Pokemon Presents - Feb 26 - 7:00AM PST

The DP remakes... I've never had such a big smile vanish so immediately. Looks like the next Let's Go--another game so insultingly easy it'll beat itself. The art style looks boring and empty, reminiscent of the Link's Awakening remake which was slow and one of Nintendo's laziest yet.

No opinion on Legends because we don't really know what it is yet. Plus, this is Game Freak we're talking about. EVERY time they've tried a new thing in the past 15 years, it's been barely playable. DP, XY, SS. I'm ready for Legends to be just as underwhelming.

I really liked the series throwback/retrospective - made me feel nostalgic

More Pokemon Snap info was nice

Both Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl look alright so far - not sure about how i feel about the look of the Chibi models for the overworld yet, but maybe they'll grow on me in time - they look fine in battle, though

Though everything else looks fine graphically, there's still quite a bit of time until release, so maybe things will be polished up more by the time they come out

And hopefully they actually include the other myth/legend pokemon in game as side quest type stuff instead of having the Pokemon themselves handed out or in store event items - that's something that annoyed me for the most part

And hopefully no Shiny locked legends or starters - always irritates me when they do that in some games for no real reason

But im probably going to end up getting Brilliant Diamond at some point after release anyway

______

But Pokemon Legends Arceus was a surprise and looks interesting

Looks like it's more of an open world than the Wild Area in Sw/Sh - and as far as i can tell, looks somewhat better graphically than the Wild Area too

The cross regional starters is a bit unexpected, though - it's going to be difficult choosing since i like all 3 of them equally - and my favorites of each generation and the ones i chose in each generation

Definitely going to be difficult to choose....

But im curious how well this game will turn out

Honestly, these two games look nice. Dunno if I'll get them, but they look nice. Diamond/Pearl remakes' art style is simplistic, and I'd rather not have the DP remake project devolve into making Sinnoh look pretty when there's only so much you can do to make a DS game look modern, so I'm fine with that choice.  Dunno if I'll get them, though, I still need more information. Pokemon Arceus Legends seems like a solid concept. I'm not a huge fan of open world myself, so dunno if The Legend of Arceus: Mons of the Wild will be my thing, but dear arceus has Pokemon needed to try something new and this seems to be exactly that. Maybe I'll get it, maybe I don't, but I'm glad to see GF trying something new.

My big question right now is since the Sinnon remakes are allegedly D/P remakes will they retain certain features of Platinum or not? Despite having few big changes, Platinum was a night and day improvement over DP. And I'm talking stuff on the level of like having a fire Pokemon other than Ponyta and the starter; obviously distortion world ain't making it and that's fine.

Edited by Stephen 776

I really like how you can edit your photos and share them online in the New PKMN Snap. I can't wait to see all the pics people take.

The D & P remakes look good, but IDK how I feel about the art style. Something about the chibi characters on the overworld look off. I mean, I get why they did this, but I think it would have looked better if they didn't try to recreate the DS games' art style.

PKMN Legends looks pretty cool! I love the BotW art style it has going one. I nice to see GameFeak stepping up their game here with the graphics.

----------------------------------

BTW, WTH is this thing they showed off in the 25 years of PKMN video? :o 

image.png.45ac6fc28df7858df2571826ebbbf7fc.png

I still have my TIGER gen 1 Pokédex from back in the day and it always annoyed me that it wasn't a 1-to-1 of the one featured in the anime. I would so loved to have had the one featured in the video as kid. ...And I still would love to have it too. :P 

Spoiler

Edited by alienboyva

I'm in favor of the style they chose for the DP remakes. Sword and Shield are an ugly set of games. And I think the chibi-esque style is part of DP's charm.

Legends looks really cool. It'll hopefully make the people who've been crying for a Pokemon of the Wild game finally shut up.

Everything here looked great. None of these games are developed by GameFreak, so hopefully GF is receiving the time they need to make a quality product. But with Pokemon Company reaching to other developers, that gives hope to new and interesting titles.

Also I laughed out loud when they completely skipped Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness. Even Pokemon Box was shown for half a second. Those poor games are destined to vanish into obscurity.

