The Photogenic Lental Region - N4A Chat Thread - April 2021

EH_STEVE

Got said sd card... and then found out that Samsung is stupid and won't let me move apps to the card, which is why I got the card in the first place. Next phone I get will be an LG one, as it let me move things to my sd card when I had to.

I got my answer. 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Other-Mobile-Devices/format-Sdcard-as-internal-storage-on-A01/m-p/1532180/highlight/true#M38291

Fuck Samsung. They made it so sd cards can't be used as internal storage. I'm never getting another phone by them. 

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/16812/is-there-a-way-to-change-my-internal-storage-to-my-micro-sd-card-on-my-lg-stylo-5

Well shit, looks like LG is pulling this crap too. Ugh. It was like this before, why go back to it? I'm figuring it's to try to drive people to the more expensive phones... but it's so much bs.

Edited by Doc Brown
11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Got said sd card... and then found out that Samsung is stupid and won't let me move apps to the card, which is why I got the card in the first place. Next phone I get will be an LG one, as it let me move things to my sd card when I had to.

I got my answer. 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Other-Mobile-Devices/format-Sdcard-as-internal-storage-on-A01/m-p/1532180/highlight/true#M38291

Fuck Samsung. They made it so sd cards can't be used as internal storage. I'm never getting another phone by them. 

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/16812/is-there-a-way-to-change-my-internal-storage-to-my-micro-sd-card-on-my-lg-stylo-5

Well shit, looks like LG is pulling this crap too. Ugh. It was like this before, why go back to it? I'm figuring it's to try to drive people to the more expensive phones... but it's so much bs.

Most phones are shitty. They want you to buy their higher capacity versions at unnecessary markups

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Most phones are shitty. They want you to buy their higher capacity versions at unnecessary markups

Yep and it's bs. Only people that can afford them are the wealthy (for the most part). Lowest price I've seen for a higher capacity one is $199. And I was like, are you fucking kidding me? Basically they figure anyone who can't get a higher capacity phone doesn't need anything on their phone.

Found out that Google is to blame for the no transferring... they did it before and are back at it. Ugh.

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/16802/premier-pro-plus-wont-move-apps-to-micro-sd

Edited by Doc Brown
36 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

FOURTEEN NEW MODELS IN SIX YEARS?! JESUS CHRIST!

Samsung released 5 main models since the Galaxy S7 (not including all the different versions of each Galaxy S# series). After they got to the Galaxy S10 they skipped straight to the Galaxy S20 for their next model. y;

🔗https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_series

Edited by alienboyva

It it's about Phoenix Wright's ancestor and it has the greatest detective in all of literary history: SHERLOCK HOLMES. 

... Even if they had to change the name of that guy to probably avoid copyright laws. 

It also has 3D investigation, a jury system thing that actually is implemented into the gameplay, brand new characters, a reaction thing that was from the Layton x Ace Attorney crossover. It also has really amazing sprite-work and music.  

But more than that, it's also a little bit about the Westernization of Japan and the working relationship of Japan and the British Empire, even if that's a little bit of the background.  

The names of the chapters also takes some cues from Doyle's famous works as references, although I think the Japanese version can get away with that because of laws.   

Something about the Doyle estate made these games impossible to reach international shores for some time. 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep and it's bs. Only people that can afford them are the wealthy (for the most part). Lowest price I've seen for a higher capacity one is $199. And I was like, are you fucking kidding me? Basically they figure anyone who can't get a higher capacity phone doesn't need anything on their phone.

Found out that Google is to blame for the no transferring... they did it before and are back at it. Ugh.

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/16802/premier-pro-plus-wont-move-apps-to-micro-sd

They're most likely doing this because Apple has always done it, even since the iPod days. I really wish phone manufactures would stop following what Apple does, because everything they do isn't always "right" or consumer friendly (Ex: Not including a charger with the iPhone 12, while also changing the cable that comes with it from USB-A to lighting to USB-C to lighting Thus, making all your old chargers useless, unless already have USB-A to lighting cable or buy one separately).

