Sony to shut down PSN store for PSP, PS3, and Vita *UPDATE: PSP Only

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-store-shut-down-ps3-vita-psp

PS3 and P to shutdown on July 2; Vita on August 27th.

If there are any PSP, 3, or Vita games or DLC that you haven't gotten yet, now would be a good time.

----

UPDATE:

The PS3 and Vita stores will remain open. It's currently unknown whether PSP games will still be available for download on the Vita, but I'd go for it anyway, just to be safe.

Edited by Tyranogre
2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Then you always have good old DRM to possibly contend with in the case of digital games post-store closure.

Holy shit, that is even worse. I have more than my share of digital games on my PS3 and would be beyond livid if I lost access to them, as they cost more than enough money to buy them. 

My Ps2s have that battery issue, but thank g_d it didn't have to rely on servers and is still usable. 

Edited by Doc Brown

I want to download the rest of the DLC for Dissidia Duodecim before it disappears forever, but my PSP's X button isn't working. I've noticed that the battery is swollen and might be pressing up against the sensors that power the face buttons, but I don't know if ordering a new battery will fix the issue, or if I'll have to get the system itself fixed.

Yeah, that is very shitty of Sony to not let developer who might be developing games for the Vita know...oh we shutting down the online stores...oops sorry. Like I get getting rid of something that no is not using all that much and is a waste of money and all but inform those who feel the Vita is of value to develop for first before making announcement like this.

I don't if the shutdown is a few months right now to a developer that makes all the difference in progress of a game development or completion, this just simply throws a unseen wrench into their development and will have to scrap it altogether most likely. Yes, like all video game companies, it's business first but come the fuck on about shafting the folks who help you make a profit, like WTF, man?!?

Sony isn't the only one with that internal clock battery issue, I believe other consoles have that same issue, tho. I think its been widely proven with Sony's PS4 ATM. That is shitty too but to me is not as bad as the legacy online stores shutting down so imo. A battery dying is an eventuality, I can accept that but this by-product defect of video games not working because of it is stupid and archaic probably. (I don't want to speak out of turn for some reason if there's a valid reason for this but at present I don't see a reason for this entanglement of no battery=game over)

That would be the battery that powers on the console itself, the battery in question is like the battery you would find in watches, you know those two nickels thick silver looking batteries. Those batteries like the ones in some computers motherboards, they store their own time but what I don't get get why this fault will make it so when that dies in a PS4 why would digital games and disc game not work? Why must the trophies be dependent on that internal battery?

Yeah, it is cheap and easy to replace the battery but this little inconvenient shouldn't be resolved like that, they should find another way so game don't just dies when that internal battery goes kaput!

I'm disappointed to see the store(s) shut down. I've been making a list of some either digital-exclusive or otherwise out of print games to purchase before it happens.

At least we can still download our purchases, at least for now. When that's taken away I'll have a pretty big issue with it.

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Given the outspoken views he's had on backwards compatibility for awhile, am not really surprised by this.

Edited by Ridley Prime
spacing
2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Given the outspoken views he's had on backwards compatibility for awhile, am not really surprised by this.

I'm not either. To be honest, it's an arrogant attitude of his. People don't always upgrade to the newest thing and may not be able to or maybe aren't interested in doing so.

I wonder how his views on the issue will pan out. 🤔

Was that quote from the in thread article or another one?

Edited by Doc Brown
1 hour ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

... Is... Is he serious? Many of us grew up on those “ancient” games. I grew up on the first generation.

Seems like it. Yea and it's a slap in the face to those who grew up on them and those who haven't played them yet.