Sony to shut down PSN store for PSP, PS3, and Vita *UPDATE: PSP Only

I believe it was his decision to to take down the movie rent/buy from the online store as well. They sort of have the same message like no one actually rents or buy movies on the store. With the emergence of so many streaming services as of late, it doesn't make sense to compete and wast money offering that option. That makes a little more sense taking away the legacy store and the titles but in the end it's a business. Though it seems like this putz of a guy (forget his name) seems to be more focus on making a profit before asking permission from anybody before taking action. He might make consumers not pleased with him if he continues to take without consideration of the few who should matter to his bottom dollar.

Exactly. He's just focused on future consoles and fancy graphics instead of respecting the games that came before and helped to pave the way.

One of my favorite games, Draken The Ancients Gates, still holds up pretty well, as an example of an older game.

Wish it had been remastered like Dark Cloud 1 and 2 were, and they're two other older games that have held up.

Edited by Doc Brown

So I been making lists of games I want to download but I also been looking up rarities, hidden gems, and basically anything that is worth a damn that most people would care about including myself.  I am going to be updating this list so y'all can like kind of look through and be like "oh yeah, I definitely need to get that before the shop closes down."  So hopefully this is helpful and I hit most of the games that are going to matter to most. Since I don't have a PS3, someone else will have to do that.  I am doing PS1, PSP, and PS Vita.  

PS1 Games:

Alundra

Arc the Lad

Arc the Lad II

Arc the Lad III

Arc Arena: Monster Tournament

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Bloody Roar 1 

Bloody Roar 2

Breath of Fire 3

Breath of Fire 4

Castlevania Chronicles

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Chrono Cross

Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors

Darkstalkers 3

Dino Crisis

Dino Crisis 2

Echo Night

Final Fantasy Origins

Final Fantasy Tactics

Front Mission 3

Grandia

Herc's Adventures

Hog's of War

Jet Moto

Jumping Flash!

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Legacy of Kain: Soulreaver 

Legend of Dragoon

Legend of Mana

Medal of Honor: Underground

Mega Man Legends 1

Mega Man Legends 2

Metal Gear Solid

Pandemonium!

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Persona 2: Eternal Judgement 

Pocket Fighter

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

Rayman

Resident Evil: Directors Cut 

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Saiyuki Journey West

Silent Hill

Shadow Tower

Suikoden 

Suikoden 2

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Threads of Fate

Tomba 

Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return

Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal 2

Um Jammer Lammy

Vagrant Story

Vanguard Bandits

Wild Arms

Wild Arms 2

Xenogears

PSP Games:

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Daxter

Disgaea 

Disgaea II

Disgaea Infinite

Dissidia 012 (Duodecim)

Dissidia 012 Prologus

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

God of War: Chains of Olympus

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Gran Turismo

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier

Jeanne d'Arc

Killzone Liberation

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X

Persona

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Persona 3 Portable

Power Stone Collection

Riviera: The Promised Land

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Wild Arms XF

Valkyria Chronicles II

PS Vita: 

Dragon's Crown

Grand Kingdom

Killzone Mercenary

La-Mulana EX

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Minecraft
Muramasa Complete Collection

Odin Sphere

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

Persona 4 Golden

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Spelunky

Tearaway

TxK

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Velocity 2X

5 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Dracula X Chronicles comes with a direct port of SotN whose only difference is replacing the campy voice acting.

Final Fantasy Origins

This is a compilation of Final Fantasy I and II with less content than their respective PSP remakes.

Final Fantasy Tactics

War of the Lions has more content.

Legend of Mana

Isn't that getting remade for the Switch, or am I thinking of something else?

Mega Man Legends 1

Can't remember whether this one is on the Wii U virtual console or not (as Mega Man 64).

Metal Gear Solid

Can't remember whether this one is included in the MGS HD collection available on the PS4, XBone, and Vita. There's also the Twin Snakes remake on the Gamecube.

Persona 2: Eternal Judgement 

PSP remakes have a vastly superior localization.

Disgaea 

Disgaea II

Don't know about II, but Disgaea I has a remake on the Switch.

Final Fantasy III

Technically also available on the DS, but the PSP version allows you to unlock all of the extras without the need for the now-defunct Nintendo WFC.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Also available on the DS.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Entire series is available on PC.

