Jump to content

SwitchPro...seeming more imminent?


Recommended Posts

Yes, motion controls was an innovation which the Wii sold on... A Switch that strips away the portability would not be innovative. Don't know how many more ways that can be made clear.

 

Thing is, Wii was severely, severely out-powered by the HD depths of the PS3 and 360. Switch is underpowered compared to the two's successors, but the gap is less than that of what the Wii and its rivals were. Would a 4K Switch of some kind be a nice touch? Sure, but it's not a necessity like the Wii's more noticeably outdated hardware features were, imo. The Wii still persevered though despite how underpowered it was as everyone boasts, so I don't see why some act like Nintendo's gonna get left behind by everyone if they don't jump to 4K here and now. Switch is still doing fine as is regardless of the XBSX and PS5; completely unlike the Wii U situation where the U just plummeted the moment XBO/PS4 came out because it was a failed system to begin with.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yes, motion controls was an innovation which the Wii sold on... A Switch that strips away the portability would not be innovative. Don't know how many more ways that can be made clear.

 

Thing is, Wii was severely, severely out-powered by the HD depths of the PS3 and 360. Switch is underpowered compared to the two's successors, but the gap is less than that of what the Wii and its rivals were. Would a 4K Switch of some kind be a nice touch? Sure, but it's not a necessity like the Wii's more noticeably outdated hardware features were, imo. The Wii still persevered though despite how underpowered it was as everyone boasts, so I don't see why some act like Nintendo's gonna get left behind by everyone if they don't jump to 4K here and now. Switch is still doing fine as is regardless of the XBSX and PS5; completely unlike the Wii U situation where the U just plummeted the moment XBO/PS4 came out because it was a failed system to begin with.

 

@ Wiii ...  IMO, there is no way that machine should have been less than 720p period.... especially if the GC could do 480p....  that made NO sense.  Also, their asinine storage solutions both internal and via SD card were very backwards considering the WiiWare and WiiVC services were good selling points.

 

While I agree with a non-portable switch not being "innovative" with their cloud saves in some ways it could go XCloud route where you can boot save files for games regardless of playing device.  Not sure what Sony has going with PS5 and Vita...or rumored re-entry into handhelds....

Link to post
2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

 

Wii offered the new motion control option though...

 

Based on power supplies and cooling methods in the XBXSX and PS5 it would be tough to get that kind of power in a tablet to run efficiently,,, watching 4K movies ain't processing 4k games.

....Okay.... The Switch can do that and in some cases better. What are you getting at in bringing up the Wii and the fact is outside of the innovation at the time of motion control, it was essential GC with just motion controls, with games that few ppl wanted/like with a gimmick the ppl latched with and again predated smartphones. It was easier to pull that kind of stuff then, can't pull that off maybe currently in the now of whatever 4K gaming. Don't know where the 4K movies has anything to do with 4K gaming tho.

 

I am not against that this isn't happening at all, I am not for this Switch Pro this year. It will come when Nintendo thinks its time, whether that be telegraphed by some game release like now or sales of the Switch start to slow down. I would say the latter is more likely then the former. So that is why I keep saying it will be a while till this Switch Pro.

Edited by DLurkster
Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is SO pathetic. Analysts are literally obsessing over this. I appreciate Nintendo Life calling it a rumor, as that's all it is at this point. Bloomberg reported on this too and to be honest, it's gotten to be that much more annoying. 

 

 

@ $350 I'm good with rumor mill possibilities as is...

 

@ $400...I gotta have something super significant that is above what is currently speculated.

Link to post
39 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

 

@ $350 I'm good with rumor mill possibilities as is...

 

@ $400...I gotta have something super significant that is above what is currently speculated.

 

I'm good with neither as I have stuff to get way before any other game system. 

 

As in new computer and such.

 

That said, I can see how $350 would be a bit better. 

 

As for $400, nothing would be good enough for me to remotely consider a system at that price. 

Edited by Doc Brown
Link to post
3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

 

I'm good with neither as I have stuff to get way before any other game system. 

 

As in new computer and such.

 

That said, I can see how $350 would be a bit better. 

 

As for $400, nothing would be good enough for me to remotely consider a system at that price. 

 

 

$400 price point for the Switch successor system maybe but not Switch 1.5.

 

That said, I am in the market so to speak if something juicy pops up...  hairline cracks in plastic in some spots, a splitting of plastic panel to top on back side--right at the seam,  ...like if everything lines up I can see this falling the way me transitioning from 3DS to N3DSXL happened.... not broke enough to dump but enough issues to be interested in a upgrade if the price/performance hits the right sweet spot.

Link to post
4 hours ago, purple_beard said:

 

 

$400 price point for the Switch successor system maybe but not Switch 1.5.

 

That said, I am in the market so to speak if something juicy pops up...  hairline cracks in plastic in some spots, a splitting of plastic panel to top on back side--right at the seam,  ...like if everything lines up I can see this falling the way me transitioning from 3DS to N3DSXL happened.... not broke enough to dump but enough issues to be interested in a upgrade if the price/performance hits the right sweet spot.

 

Ah. I'd still find $400 to be too much, for any system for what it's worth. 

 

Ah. Can see what you mean there. I don't have any cracks in the shell on my end, but the system does seem to use lower quality plastic and that top vent does seem to be another issue. The plastic bars over it seem too skinny.

 

Just wondering, did you ever use the Switch docked?

 

I haven't, since I heard of some warping issues.

Link to post
7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

 

Ah. I'd still find $400 to be too much, for any system for what it's worth. 

 

Ah. Can see what you mean there. I don't have any cracks in the shell on my end, but the system does seem to use lower quality plastic and that top vent does seem to be another issue. The plastic bars over it seem too skinny.

