SwitchPro...seem more imminent? / SWOLED / new hardware

3 hours ago, Kezay said:

I feel like you're being a bit too diplomatic with the response on this one.  The reason why the comic is spot on is because it does a great job highlighting how much of the critical response around the OLED model is driven by expectations heightened by insider rumors only to be "dashed" because Nintendo revealed a product that did not match those rumors.  On its own merits the new model would have its criticisms without the aforementioned rumors ever being a thing (for instance, I agree that it's pricey) but the response likely would not have been nearly as divisive as it is now having been seasoned by "insider spice".

Fair point.  Just wanted to share my view on the last comment, I did say everything else leading to that last comment is spot on.

Once, I get an idea no matter how unpopular and my penchant to probe everything I witness...I do my best to present why I see it that way.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/talking_point_should_we_be_worried_about_screen_burn-in_with_switch_oled

Interesting article and I never experienced burn in issues on my current switch screen and very rarely on my tv due to auto dimming and power off.

Yes, this is a rare occurrence with OLED compared to LCD. As the latter makes the light crystals lit up with backlight, the former doesn't with electroluminescent. (fancy way of saying electric current) It is not fully determined because of that or any other factor causes burn-in but what is fact is just devices being left on for hours on end with the same image.

Like the article mentions OLED technologies of come a long way and now most devices have a d dim mod or in the case with Nintendo Systems since the Wii Screen Burn-In Reduction. Of course this will only work with your TV set, can't say how much dividends to OLED screen of this new model Switch. Auto-brightness will help but at least to me in bright places is annoying so your enjoyment/prevention depends on the person.

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/nintendo_wont_say_whether_switch_oled_joy-con_fixes_drift_so_dont_count_on_it

Does this mean even new controllers are still drifting? I thought only old models got it, and mine didn't start acting up until over two years. With the Skyward Sword controllers releasing soon...

Same design, if they admit a change they could lose their lawsuits.  They won't do a redesign till Switch 2.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Same design, if they admit a change they could lose their lawsuits.  They won't do a redesign till Switch 2.

I mean not Switch OLED controllers, but old controllers in general. I thought the drifting oversight would've been fixed a while back.

I don't get these lawsuits over drifting either. There's no law requiring tech companies to make their products operate at some level of quality for some period of time.

24 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I mean not Switch OLED controllers, but old controllers in general. I thought the drifting oversight would've been fixed a while back.

I don't get these lawsuits over drifting either. There's no law requiring tech companies to make their products operate at some level of quality for some period of time.

I wasn't expecting a fix or upgrade to the Joy-Con Drift, even with class-action lawsuit of each party cannot discuss ongoing affair of the case till it closes.

Also, it may be true these lawsuit doesn't demand the right of tech companies to do right to the consumer for however but has that stopped anyone before in similar situations, whether anyone has the right to to demand a remedy?

Whatever the outcome it will be years till we hear the verdict, for example there was a class-action lawsuit of Sony removing Linux OS from PS3 for breach of privacy or something. It was filed back in 2010 and the verdict was that Sony pay the folks in the class-action lawsuit $68 8 years later. So it's nice to get your point across but these things take time and you might not get the results one may be looking when entering a class-action lawsuit.

3 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Well, there are safety recalls all the time for cars and other various goods.  And you can be taken to court for selling lemon products.  The manufacturer's warranty covers some liability by the manufacturer but there is a difference from being worn out and being defective to begin with.... it will be interesting to see how the courts settle it out.

Hmm, recurring huh?

Well the whole first Mario Party game bloody joystick minigames, provoked Nintendo gloves who have suffered. Weird thing to bring up and sort of different time and Nintendo but what I am getting at, what is considered an issue to remedy to Nintendo at all?

That whole MP fiasco was 6-10 year before wiimotes in TV. Nintendo has been thru it all and lawyer up if things look to hot to just throw some water on it.

Time will tell with or without the class-action lawsuit what will become of the Joy-Con Drift.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:26 PM, purple_beard said:

Well, there are safety recalls all the time for cars and other various goods.  And you can be taken to court for selling lemon products.  The manufacturer's warranty covers some liability by the manufacturer but there is a difference from being worn out and being defective to begin with.... it will be interesting to see how the courts settle it out.

Safety laws don't apply to drifting, though. There also isn't an objective way to describe what an acceptably "functional" product is--like for an input device, how much precision is required and how do you calculate it? And the accuracy to which the device "should" function after any certain amount of time--that will largely come down to a matter of opinion. Even something as intentionally malicious as Apple's forced obsolescence can be defended as something consumers should know they're getting into, like that's simply the way phones work. Here is not much of a court case to be made.

(Also, are there reports of joy-cons drifting out of the box!? And recent joy-cons? Again, mine had no problems for almost three years.)

On 7/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, Tyranogre said:

Remember when they put out the Wiimote condoms because people kept accidentally breaking their TVs?

There just needs to be some similar type of recurring accident related to the Joy-Cons.

I did some research: Nintendo was hit with a few lawsuits over the original wrist strap design, but they won. The ensuing condoms and new wrist straps helped stave off lawsuits, but Nintendo probably still would've won those hypothetical future lawsuits anyway. So rather than being a way to comply with the law, they were more to decrease legal costs and improve PR.

Fixing joy-con drift is definitely not a legal issue (this one suit is already ongoing, and I doubt there would be more if it fails), but it's definitely a PR one.

... Kind of realizing how fun I've become now that I prattle on about legal technicalities and public relations.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:15 AM, DLurkster said:

Hmm, recurring huh?

Well the whole first Mario Party game bloody joystick minigames, provoked Nintendo gloves who have suffered. Weird thing to bring up and sort of different time and Nintendo but what I am getting at, what is considered an issue to remedy to Nintendo at all?

That whole MP fiasco was 6-10 year before wiimotes in TV. Nintendo has been thru it all and lawyer up if things look to hot to just throw some water on it.

Time will tell with or without the class-action lawsuit what will become of the Joy-Con Drift.

I still remember getting a blood blister near the middle of my palm because of those joystick rotation minigames XD

7 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I still remember getting a blood blister near the middle of my palm because of those joystick rotation minigames XD

Tho, I didn't hear about this till years later like Joy-Con drift, (I have not experienced) I have not gotten a bloody palm playing those minigames.

I don't think I was lucky no kid is lucky cause most kids don't know what they are doing half the time, the above is no exception in the moment. Yes, we know that we are gonna engage in activity but the length and tensity no. I have and still have soft baby hands, that is very fleshy and I know I was going ham on those minigames. Ppl comment nowadays how I never done any physical labour with my hands as an adult and I still resent that till this very day.

FWIW, if anyone is interested, GS IN STORE is taking POs on both versions of SWO.  My location nearest me had quite a few PO slots open.  I grabbed a White for the $50 deposit.  Currently they don't have any special trade in offers for OLD Switches but right now its $175... he said day the release they could have some specials to boost that.

Considering some of the wear on my OG switch... I decided to go ahead after getting nothing via BBY.