SwitchPro...seem more imminent? / SWOLED / new hardware

Pokemon Arceus 2022

No date for BotW2

No MP4 news

It just keeps the feeling that more powerful hardware or some incarnation is looming with a lot of these nicer games having dates held back....

Of course I won't believe it till it comes from Nintendo's own mouth.  And I am not quite sure about it being as slight as 3DS to N3DS *but I must admit as someone who had both those iterations.... N3DS really did make the 3D more enjoyable to use.

Edited by purple_beard
Just now, Fuzzer1 said:

Splatoon 3 and Project Triangle Strategy coming out next year too.

Hopefully Switch owners who don't get the Switch Pro, or whatever its actually called and even confirmed, can also play these games too.

^ This.

I'd be annoyed if they pulled the exclusive games for X system card. Especially due to the Switch costing around 2 3ds's. It's far from cheap.

But to be honest, I'm sick of hearing about Switch Pro rumors. Wishing doesn't make it so (this is in regards to what I've heard via Twitter). I've had to mute my share of terms and phrases in relation to it.

As for dates, they don't mean much imo in the long run, until Nintendo says so otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Splatoon 3 and Project Triangle Strategy coming out next year too.

Hopefully Switch owners who don't get the Switch Pro, or whatever its actually called and even confirmed, can also play these games too.

Damn, forgot to mention that Splatoon 3... yeah.... that counts for the purpose of this thread.

That feel when Switch Pro is trending again because people can't cope with how bad the framerate of the open world Pokemon is and are saying it was made with better hardware in mind.

Really am sick of the Pro talk/rumors regardless. Whether I would invest in one depends on the games it would enhance, the price, etc, but even then I expect it to be a minuscule enhancement that I would go as well without like other Nintendo hardware revisions (the DS and 3DS re-releases). And yeah, regardless of how much more powerful a Pro or whatever they would call it is, I don't see them screwing over vanilla Switch owners far as games that were already promised for the system. That's never been their style.

Just now, Ridley Prime said:

That feel when Switch Pro is trending again because people can't cope with how bad the framerate of the open world Pokemon is and are saying it was made with better hardware in mind.

Really am sick of the Pro talk/rumors regardless. Whether I would invest in one depends on the games it would enhance, the price, etc, but even then I expect it to be a minuscule enhancement that I would go as well without like other Nintendo hardware revisions (the DS and 3DS re-releases). And yeah, regardless of how much more powerful a Pro or whatever they would call it is, I don't see them screwing over vanilla Switch owners far as games that were already promised for the system. That's never been their style.

Yea apart from the New 3ds XL. That had some exclusives that could only run on that. And it was one thing to do that kind of thing there and a whole other thing to do that via console. It's far less doable due to costs. 

30 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah, they could go Apple mode for handheld re-releases, but doing so as much for a main console wouldn't go over nearly as well.

Exactly. Especially in the middle of a pandemic and a recession/depression. How many people, apart from the upper middle class and the wealthy can afford to get another system?

19 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

I'd sooner assume the frame issues is because the game is still early in development.  The way some of the Pokemon (especially Chingling) had that stuttery movement reminded me of how creatures in the distance on Resident Evil Mercenaries 3DS would animate if there was too much going onscreen until you got closer to them.

I see the stars lining up for sure with the releases but I feel those are just coincidences. We have not see gameplay of MP4 or BotW 2, we seen a concept of gameplay with Splatoon 3 (wouldn't consider it genuine gameplay as of yet)

The only thing and as Kezay said is Pokemon Legends: Arceus looking little rough on optimization, a Switch pro can definitely hope but all it needs is to fine tune gameworld where Pokemon don't look like they going at 10FPS.

So until Nintendo says we gonna to produce enhanced Switch, there's is no Switch Pro coming. I'm with Ridley Prime, that I am tired of hearing these rumors and nothing is coming from them..

Also, when this New Switch comes, Nintendo is not gonna do what they sort of did with the N3DS and make like 3 games that can only run on it, they are gonna the PS4 Pro route and just boost the visual fidelity and FPS of Nintendo Switch games on the pro and that is it. Simple.

I think something breaks one of three ways next year...

TV ONLY SWITCH and via extra power they get into that 4K upscaling thing (dlss?) with that unit.  All prior controllers work with it and it may include onboard ways of charging JCs.

REGULAR Switch gets a hardware upgrade akin to the 3DS > N3DS.  Now my personal experience with the 3DS hardware change was that yeah, the N one processed the 3D in a better fashion to where I was more likely to play with the 3D on because that sweet spot opened up dramatically from the first iteration.  Also it did seem to play more system demanding games smoother.

*I personally think* a true NEW console from Nintendo won't hit for 2 years and I think the Switch platform is the best way for them to proceed.  And I don't think anything in this category gets mentioned for another 18 months or so but I do think they figure out a way that all the Pro and JC controllers out now will work with it but the JCs get an actual redesign to commensurate with the new hardware. 

