytime soon. So everything could be perfect to you and the price is not then you'll be waiting awhile cause of that. That will be your only hold back, your impassable hurdle so to speak that you set for yourself not anyone else.

15 minutes ago, chickadee said:

yes but im pretty levelheaded about all consoles because im a reasonable person but also easy to please y;

i honestly don't care about making sure everyone else is levelheaded, it benefits me 0% to care so be hype or a downer all u want tbh

You make a valid point and a lot ppl say to me in life why worry over details you can control for others.  But I'm sorry if I see something that can be handled better than currently addressed, I'm gonna speak my mind on it and put it out there. And leave from there to some extent, if I happen to catch someone or few ppl alter their way of thinking for the better that's great. I'm not here to radically change your thinking just manage it better.

I'd say my expectations are pretty level headed. I would probably have fit into the "debbie downer" group when it came to the first announcement of the Wii U because I felt pretty damn certain it would be a commercial failure and that the gamepad would be a relatively huge investment that would yield little return for Nintendo, which pretty much came to pass. However, when it comes to the Switch, my biggest concern of the trailer and the new rumors following it is the potential very short battery life. I really hope that this isn't true or that if it is, then this will be something Nintendo seriously addresses between now and launch. Otherwise, I think it has the potential to sell a lot better than the Wii U and be an overall better system. But of course, that greatly depends on if Nintendo can deliver on both the promises of much more 3rd party support and delivering new and fresh iterations to their own IP's that were sorely missed on the Wii U. I feel pretty much the same about 3rd party support as I did when they first mentioned it for Wii U with what I said then, "I'll believe it when I see it." However, I do have an overall better feeling about the Switch based on Nintendo not going as much for the gimmick route with the Switch. Instead they are taking what has been an increasingly proven success in high end mobile gaming and making it convenient to also be used as a console that will hopefully also be capable of fairly high level graphics, at least enough to support current software engines, which was another major problem with the Wii U.

So all in all, I'm very hopeful about the Switch; but certainly not singing its praises or just taking Nintendo at their word that all the publishers and devs they've shown will be supporting the Switch will actually come through with quality and recurring game support. I really don't have a strong feeling either way as to how well it will succeed commercially or on delivering what most video game fans are hoping for, which actually has greatly increased my anticipation of the system's release.

Compare Black Ops Wii or Sonic Unleashed to the PS3 versions.  the differences are staggering I hope that's not the case with the Switch.  Basically what I'm saying is I hope it can play games like Project Sonic for PS4 with little to no differences besides being graphically scaled down (vs an entirely different inferior engine version) Is that an unrealistic expectation? 

8 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Compare Black Ops Wii or Sonic Unleashed to the PS3 versions.  the differences are staggering I hope that's not the case with the Switch.  Basically what I'm saying is I hope it can play games like Project Sonic for PS4 with little to no differences besides being graphically scaled down (vs an entirely different inferior engine version) Is that an unrealistic expectation? 

I think that's kind of a given it's going to be that way, unfortunately. I don't see how it's possible to be on a similar level to the current consoles with super-versions around the corner, and be a handheld, and have good battery life, and be cheap.

I'm not sure Nintendo can get away with it not being cheap, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, chickadee said:

yeah but like 

its video games

it just ain't that serious for me to bother trying to change their minds 

Hey, don't talk down my unhealthy obsession with video games >:(

Edited by Stopdoor

What an absurd question. You might as well ask someone if he thinks he's insane; of course everyone considers their own expectations to be level-headed.

Anyway I don't expect the Switch to shoot Nintendo back to the top of the video game echelon but if they make good games for it I'll be happy.

After the Wii U I've hit absolute rock bottom. I'd say I'm not at all level-headed- I'm extremely cynical. I fully expect another dust bin with a launch lineup of ports and unoriginals, a terribly high price tag, and sub-par operating ability among other things.

If I'm right I lose nothing. If I'm wrong I can only benefit.

@JanusDSI'm pretty much where you're at too. I want it so succeed but have some concerns besides the launch games so Jan 12th is gonna be pretty critical to me in terms having my concerns alleviated.

34 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

I think that's kind of a given it's going to be that way, unfortunately. I don't see how it's possible to be on a similar level to the current consoles with super-versions around the corner, and be a handheld, and have good battery life, and be cheap.

I'm not sure Nintendo can get away with it not being cheap, but we'll see.

Yes, that's more of a concern for the super version but just like playing Switch games on the go, those super versions are optional for developer to make and for consumers to buy shouldn't be factor in the sense Nintendo isn't competing against that and Nintendo doesn't compete with competition anyways.

Plus, not to sound too optimistic, the Switch won't be no slouch so those to game version comparisons may not be accurate. At most the Switch might be as powerful as Xbone at 80% of its output so it would be like this gen game for Xbone and PS4 to PC port of those games.

2 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

What an absurd question. You might as well ask someone if he thinks he's insane; of course everyone considers their own expectations to be level-headed.

Anyway I don't expect the Switch to shoot Nintendo back to the top of the video game echelon but if they make good games for it I'll be happy.

Is it really insane to think that one could look at their views of Switch and reevaluate their expectations. Of course everyone will think they are levelheaded but when you speculations have no foundation in some fact that is out there. I think maybe you could look at things a bit more objectively.

10 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

3 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Of course everyone will think they are levelheaded

4 minutes ago, Carl321 said:

I'd say I'm not at all level-headed

2648494.gif

Just now, Carl321 said:

2648494.gif

It's okay, Carl. You're the exception and I know all you said comes from a good place and why I never quoted you.

Your like if I was super cynical on the Switch expectations, I can relate to the let down of the Wii U but Switch seems to be in the right direction with it gimmick being not so in your face and really optional.