Game Builder Garage/June

This is pretty cool looking!  I wonder how much "game" you can create though.  Seeing examples of a SHMUP and a platformer is pretty encouraging.  I remember really enjoying how easy it was to make microgames with WarioWare DIY so I might be inclined to give this a shot if I have the time.

Pretty out of nowhere announcement though, I wonder what's the occasion?  Especially with no word of a Direct on the horizon as of yet.

This is really cool and I'm sure people are going to make some wild stuff with it. Though, I'm not sure if I'll get this, because WarioWare D.I.Y. made me realize that game design isn't really my thing. I had way more fun with the music creator in the game, since music in my thing (Percussionist "drummer"). :D 

Some music I made in WarioWare D.I.Y...

Spoiler

Edited by alienboyva
16 hours ago, Kezay said:

This is pretty cool looking!  I wonder how much "game" you can create though.  Seeing examples of a SHMUP and a platformer is pretty encouraging.  I remember really enjoying how easy it was to make microgames with WarioWare DIY so I might be inclined to give this a shot if I have the time.

Pretty out of nowhere announcement though, I wonder what's the occasion?  Especially with no word of a Direct on the horizon as of yet.

Why would there be a Direct on the horizon? E3 is only about a month away, right? I would suspect this is a Labo-like project that is being rolled out in a similar fashion, so them randomly announcing it isn’t that surprising I don’t think.

I am cautiously optimistic for this thing. I am suspicious that this is just a development tool dabbling kind of thing, so probably won’t do very much fancy stuff. But we will see.

41 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I just hope this doesn't lead to a Warcraft 3 Reforged situation where Nintendo tries to claim ownership of whatever games we make.

That’s a pretty standard practice, with intellectual property law, actually. I’m not saying it’s necessarily the best, but realistically speaking if they create all the assets and the tools, in many cases they can legally own the finished project.

I mean, I really don’t think tools like this (or others like RPG Maker) are meant to be seen as belonging to the player for the most part (outside things like story and scenario). The main appeal is helping would-be hobbyists and maybe future professionals break into the field.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, DranSeasona said:

Why would there be a Direct on the horizon? E3 is only about a month away, right? I would suspect this is a Labo-like project that is being rolled out in a similar fashion, so them randomly announcing it isn’t that surprising I don’t think.

I am cautiously optimistic for this thing. I am suspicious that this is just a development tool dabbling kind of thing, so probably won’t do very much fancy stuff. But we will see.

Just curious, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has done a direct a month prior to E3 as uncommon as it tends to be.  Even if it were a mini direct or something to that effect.

• 5 weeks later...

Nintendo has announced that a demo for the game is now available!...

I might check this out, but too bad it's only a "trial lesson" and doesn't also include a limited set of tools, so you can try making whatever you want. Like I said in my previous post, I'm not sure if I will get this, because with game-makers like Wario Ware, D.I.Y., it made realize that game design really isn't my thing and I had way more fun with the music creator in that game. IDK, this demo could entice me to get the full game.