765 Productions - N4A Chat Thread - May 2021

2 minutes ago, Chrom said:

For complex reasons, I deliberately had my calendar set one day forward and forgot to set it back. I really did think today was the 14th. hidingkong;

Well you had me fucked up for bit there

74bc949f1c2c6a3b7e612bb6a27194ae3b53b6be

>darker storyline that isn't just "collect badges; fight Elite Four"

>fully-developed region based on Arizona with it's own lore and landmarks

>memorable side-characters

>competent villains that consistently feel threatening instead of like a joke

>every fight is a double-battle, requiring more complex strategy and team-building

>amazing soundtrack

>exclusive moves for certain Pokemon that aren't otherwise available in the main series (Heal Bell Dragonite still catches people off-guard to this day)

So good that GameFreak got mad at Genius Sonority for making better Pokemon games than they could, and forced them to work on mediocre mobile spinoffs for the rest of eternity.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

74bc949f1c2c6a3b7e612bb6a27194ae3b53b6be

>darker storyline that isn't just "collect badges; fight Elite Four"

>fully-developed region based on Arizona with it's own lore and landmarks

>memorable side-characters

>competent villains that consistently feel threatening instead of like a joke

>every fight is a double-battle, requiring more complex strategy and team-building

>amazing soundtrack

>exclusive moves for certain Pokemon that aren't otherwise available in the main series (Heal Bell Dragonite still catches people off-guard to this day)

So good that GameFreak got mad at Genius Sonority for making better Pokemon games than they could, and forced them to work on mediocre mobile spinoffs for the rest of eternity.

Uh... *pushes XD away* That might have been in the same spin-off area, but that game is Colosseum Lite.

A lot of that seems baseless. TPC, not GameFreak, sets the agenda for Pokémon releases and TPC always wanted to chase mobile games over console releases because money. Also, Genius Sorority isn't "forced" to do anything; they can refuse a contract if they don't like it (they're a third party), but spinoff mobile Pokémon games are probably safe money for everyone involved.

Like, SwSh absolutely soured me on Pokémon (and no, it's not dexit), but I'm pretty sure the issue is no more complicated than the TPC didn't give GF enough time/resources to make SwSh anything more than a trite Pokémon adventure. Arceus at least is redressing resources, as development is being partially outsourced, and is a new direction for the series, so hopefully it's up from here.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

I just find the main games are getting stale.

Maybe, but I have a couple thoughts on that.

1) My son loved Pokémon Sword and Shield and really connected with the characters and even the story-lite to some degree. He gets easily bored by some things and does not like everything I play with him, so it’s really not just a matter of “kids’ll lap up anything”. I think that says something if it can actually bring in some interest for the next generation.

2) To be honest, I have replayed Sword and Shield a lot more than you would expect. And every time I replay it, I appreciate a lot of the choices they make a lot more than even I expected. I think the truth is that despite some flaws, it’s not a total disaster and is in fact quite solid in some ways. But many people get so caught up in the negativity that they refuse to see anything good in the games, and honestly I think that is a real shame. I mean, even the Colo games could be a real slog at times; they certainly were not perfect, either.

With all that said, I’m all for a new direction at least for some instalments. It seems at least from the initial look that the Arceus game might actually provide that, which is both surprising and potentially great news. So we will have to see on that front.

The worst main generation so far for me is the current Gen 8 games. If Gen IV remakes will have ALL the Poke'mon THIS time, what they done with the main games this time is NO excuse. Plus, New Poke'mon Snap made me confirmed of their laziness.  

I eventually warmed up to main Gen III because of the music, Steven, the lore, Emerald, some of the Poke'mon, some gym leaders and Elite 4, and other things. 

I eventually warmed up to main Gen IV because of Platinum, Cynthia, Cyrus, the lore, the music, some of the Poke'mon, some gym leaders and Elite 4, and other things.

I eventually warmed up to main Gen V because of N, the sequel games, Alder, the music, some of the Poke'mon, some gym leaders and Elite 4, and other things. 

I eventually warmed up to main Gen VI because of Fairy types, and some of the Poke'mon. Before VIII came along, I considered this the worst of the series.

I eventually warmed up to main Gen VII because of the change-up with the challenges, the lore, the League not being totally established in that series, the music, some of the Poke'mon and new forms, some of the leaders and whatever, and other things. 

Greatest strengths of Gen VIII include: the music, the lore, some of the Poke'mon and new forms, the Poke'mon being out and about, raids I guess, and some gym leaders, and the tournament thing at the end.

