SwitchPro...seem more imminent? / SWOLED / new hardware

3 hours ago, alienboyva said:

As much as I would love to have a bigger/OLED screen, a better kick stand, better audio, 64 GB buin-in storage, I can't justify buying this at $350 when my launch day Switch is perfectly fine and I'm still perfectly happy with it. Just wish it had the better battery life tho. :(  

Same. Mine had some repair work, but it's working fine. Can't justify another one... unless it was to replace the one I have.

GX brought up a good  point....

If you are buying a new Switch, which at this time is $300 vs $350...   $300 plus a game or $350... is the $50 worth it?  If you are a new system owner.  If I had the current Switch in good condition I can't see the $50 upgrade....If I had an OG Switch... I'd be interested at least....

I wonder if Gamestop takes a Switch in just tablet form as I don't want to give up my gray JCs....  And while those white ones look fresh... I know how they will look dirty....

8 hours ago, alienboyva said:

As much as I would love to have a bigger/OLED screen, a better kick stand, better audio, 64 GB buin-in storage, I can't justify buying this at $350 when my launch day Switch is perfectly fine and I'm still perfectly happy with it. Just wish it had the better battery life tho. :(  

You say that and I know you know the Switch V2 has the same better battery life as the OLED.

Unless you were looking for better battery life than 4.5-9hrs.

When I think about (despite my OG Switch at the time was in as good condition it could be) is why I got the Switch V2.  To me, if I was had launch day Switch in good condition or it has a little wear and tear, I might consider getting OLED Switch. As it stands, I have everything I use the current V2 that benefit me more than what OLED provides that I don't use often.

In that regard it would be a waste on me and little money to waste to put aside.

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

This is pretty much the OG Switch to OLED for me, it's great it exist but where's the rest of it?

Now, that I got those posts out of the way, I can further elaborate on what I mentioned in reply to AB post about what I don't often use on Switch as much that is a boon for this OLED.

Ahem, throughout the Switch lifespan, my usage on each mode have changed depending on the time of the year and the games that release then as well. Currently, I can say I use my Switch 60% docked and 40% handheld. With this in mind, it makes it harder for me to see this iteration of Switch viable currently and since that prospect changes, (depending on titles and situations in life) the OLED as package is nice don't get me wrong (especially the look alone) but this won't do any thing for my configure play of Switch anytime soon.

Like Ridley Prime brought and I will too, Nintendo have done this before with their handhelds, not so much consoles or barely. They are working themselves up to what we may marginally want from advanced Switch. At this point I am confident in two years time we will have the Switch equivalent of New Nintendo 3DS and this Switch won't be called Nintendo Switch Pro but New Nintendo Switch. We just went out of order by coincidence, like two years ago should of been the Switch's XL like the 3DS and DS before it, than lite right now and finally the new handheld system.

Not mere coincidence that all the iterations of the Switch family have been focused on the handheld side, that is what Nintendo does best and no in the video game manufacturer can top. So why mess with what worked for them so far, huh? This just means they can make more money with a family of systems then just sticking to one version, tho I see the regular Switch being discontinued by the end of its life cycle and whatever latest family of system will replace it as the main be cheaper, maybe on the cheaper price. It's unfortunate this is how they are gonna do it but as of now, this OLED is not a buy for me. 

Joke vid, also real talk we know those pro leakers are mad.

Serious video and good dichotomy discussion.

Edited by DLurkster
15 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I already have this, see below :P

But really, not much to this revision but it does look cool.  Maybe if I got my Switch at launch I'd be more inclined to upgrade but I'm good with what I have for now.

May be an image of screen

This my friend as much as good attempt to say, 'I got this'.:P This Switch is too white to be OLED.

Unless I am off, the white on the OLED look similar to the PS5 white look, where in some light it look greyish.

Nintendo CONFIRMS Switch OLED Is NOT Switch Pro… - YouTube

Brought up here, and I think other videos.... and my thoughts ran this way too...

THIS version of the Switch revision....

phase out current model to this one...

this one runs out till end of life cycle till NEXT Switch

Next year they could do a Switch Pro adding on to THIS model for the 4k stuff..... and therefore a pro....

*I keep thinking the reason Splatoon 3 and BotW2 are coming next year is because these games will need the extra ram and processing power to run "properly"

So with the parts they can source right now I bet this is what they could cobble together to get a revision out with the larger screen for the pandemic portable play we might be in for a while.  In a year the parts might get more available to actually do the hardware upgrades.