If a Pro does release though, I would consider myself a interested party in what changes...  Parts of my shell have small cracks, I do get some funny loading issues with my carts randomly ...   In otherwords, it will take more than tablet batter upgrades for me to even consider buying one right now....  whereas with that 3DS>N3DS change I had a worn out thumbpad, chipping paint on Dpad, and the onboard amiibo scanner (versus the dongle needed for the old design).... kind of added up and then throw in bigger screen, better running 3D.... it was an easy sell for me to make the change.  Although, back in the day, I just kept my DSFAT...never got enticed for the Lite(s).

lmao. A TV only Switch would be terrible. The hybrid/portability factor is the main appeal of the Switch. Without it the entire point would be lost and would just be another generic console, one that's likely still weaker than the latest Xboxes and Playstations.

Ideas like that is why I'm glad fans don't work at Nintendo. They always put innovation before horsepower.

58 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

lmao. A TV only Switch would be terrible. The hybrid/portability factor is the main appeal of the Switch. Without it the entire point would be lost and would just be another generic console, one that's likely still weaker than the latest Xboxes and Playstations.

Ideas like that is why I'm glad fans don't work at Nintendo. They always put innovation before horsepower.

I hear you but the Switch Lite being portable only also defeats the grand purpose of it being a home/portable hybrid console yet it sure hasn't stopped those Lites from selling.

Edited by purple_beard
13 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I hear you but the Switch Lite being portable only also defeats the grand purpose of it being a home/portable hybrid console yet it sure hasn't stopped those Lites from selling.

I get both of you, I really do but I believe what RP is getting at that tho the Switch Lite doesn't make sense then or even now as it it essentially not a Switch anymore, Nintendo tho fused their R&D with handheld and console, Nintendo still has a hold on the handheld market. So tho Switch Lite again doesn't make sense for the Switch they are the only video game manufacturer that can sell a system like this. On the opposite end you are saying that won't fly as Nintendo just selling a console only will always and forever flounder no matter how they innovate in place of power.

So Switch Lite will continue to be a thing and the opposite will never come into existence. A higher power in whatever form the next Switch will be before the Switch 2, will be the only one that will be after Switch Lite and also why it is taking this long as well. They have to make sure that this doesn't become a waste time of money.

So I will wait till Nintendo thinks they are ready to share their plans for the Nintendo Switch Pro, just won't be anytime soon.

44 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

That's because powerful portability has been the main marketing for the Switch. Take away that and it's just another system that's weaker than the competition. Playing AAA games on the go is a novelty that has sold the Switch and by extension the Lite. Playing at home isn't and thus is treated as an expendable extra. A non-portable Switch would either flop or undoubtedly sell poorly in comparison.

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

That's because powerful portability has been the main marketing for the Switch. Take away that and it's just another system that's weaker than the competition. Playing AAA games on the go is a novelty that has sold the Switch and by extension the Lite. Playing at home isn't and thus is treated as an expendable extra. A non-portable Switch would either flop or undoubtedly sell poorly in comparison.

I mean the Wii was way underpowered than its contemporaries and yet it sold well.

I am in agreement that the hybrid nature and the new games from Nintendo on the Switch are helping it sell right now and the portability factor on ports from other consoles/on other consoles can't be be denied as a selling point for sure.

But to move up to say being "somewhat" on par with XBXSX and PS5 that can't be done in a tablet form factor at an enticing price point and cost effective price point.

Also, I would doubt they get muddy with play in 4K on your tv but drop down significantly when you go portable unless that 4K scaling processing can really work miracles for tablet form factors.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I mean the Wii was way underpowered than its contemporaries and yet it sold well.

The Wii was essentially lightning in bottle, the comparison you're making for TV only Switch doesn't work because Wii was the first time Nintendo went underpower with their console and it predated smartphones. You cannot possible bring a console with does less then the Switch in todays world with a modest power up still not up to today standards with no portable play.

I am in agreement that the hybrid nature and the new games from Nintendo on the Switch are helping it sell right now and the portability factor on ports from other consoles/on other consoles can't be be denied as a selling point for sure.

But to move up to say being "somewhat" on par with XBXSX and PS5 that can't be done in a tablet form factor at an enticing price point and cost effective price point.

We don't know for the moment how feasible the above is, if it was Nintendo would of announced already despite all the speculation so that to me speaks how far out the above is and we are not seeing this console anytime soon.

Also, I would doubt they get muddy with play in 4K on your tv but drop down significantly when you go portable unless that 4K scaling processing can really work miracles for tablet form factors.

See the above last bold statement for the same answer.

Yeah, the Wii example is a strawman argument for this topic when it was a completely different era, when they had tapped into a previously untapped market before we had mobile gaming.

And yeah, we don't know how feasible it is to make something a certain amount more powerful while also maintaining the portability factor. You also gotta consider the Japanese market, which largely prefers handhelds to regular consoles, and well Nintendo being a Japanese company... On the other hand, Japan was the slowest to embracing online gaming, and Nintendo's the most Japanese of the big game companies, which is primarily why they've always been behind with online compared to everyone else.

A next Nintendo system that for whatever reason would ditch their main current advantage, the portability, the only way I would invest in it is if it's cutting edge hardware and the online was up to par by today's standards, especially when we pay for online now even with Nintendo. Their online can't be ass like it has been forever. I think even their home nation is finally getting impatient with them now far as that.

At any rate, we're merely through the halfway point of the Switch according to Nintendo. It's not going away or to be replaced by a successor in just a couple years. Splatoon 3 which everyone thought would've been saved for the next main system will no doubt extend the lifecycle of the Switch, among other upcoming games, whether a Switch Pro happens or not.