Also available on PS4 and XBone.

Minecraft

Also available on countless other devices.

Persona 4 Golden

Also available on PC.

Spelunky

----

Just going down your list to note which games will still be available on other consoles via ports and remakes.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Dracula X Chronicles comes with a direct port of SotN whose only difference is replacing the campy voice acting.

This is a compilation of Final Fantasy I and II with less content than their respective PSP remakes.

War of the Lions has more content.

Isn't that getting remade for the Switch, or am I thinking of something else?

Can't remember whether this one is on the Wii U virtual console or not (as Mega Man 64).

Can't remember whether this one is included in the MGS HD collection available on the PS4, XBone, and Vita. There's also the Twin Snakes remake on the Gamecube.

PSP remakes have a vastly superior localization.

Don't know about II, but Disgaea I has a remake on the Switch.

Technically also available on the DS, but the PSP version allows you to unlock all of the extras without the need for the now-defunct Nintendo WFC.

Also available on the DS.

Entire series is available on PC.

Also available on PS4 and XBone.

Also available on PC.

----

Just going down your list to note which games will still be available on other consoles via ports and remakes.

I should have clarified more on this, these are just games that are worth downloading. I know some of them have been rereleased in different forms or been ported, but these are all the “good games” that are currently on the shops.

10 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

My recommendations, even if I haven’t played some of these:

PS1 Games:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Mega Man Legends 1

Metal Gear Solid 

Rayman 

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Suikoden 2

Wild Arms

Castlevania: The Dracula X C...

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Power Stone C...

Persona 4 Golden

I have a PS3, and I’ll see what I can recommend.

Glad for PS3 owners now if they ever have to replace their internal (cmos) battery (which is cheap), and be able to connect back to the network afterward.

Still, this decision reversal’s but one win out of many L’s Sony has had for me as of late. Jim Ryan still sucks and the PS3/Vita wouldn’t of been in that dilemma in the first place if not for him.

24 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Glad for PS3 owners now if they ever have to replace their internal (cmos) battery (which is cheap), and be able to connect back to the network afterward.

Still, this decision reversal’s but one win out of many L’s Sony has had for me as of late. Jim Ryan still sucks and the PS3/Vita wouldn’t of been in that dilemma in the first place if not for him.

Yea it's great news. Betting the Cbomb news helped to put pressure on them, along with people saying that they'll never buy another Sony system again, and other kinds of pressure. 

Agreed. He's still a real piece of work. 

• Tyranogre changed the title to Sony to shut down PSN store for PSP, PS3, and Vita *UPDATE: PSP Only

I feel like Jim Ryan made this decision to really see if the consumers do buy older games to make takeback decision. Like what was the point to say we did this first out of financial numbers but realize...ah you guys like older games.....ah we sorry....pls buy our games?

Like fuck right off Sony, you will reap what you sow...soon enough. Like the only misstep Xbox had since the launch of the Series console is the 18hrs double in price rise for Xbox Live. At least they realized in less than 24rs, that is a mistake. Oh it only took like close to a month for Sony to realize that maybe we shouldn't close down legacy stores.

Edited by DLurkster

If they wanted take away legacy games, what makes anyone thinks they will somehow work on backwards compatibility?!? There may be hope for Playstation Now but it for sure does have lack of notice problem. If they somehow make the backward compatibility work on there sure but right now or the immediate future, I don't think so.

They have a lot of good faith they got to earn back before they attempt to appeal to consumers about legacy games.

Imagine if I made an announcement that I'm going to strangle a puppy.

Naturally, there'd be tons of backlash from people who love puppies, claiming that I shouldn't strangle them.

So then I change my mind and decide that I'm not going to strangle that puppy after all.

Do I deserve to be praised for how much I love puppies?

No.

While it's good that I changed my mind and decided not to strangle the puppy, I shouldn't have had to be convinced that strangling puppies was a bad idea. I should have already known that people love puppies, and that I shouldn't strangle them.

But that's exactly what Sony did. They made an announcement that they knew would provoke backlash from fans, only to reverse that decision, and now they expect to be praised for "caring about their fans".