SwitchPro...seem more imminent? / SWOLED / new hardware

30 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

It’s an annoying endless sense of entitlement, but yeah. I think those that aren’t following leakers/investors have stopped humoring the notion after the OLED reveal though, with Nintendo being Nintendo. 

But it is those leakers fault that all who developed entitlement and hope still thinks there will be Switch Pro.

Nintendo enthusiasts comes in all kinds, those who know Nintendo DNA and those who think they know better than Nintendo and should just release Switch Pro already.

2 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

But it is those leakers fault that all who developed entitlement and hope still thinks there will be Switch Pro.

Nintendo enthusiasts comes in all kinds, those who know Nintendo DNA and those who think they know better than Nintendo and should just release Switch Pro already.

Yeah. It just comes down to leakers not wanting to be wrong even when the writing's seemingly on the wall, and people having the power to decide whether or not to keep giving them attention and take their word as the gospel, which many often do. For me it's just popcorn seeing all the shit leakers have gotten now after the OLED reveal and them receiving their hype backlash. For months you got to see influencers talk about all the "sure thing" features they heard about from totally reliable sources and then the OLED thing comes out after years of "it's coming soon I swear!" and it's nothing like what they said.

I'm part of the former kind of course, but it's a division created that didn't need to exist. The latter is self entitlement though. Nintendo's successful and doesn't owe you/us anymore than what they already give. Their controller quality/durability could be better of course, but still.

In no way saying a raw power upgrade in a Switch revision isn't on the horizon but they are having issues running some of their own first party games optimally and some of their 3rd party ports are struggling with low frame rates and lots of compression and resolution drops to even get the games running on the hardware.  

I mean the Switch is going to need something soon to be able to handle its own games....

But I also think that a lot of their R&D is going into the Switch's successor at the moment and how they can best do what they think they will do with 4K gaming options.  But, per DF, the chips and ram on the current switch can actually do 4k via the up conversion tech out there now so....

Pretty sure most who own a Switch, regardless if anyone played a title on there 1st party or 3rd party have experience performance issues on Switch. That is part is obvious, the other part where consumers (I mention with Nintendo enthusiasts earlier) either don't choose to accept or make Nintendo care that they are side-stepping enhanced performance side of Switch.

At the end of the day Nintendo doesn't and never cared about the power output of their systems. By the time we get it, it's when we least expect it or too late in some eyes. What is a first is that yes, it clearer than ever before that some 3rd party games and a few 1st party games have some technical hiccups. So with these glaring facts, the need for a better performing Switch with the rumors and still persistent is making the outcry for a Switch Pro more prominent to the leakers when sharing and those who resonate with it believe what is or should come to past.

All that hope (and yes hope can blind you sometimes) blinds them from what they know or should expect from Nintendo when it comes to system revision history. That is why knowing this is what made me sick of hearing these grandeur tales of Switch Pro.

Like any business they are about making profits and if the can do less with more but sell it as a set many times over, (Switch family with modest improvements) they will do that.

Haven't really seen any 1st party game issues. Long as the games can run, Nintendo's likely satisfied enough to sell them... just as the are with selling faulty hardware in their joycons. 3rd party wise though, yeah. Actually having 3rd party support again has been a breath of fresh air though still, even though the Switch can’t have everything. Can't expect all 3rd parties to run good on it when they weren't made with the Switch in mind. Still, people do play plenty non-Nintendo games on their platform even with the 1st parties being the main focus. Nintendo 1st party purists take it for granted, but 3rd parties is one of the important things for a system’s success imo.

And yeah, the ideal Switch kind of hybrid system that's 4K and all that I can see being the true successor rather than a powered up mid gen refresh, with what they got going. Until then, I'll just keep enjoying what I have to live and play with in the now, which is plenty, especially with Metroid Dread upcoming.

Davy and I actually calculated how much of our switch library is third party, and even counting compilations like Digimon Story and Ace Attorney Trilogy as a single game and treating fringe cases like FE Warriors as first party, roughly 2/3rds of our library is third party. I don't think that's ever happened for a Nintendo system.

But the thing is? If I wanted to play these games in 4k, I could just get them on a 4K system *because* they're third party. I just can't personally imagine a situation where I'd value 4k on titles like Atelier Sophie, Yu-Gi-Oh Card Simulator 2017, or Ni no Kuni over being able to unplug the console and play it in the PS4 room with Davy (who's currently stuck in Yakuza hell and always there) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like, there reaches a point where if you value 4k+60fps that much, just invest in another ecosystem. The Switch will sell just fine being, as described earlier, a handheld with an HDMI output.

Edited by Stephen 776

Fact......

And

is this fiction or not?