 

Just wondering, did you ever use the Switch docked?

 

I haven't, since I heard of some warping issues.

I'm docked 90% of the time I play.

 

I'm usually the driver.. 

Don't travel to hotel it much. . 

I do some portable around the house if I am watching something on tv too ..

Link to post
7 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I'm docked 90% of the time I play.

 

I'm usually the driver.. 

Don't travel to hotel it much. . 

I do some portable around the house if I am watching something on tv too ..

 

Ah. That might explain the cracks. Could be heating up more.

 

Just refound an article dealing with similar issues to yours.

 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/poll_is_your_nintendo_switch_cracking_under_the_pressure

 

It still gets warm in portable mode though.

Edited by Doc Brown
Link to post

I feel like we go through this rumor every month and wishful thinking gets people to read too much into things. Lack of gaming news? Probably just COVID disrupting Nintendo. New Pokemon game actually looks good? That's GF outsourcing development; at the very least, there's no way Pokemon Arceus is Switch Pro-exclusive--TPC prefers money to graphical fidelity. Nintendo apparently makes DLSS contract with Nvidia per Bloomberg? Okay, maybe there's something to that, but I feel like we've had this song and dance before.

 

Even if there is a Switch Pro, it'll probably be about as exciting as a 3DS-->N3DS upgrade. Games will have higher resolution and may perform better, but it'll still be a Switch and you still buy games for it when you care about portability over fidelity (or just want a Nintendo game). Idk, people talk about Switch Pro as if it'll be basically be a PS5/current year Xbox that let's Nintendo "catch up" when it's just a device that makes Smash look prettier. 

Link to post

Exactly. 

 

Only issue I'd have would be if it had an exclusive games, like the N3ds did. It was ok there, since the price was ok, but with a console, no. Far more people would be left behind due to cost. 

 

Link to post

Pretty much Steve and Stephen are saying about DLSS or power on par with Xbox One s OR PS4 Pro. Nintendo will not do another N3DS were some titles will benefit the new system.

 

I said above new Switch will be that in this thread:

Quote

Also, when this New Switch comes, Nintendo is not gonna do what they sort of did with the N3DS and make like 3 games that can only run on it, they are gonna the PS4 Pro route and just boost the visual fidelity and FPS of Nintendo Switch games on the pro and that is it. Simple.

As for every little detail we can keep hearing everyone is welcome to take the information anyway they want, just don't expect it to be something beyond expectations so far.

 

Just saying to keep the expectation realistic when it comes to small form factors and how the battery life is. The technology is there to have the power of PS4 in hour hands currently, that is why the Switch V2 and Switch Lite have a slightly better battery life. Follow that logic with power output and you have you realistic view of this supposed new Switch. Until then we have to hear from Nintendo to know if there's a hint. They are not fully denying a new model but they don't want disrupt the flow money that is coming from the current switch either.

 

 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

Lots of articles and videos popping up about Switch Pro again, this time from some Nikkei article....

 

I thought Spawnwave had an interesting idea about something coming out at the end of the week when Nintendo releases its fiscal report from this past year and projections for the next/current(March-March) fiscal year.

 

I'd really like to know if it will be a thing, because I could consider myself in the market depending price and specs....  I don't think I'd make a move for the current upgraded model because its just on battery life.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Lots of articles and videos popping up about Switch Pro again, this time from some Nikkei article....

 

I thought Spawnwave had an interesting idea about something coming out at the end of the week when Nintendo releases its fiscal report from this past year and projections for the next/current(March-March) fiscal year.

 

I'd really like to know if it will be a thing, because I could consider myself in the market depending price and specs....  I don't think I'd make a move for the current upgraded model because its just on battery life.

 

Those pesky stock holders? are really obsessed with this, aren't they?

 

I don't give a damn about it, as it's something that I won't be getting (sorry for the strong reaction, I'm just sick of this annoying obsession by stock holders). Even if I had the money, it would have to be a significant upgrade. But at over $300, it won't ever happen. 

Edited by Doc Brown
Link to post
1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

 

Those pesky stock holders? are really obsessed with this, aren't they?

 

I don't give a damn about it, as it's something that I won't be getting (sorry for the strong reaction, I'm just sick of this annoying obsession by stock holders). Even if I had the money, it would have to be a significant upgrade. But at over $300, it won't ever happen. 

 

DB, I wouldn't read into this that the stockholders are forcing Nintendo to release a Pro--its more of a time to announce it might be good thought.

 

But, in terms of the system landscape, an upgrade could be needed soon to keep up the 3rd party support with the Switch modified games....at some point the gap will be too wide for some ports to happen....  Then there is that whole Joycon thing....but I think that whatever it is won't see a remodeled JC..... that won't be till Switch 2.

Link to post

I think these stockholders are just as stupid as some gamers who think the next Switch is gonna be announced soon or at the financial briefing this Thursday. Nintendo in all their history of briefings never announced their next system there. They may have in passing hinted but never outright say a new system this July! We been over this and the stockholder should know this, announcing a new Switch will interfere with current Switch momentum of sales. (That is how the PS4 and Xbone lost steam a year before PS5 and X Seires came out, there's your proof of that) It's shouldn't really matter with the current install base but let's say Nintendo announces a new Switch, this will halt current Switch sales till a new consumer will wait for this new Switch to purchase. They have to time this right, that is why all the time they cannot confirm or deny a new Switch is coming. Of course there is but they are not gonna tell anybody that includes stupid stockholders and their dumb questions. Nintendo will respond like usual and say they have a nothing to announce as of now.

 

So I would like to think I know better then to hope we hear news of new Switch, no matter how much it will cost. Just managing my expectations when we eventually get this new Switch. It will be when we least expect it. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...