Still, the lore is perhaps the second weakest of the series, it has probably been the worst new batch of new and old Poke'mon (and I'm still part of Dexit, since what they did completely destroyed the premise of the series), and most of the gym leaders aren't too memorable.   

Grass guy is a farmer. Wow. We had Erika (a flower-arranger who only has women in her gym), Gardenia (a woman who hates ghosts and lives in a town near a forest that has a haunted mansion), Cilan (a cook and a triplet and was a companion to Ash), Ramos (an old gardener), and technically Mallow (a cook again, but has friends who also like cooking). He has nothing special to him, except maybe his interesting gym idea. But grass guy himself is forgettable.

Water girl is a model. Wow. We had Misty (a model herself and a staple of the anime), Wallace (a model), Juan (a model), Crasher Wake (a pro-wrestler), Cress (a cook and triplet, who also beat Ash in the anime), Marlon (a diver and fisher), and technically Lana (a fisher who also has friends). What makes her different?

Fire guy... what was his deal again? We had Blaine (a guy who likes quizzes), Flannery (a teenager who wants to impress her grandfather), Chili (a cook and triplet), and technically Kiawi (a dancer who likes to hang out with Mallow and Lana). No, seriously, what was Gen VIII's third gym leader deal again?

Ghost guy follows Morty (a guy who likes the study the Burned Tower's lore), Fantina (a model), and technically Acerola (a girl who likes to take people to a haunted attraction); and Bea follows Chuck, Brawly (a surfer), Maylene, Korrina (a roller-skater), and techinally Hala (Hau's grandpa). Ghost guy is a reverse-Acerola, and Bea's a discount Maylene.

Fairy woman is a quiz person. We had Valerie and technically Mina (a painter), both honestly forgettable. Okay, so she's unique as she wants to find a replacement and has a quiz show thing, but she obviously stole her idea from Blaine.   

Ice woman follows Pryce (a cold gym leader who resented battling for a long time), Candice (a woman who contradicts what an Ice-Gym leader would be), Brycen (a ninja), and Wulfric (a tough man who very rarely shows emotions or whatever); and rock guy follows Brock (a staple of the anime), Roxanne (a school-teacher), Roark (a miner and son to Byron), and Grant (a rock climber). Though, their mother-son dynamic is fun.  

Dragon guy follows Clair, Drayden, and Iris. Don't get me started on how he's the worst of the bunch. 

Piers is the only noticeable one because he's the leader of a pseudo-evil team, he's a singer, his battle theme rocks, he has a sister, and HE'S THE ONLY DARK-TYPE GYM LEADER OF THE SERIES SO FAR AND REFUSES TO USE THAT DYNAMAX POWER. And he's the only gym leader's name of the group I can remember by heart.  

Not sure if they are the most forgettable gym leaders, since that's up to debate against generation VI, but they are perhaps the first-second worst. Please prove me wrong. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
27 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

2) I think the truth is that despite some flaws, it’s not a total disaster and is in fact quite solid in some ways. But many people get so caught up in the negativity that they refuse to see anything good in the games, and honestly I think that is a real shame. I mean, even the Colo games could be a real slog at times; they certainly were not perfect, either.

It's not a total disaster; but it is a disappointment for me. I can acknowledge that this generation does have good things going for it, and some of the older games do have their flaws in some aspects. (As much as I move Gen II, it does have Whitney and Clair as some of the most insufferable losers ever, the nightmare that is Whitney's Miltank, Morty and his gym only use one ghost-evolution line, and some of the HMs were really bad; to name a few things I thought were horrible.) But, Gen VIII is my least favorite of the series. And that's saying something, when Gen VI took that title for some time. 

GenVIII had that banging Gym Leader music. Best song of the series.

I never replayed GenVIII and the DLC release was not even on my radar that I missed it, and then realized I didn't care that I missed it, and never bothered to get it.

We need non-linear. We need level scaling. We need Leaders and Rivals who CHALLENGE us. I want to have to step back and thinks "oh shit, I need either a better strategy or a few more levels to win this" - Right now I picked 3 or 4 Pokemon on my team for a decent typing spread and waltz through the game. We need legendaries with lore spread out throughout the story and not just a post-game afterthought of "hey go get em" - I want a Mewtwo-esque challenging cave with a Pokemon that only appears to the worthy. 

Tagging in a few edits:

-I'm not a Dexiter, I liked the games that gave us 0 old Pokemon until postgame. No crutches on the past.

-I could not be happier the games did away with HMs

Edited by EH_STEVE