I do think the PR spin on this will come out bad for Nintendo, while they have been mum on any kind of hardware upgrades the reports by business journals and respected media outlets along with shareholder pressures make this look like half baked answer to future growth and tech considerations for themselves and against the gaming competition.

*I do find that to be different than the 3DS changing over the N3DSXL because of the upgraded processor, screen, amiibo scanner, and better 3D sweet spot....  real tangible hardware upgrades.  I do think though, that the system specific games for that later system didn't sell because they couldn't operate on the older hardware at all versus sub-optimal.

I think I am interested still in this one because of plastic warps and cracks in my own Switch...if I didn't have those issues I'd pass on this.   Then again, with my above assertions, do I need to drop $350 now and a real pro hits next year?  IDK, because I am docked play most cases so .... the plastic cracks probably won't cause major issues but I do wonder about dust lint/fibers getting ito the system.

Man, I do love those white JCs.... and the white dock is nice, and will match my white Wii I have..... but I do kind of wish they also offered a all black version....   not really against getting a new dock....

I'm trying to get a PO in at BBY though LOL.

Every youtuber/journalist: It's just a rumor, take with grain of salt, don't get that hyped.

Also every youtuber/journalist: No! That's not what I expected!

Nintendo's still doing fine with the Switch by the way. All upcoming games like Splatoon 3 and Breath of the Wild 2 are definitely gonna be on it also. Over 90+ million people own a Switch, only a fraction of whom will get whatever new revision or model, and so they're gonna ensure those games are on the base Switch one way or another, lest they massively hinder those games' sales.

As I correctly predicted too, joycon drift is still going to be a thing because this OLED hardware uses the exact same controllers as the previous model. The nice new black and white colors don't mean shit. They're still gonna drift before long. Nintendo's big enough to delay taking action by stalling legal battles until a decision is made and they're forced to comply with court orders. Until that ever happens, they'll be dragging their heels as long as they can so they can keep selling the faulty controllers before having to make a new version of joycon that lasts better.

Edited by Ridley Prime

This revision is - realistically - what I should have expected. It's not something for me since it's primarily mobile enhancements, but I've got a few mates that are rather keen on it.

OLED would be such a massive improvement. I'd really love to see what it looks like in person when I get the chance. Both my phone and my TV are OLED and it really can't be beat for contrast.

7 hours ago, Kodiack said:

This revision is - realistically - what I should have expected. It's not something for me since it's primarily mobile enhancements, but I've got a few mates that are rather keen on it.

OLED would be such a massive improvement. I'd really love to see what it looks like in person when I get the chance. Both my phone and my TV are OLED and it really can't be beat for contrast.

Yes, those deeper black we can see on the system is gonna be impressive, tho I am not getting one. I most likely will see display models at Best Buy and such, for folks to see pristine presentation.

I am curious how well this will do in direct sunlight, most of Nintendo's systems with a screen have not fare well even with auto brightness starting with the 3DS, the OLED has auto brightness too so I wonder in combination how it will fair in sunlight like smartphones of today?

8 hours ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Well, I guess we can say the Switch Pro rumors are dead now.

Oh... this isn't gonna stop anyone.  Too many insiders considered legit have chimed in on this for the crowd to let it just come to an end.  That and the people so expecting a Pro and not getting what they wanted will hold on to that until it happens or Switch hits end of life.

Edited by Kezay

Yes, sometimes I can read the internet like a book (remember ppl don't read things all the way on the internet), that's where I and some come in and throw that statistic out of the window. It's not that hard when you see general patterns happening with fads or rumors.

So yeah, till we get this Switch pro, (which I am calling it New Nintendo Switch two years from) we gonna find how and why the Switch Pro isn't a thing yet.

Until then I am workkeeping some names for Nintendo Switch (OLED): "You can't spell OLED without OLD, what is OLED (e is slient) is new again. Nintendo Switch (OLED)."

Nintendo Switch: Monkey Paw Model. Those who expected more performance features, got monkey paw'd. We reap what we sow.

Edited by DLurkster
26 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Oh... this isn't gonna stop anyone.  Too many insiders considered legit have chimed in on this for the crowd to let it just come to an end.  That and the people so expecting a Pro and not getting what they wanted will hold on to that until it happens or Switch hits end of life.

It’s an annoying endless sense of entitlement, but yeah. I think those that aren’t following leakers/investors have stopped humoring the notion after the OLED reveal though, with Nintendo being Nintendo.