As Spawnwave mentions what is fact in tandem with ReviewTechUSA.

As I somewhat guessed, hope twisted the prospect of what we thought this Switch revision will be. But it could just be merely that the OLED screens and the firmware update of Aula just got mixed up in all the commotion. Maybe it isn't leakers fault per se, the fact checking must of gotten skewed over time resembling what we think is truth or is coming.

Either way as I said, it was and is ridiculous that that this hype was tantamount to disappointment for some. 

EDIT: You can read the entirety of the Eurogamer article here that was mentioned in SpawnWave video:   https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-spec-analysis-switch-oled-model-new-display-old-tech#comments

Edited by DLurkster
9 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

As I somewhat guessed, hope twisted the prospect of what we thought this Switch revision will be. But it could just be merely that the OLED screens and the firmware update of Aula just got mixed up in all the commotion. Maybe it isn't leakers fault per se, the fact checking must of gotten skewed over time resembling what we think is truth or is coming.

Either way as I said, it was and is ridiculous that that this hype was tantamount to disappointment for some. 

IF Nintendo had come out and stated some things to clear up all these reports the collateral damage could have been a lot less, but when you have legit sources reporting all of this info and willing to put it in print they have a strong enough belief in the info they have gotten to publish it,

I'd give blind demand for 4K on Switch a factor to some degree....   and I could even buy that Switch 2 and Switch Revision intel could have gotten mixed seeing as how late in the development cycle it COULD be for the Switch's successor, and the fact some games got moved further back that look like they might be moved back for "Pro" hardware coming.

That said I realize Nintendo won't do certain things for certain reasons and revisions versus new machines....and won't put out there for public consumption till whatever is ready--and they won't cannibalize sales.

7 hours ago, purple_beard said:

IF Nintendo had come out and stated some things to clear up all these reports the collateral damage could have been a lot less, but when you have legit sources reporting all of this info and willing to put it in print they have a strong enough belief in the info they have gotten to publish it,

The above was never gonna happen, the closest you'll get to that and we see these a lot. 'We have two families of Switch systems and will continue sell that and as always we're continuing looking to the future of Switch with innovated ideas' or 'We cannot confirm nor deny report of Switch revision'.

Honestly, I want to know where the whole firmware thing and Nintendo have said to devs to prepare to make titles to 4K. I always found that a odd thing for Nintendo to say.

So with how I view Nintendo, what was being said and what ppl thought Nintendo said just didn't match up what they done in the past and who they essential are.

Edited by DLurkster
19 hours ago, purple_beard said:

you're talking as if Nintendo's bottom line will be hurt lmao. People are going to buy their Pokemon, Zelda, and Splatoon 4k or not and Switch will still be on track to be one of the best-selling consoles of all time (isn't the OLED already out of pre-orders?). The 'collateral damage' are just a tiny fraction of very online Gamers(TM) who trolled themselves into thinking Nintendo wouldn't pull a Nintendo; 90%+ of them will probably buy BotW2 anyway.

Edited by Stephen 776

I would laugh at that comic strip but that last comment about, 'which are still good' is questionable about OLED. Yes, it is nice we got a new model but this is good for a select amount of ppl. I am not trying to label myself out as the only one this OLED is not for but I am obviously not alone outside, overpriced or outright hate it (which I have to say is very little or vocal minority) but simply for how one use a Switch or already own a good condition Switch, this is not for them. I fall into that camp.

So this which is still good is not as solid response to all of this end satirically. Everything else is spot on except the last comment tho.

Also, there are days ppl who just prefer cake or cookies, in that context outside OLED, that is funny and true.

21 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I would laugh at that comic strip but that last comment about, 'which are still good' is questionable about OLED. Yes, it is nice we got a new model but this is good for a select amount of ppl. I am not trying to label myself out as the only one this OLED is not for but I am obviously not alone outside, overpriced or outright hate it (which I have to say is very little or vocal minority) but simply for how one use a Switch or already own a good condition Switch, this is not for them. I fall into that camp.

So this which is still good is not as solid response to all of this end satirically. Everything else is spot on except the last comment tho.

Also, there are days ppl who just prefer cake or cookies, in that context outside OLED, that is funny and true.

I feel like you're being a bit too diplomatic with the response on this one.  The reason why the comic is spot on is because it does a great job highlighting how much of the critical response around the OLED model is driven by expectations heightened by insider rumors only to be "dashed" because Nintendo revealed a product that did not match those rumors.  On its own merits the new model would have its criticisms without the aforementioned rumors ever being a thing (for instance, I agree that it's pricey) but the response likely would not have been nearly as divisive as it is now having been seasoned by "insider spice".