I saw yesterday that Apple announced a subscription service for their Podcasts app. I was like " WTF! Podcasts are supposed to be FREE!!!" If this becomes a thing, I really hope other apps the offer podcasts don't follow suit. I know we wouldn't even have podcasts if it weren't for Apple and the iPod, but still! I currently have an iPhone 8, which I really like, but I hate what Apple has become since they've become a massively trendy brand. I fee like Apple wouldn't be like this nowadays if Steve Jobs was still alive. When he showed off the first iPhone on stage it had a plastic screen on it. He went to his team and said put a glass screen on it and they said they weren't sure if it could be done. Jobs then responded "Find away or were aren't relapsing the iPhone!" As you know they found a way. 

I miss the old Apple. :( 

69bPvE1.png

Apple/Mac computers where the first computers I ever used and owned as a kid. I loved Apple back in the 90's and early 200's

Edited by alienboyva
3 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I thought Sherlock Holmes was public domain?

Well, this game uses other characters from his works too that aren't, even if they aren't totally the same... so... 

Like I said, this game borrows some stuff and characters from Doyle's work. That's kind of the problem.

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
13 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait.... What?! 

Will the app itself charge the subscription, or is the subscription based on the podcast? 

The app itself will charge the subscription. With iOS 14.5 the Podcasts app is getting a complete redesign. While most podcasts should still be free, some are going to be behind a subscription now (most likely Apple exclusive podcasts). :( 

Edited by alienboyva
21 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I thought Sherlock Holmes was public domain?

Oddly enough, the later Sherlock Holmes stories that depict Holmes as being softer and a bit more caring rather than purely cold and calculating are not in the public domain, so the Doyle estate contests any depictions of Holmes that show him as being kind or considerate. The estate filed a copyright claim against that Enola Holmes movie that came out last year, for example (seems like that claim was dropped/settled out of court though). So basically Sherlock Holmes is only public domain if he's shown as being a bit of a dick. The last few Sherlock Holmes stories should be entering public domain in a couple of years though, barring any further copyright extension chicanery.

34 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

They're most likely doing this because Apple has always done it, even since the iPod days. I really wish phone manufactures would stop following what Apple does, because everything they do isn't always "right" or consumer friendly (Ex: Not including a charger with the iPhone 12, while also changing the cable that comes with it from USB-A to lighting to USB-C to lighting Thus, making all your old chargers useless, unless already have USB-A to lighting cable or buy one separately).

I saw yesterday that Apple announced a subscription service for their Podcasts app. I was like " WTF! Podcasts are supposed to be FREE!!!" If this becomes a thing, I really hope other apps the offer podcasts don't follow suit. I know we wouldn't even have podcasts if it weren't for Apple and the iPod, but still! I currently have an iPhone 8, which I really like, but I hate what Apple has become since they've become a massively trendy brand. I fee like Apple wouldn't be like this nowadays if Steve Jobs was still alive. When he showed off the first iPhone on stage it had a plastic screen on it. He went to his team and said put a glass screen on it and they said they weren't sure if it could be done. Jobs then responded "Find away or were aren't relapsing the iPhone!" As you know they found a way. 

I miss the old Apple. :( 

69bPvE1.png

Apple/Mac computers where the first computers I ever used and owned as a kid. I loved Apple back in the 90's and early 200's

Yea probably. Honestly it's wearing. They even have plans for people who only want the bare minimum and sure they exist,  but it's come to... here you can have a phone, but how dare you do anything else but talk and text on it.

I do too. :( 

Edited by Doc Brown

I have the S20 "Fan Edition" that, despite it's name, has no 3.5mm jack. y; The other week I encountered an issue where I couldn't watch YouTube videos in private at home because my kindle battery needed to be charged, and I left my USB-C to 3.5mm adapter at work.

I think I'm realizing I'm an old man in the new digital world. I bought a Security+ book that previous editions would include a CD with the book on pdf. But this new book no longer offers this. I returned the book and instead got the ebook version after seeing a guide on how to convert kindle books to pdf. But despite my best efforts, drm got in the way.

I guess ownership is a thing of the past. I'm just an old man now who likes to reminisce about the days when you could have MP3s for the music you bought, PDFs for your books, and we didn't have pay to avoid ads.