I liked Sword and Shield, graphics wise. But I like the direction they went with the DP remakes. They serve those games well. Both are their own, art wise and it's cool.

As for anything sad, it sucks that Colosseum and XD were ignored. They mentioned Stadium, which was ok, but the other games were just as good in their own right.

Only mention we've had of Colosseum and XD has been in Pokemon Go. And it's sad seeing them being sidelined like that.

Edited by Doc Brown

One last optimistic post before I go back to shitposting:

Since Legends: Arceus gives us an ancient Sinnoh based on feudal Japan, this opens the door for similar games based on the non-Japanese regions.

For example, Unova could have a game set in early-20th century New York. Spider-Man 2 the movie game, anyone? What did Kyurem look like before Reshiram and Zekrom split off from it? Maybe we'd get to see what Route 4 looked like before 9/11 turned it into a barren desert?

I'm surprised they went the direction that they did with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl versus building upon Sword and Shield's engine.  Either way, I enjoyed the Sinnoh games so I'll end up revisiting with Shining Pearl later this year for sure.  I really like what they're doing with Legends though and I can't wait to see more of it as it's further along in development.  Also the first time I've heard Arceus' name pronounced as I always pronounced Ar-SEE-us rather than ARK-ee-us.

Pokemon Snap though...POKEMON SNAP THOUGH!!  They really put their foot in this one (I meant that in a good way!) with all the different environments which you can apparently go through during the day or at night and it will change appropriately.  New tools/resources to get Pokemon in ideal positions and photo editing and just seeing so many different kinds of animations with Pokemon just doing their own things or reacting to what you do.  Really looking forward to this one.

That moment when you order your Pokedex from Wish.com. :P

To be honest though, I can't even find on a google a Pokedex toy that looked like what they had in the video either.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, alienboyva said:

----------------------------------

I still have my TIGER gen 1 Pokédex from back in the day and it always annoyed me that it wasn't a 1-to-1 of the one featured in the anime. I would so loved to have had the one featured in the video as kid. ...And I still would love to have it too. :P 

Hide contents

On 2/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, Tyranogre said:

It's not just about the Dexit.

It's about removing features from previous games, lying to consumers, adding half-assed gimmicks to the battle system without ever bothering to fine-tune them in later games, and most of all, rushing shit out the door year after year just to meet an arbitrary deadline.

Returning to this... The Pokedex is all I'm talking about here. The outrage about the Dex is overblown and redirected venting for all of Sword/Shield's other shortcomings (which deserve every criticism). And I don't see when Game Freak lied about the game's features.

I get that people are mad about S/S. I am too. But instead of keeping our criticisms reasonable, much of this fandom has gone far off the deep end--even making threats. When we act like a game with 1000+ Pokemon is easy and free of consequences for game design or the competitive scene, we just tell Game Freak that we don't know what we're talking about and so we should be ignored--we'll buy the games anyway.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, alienboyva said:

Hide contents

I HAD THAT POKEDEX!!! But my brother wouldn't share it. I only got to use it when my mom would take it away and nobody else knew her hiding spot.

I'm with AB that Chibi look of the characters in the overworld is just off and jarring, I get it is to preserve but I think my expectation of it looking like SW/SH really blind to see it as anything else, tbh. And I was one the few that didn't mind the look of SW/SH, they definitely could tune up and optimize the game a bit but that is the best looking Pokemon game well until New Pokemon Snap comes out that is.

Even after sitting with this thought in mind I still from the reveal, pretty sure I am not getting the remakes, It was my least fave gen anyways so this look to me does not help me particularly. I am happy for those that it is out but not in the form it is, there's a difference. First time I am not getting remake and I sort of blame GF, all their remakes was made with the engine of the current gen, all the way back from FR/LG to ORAS. Like I said I get the look but maybe or maybe not I will get used to it but this isn't it for me, for now.

I am hyped for the potential of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, I think most are but right now and we all know this game looks rough and with this taking place in Sinnoh, this game will be the diamond in the rough, once polished to close perfection. That is my hope for the potential game. Super, super hyped for this game.

• Chrom featured this topic