Things to know before starting Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Chrom

I have played this game way too much (to completion) and I affirm that the advice given here has been great so far, but I'd like to add a few things:

1) If you like to get "best" results, look up EVERY choice online. Some of them cause permanent damage. None of them affect achievements, though.

2) If you press "X" in the Ground Gear menu, you can choose to change "Fashion Wear," which basically acts like an overall skin so your favorite armor combo doesn't make you look like a mismatched chimera of alien tech.

3) You are invulnerable while getting in or out of skells. If a big attack is coming or if you're waiting for your favorite art to recharge, just get in and out when attacks are about to hit to avoid all damage. This doesn't work for long-lasting attacks like dark beam and ether breaker (but you won't see that unless you fight Nemeses or high-level tyrants).

4) Hold down the R button and look at your options on the right side of the screen. Do the same with the L button. A lot of these control options are hidden and never mentioned.

5) You can get to surprisingly hard-to-reach places with well-timed jumps and clever maneuvering. I got to a few places I wasn't supposed to very early that way.

6) Make augments and use augments. Save your materials for max-level augments (XX). A skell without augments might deal 250,000 damage with post-game gear. With the proper augments that same skell can deal 9,999,999 damage to post-game tyrants.

7) Attribute resistances are almost more important than armor. If you have an attribute resistance at 100 or above, attacks of that attribute will deal only 1 damage, no matter who they came from. Some enemies use specific attributes almost exclusively, so plan ahead and prepare appropriately.

8) Reward tickets are invaluable, so get them whenever possible. Some items in the game (looking at you True armor set) require way too many rare materials (looking at you Noble Yggralith Scale) to get normally, so you almost have to use reward tickets. You can get them by completing squad tasks and missions. (Or you can break the appendages on a Nemesis and then quit the quest. Just go to "Global Nemesis Rewards" at the online console in the barracks after that and sell all the parts for tickets.)

9) Speaking of abandoning quests, if you are in a fight you can press start to bring up a set of commands for battle. Pressing "X" changes it to a list of items you can use in battle. Pressing "X" again changes it to the Abandon Mission/Emergency Escape option. These are your friend.

10) Try not to do online quests solo. Online quests give more rewards when more people join. Plus it can be really rude to others who wanted to do that specific quest. Also, when a quest says "A suspicious object..." it means you have to use field skills on that object to unlock an optional hidden mission. Similarly, "A suspicious foe..." means kill the enemy that is out of place and "Enemy detected with the required materials" means you should break appendages on the foe. Hidden missions usually give more/better rewards and lots of reward tickets.

11) BLADE medals are used to fight Global Nemeses. You can get them by leveling a BLADE scout three times and then releasing them, or sometimes randomly when performing BLADE tasks.

12) Having fun yet? If not, just do it. Don't let dying repeatedly turn you off to the game. There are enemies in this game that are meant to make you rage the first time around. Often there are ways around them you're just not seeing, or there are better ways to fight them. (See number 7 above.)

13) Potential is broken on ground gear when used correctly. It affects the strength of healing/buff moves, TP attacks, and the amount you are healed by soul voices. It appears to only affect soul voices in skells and is pretty useless there.

14) Most good gear comes from dropped treasures. There are a few sets in the Armory Console that are useful, but what you really want are those rare battle attributes on the weapons and armor that come from enemy drops.

15) You will eventually get the ability to add augment slots to equipment, so don't focus on those too much.

16) Treasure Detector is great for getting better weapons and armor, but holofigures (this game's version of trophies) only drop from the worst treasure drops with Tyrants. (If you want a holofigure, leave off the treasure detector.)

17) There's probably tons more and I could go on, but just play the game for yourself and have fun. I fumbled blindly through the game all the way through the last boss and had a blast. The post-game does require a little light reading and strategy, though.

If you like to complete games and are not afraid of spoilers, read the following once you get past chapter 8. What it spoils should be readily apparent at that point, anyway.

Spoiler

18) Max out a certain side character's arts, skills, and affinity BEFORE chapter 9. You'll probably be able to figure out which one ;)

Edited by Generalq
Added in an additional point with spoilers

^ Yeah that reminds me that they never actually tell you about squad missions.

Sometimes you'll see monsters with a weird symbol above their head (I forget which) and if you hold R (or is it RZ?) it'll bring up a list of monsters. Those are your squad mission. That's the total number for everyone on your squad. Every time one of those gets completed you'll get some exp and something else I also can't remember but is good for reward tickets.