Nintendo Direct for Feb. 17th (2:00 P.M. PST/5:00 P.M. EST); ~50 minutes long

Isotope

Something about Skyward Sword just seems off.

I enjoyed it back on the Wii, but something about this HD version looks off. I can't quite place it. I think it's the textures and the shading. The visual style is sort of a moving painting, and for some reason, it doesn't feel like it translated well in the HD upscale. Of course, that's just an initial reaction based on a brief trailer. 

4 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

I enjoyed it back on the Wii, but something about this HD version looks off. I can't quite place it. I think it's the textures and the shading. The visual style is sort of a moving painting, and for some reason, it doesn't feel like it translated well in the HD upscale. Of course, that's just an initial reaction based on a brief trailer. 

For me, I think it was getting too used to BotW's visuals, then seeing SS's style.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Keep in mind they did tweak TP:HD a bit and we stopped getting hit with that BS about how much a Blue Rupee is every time you got one. I can see them doing similar tweaks to SSHD

Every port has gotten worse. Ocarina of Time 3D started strong with amazing visuals and controls, and the whole Master Quest (which few people had gotten to experience before). Majora's Mask had the controls and graphics plus so many QoL upgrades that it's actually a playable video game now. Wind Waker also had greatly enhanced controls, but no new content. Twilight Princess... had a few QoL tweaks and that's it.

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Every port has gotten worse. Ocarina of Time 3D started strong with amazing visuals and controls, and the whole Master Quest (which few people had gotten to experience before). Majora's Mask had the controls and graphics plus so many QoL upgrades that it's actually a playable video game now. Wind Waker also had greatly enhanced controls, but no new content. Twilight Princess... had a few QoL tweaks and that's it.

Disagree on TPHD, the upres on the graphics looked pretty damn good.

4 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

Skyward Sword really made the most out of the limitations of the Wii, to the point where it really felt like the whole art direction of the game was built around making a unique and striking looking SD game. Seeing the graphics so clear and crisp now definitely feels weird, though hopefully the difference won't be so stark in the final game.

If nothing else, we can at least look forward to seeing Groose's glorious pompadour in HD.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Disagree on TPHD, the upres on the graphics looked pretty damn good.

Well, aside from updating a doomed art style, Twilight Princess HD was almost a direct port.

Replaying Super Mario 64 DS has had me reflecting on how above-and-beyond Nintendo's remakes used to be. Well, back then we didn't even make a distinction between remakes vs ports, because when Nintendo did simply port something, they were quiet about it. Now the remakes are undercooked (like Link's Awakening) and the ports are pitched as AAA sellers.

We used to rip on Nintendo for reselling old games via Virtual Console, but now it's getting absurd. It's like they're trying to get literally every Nintendo game ever made onto Switch cartridges. Which, okay, is still great news for the many people who didn't get the games back then, but to the core Nintendo fans like us it's been like a smack in the face. Unless you invested in the Wii U like I did, in which case it's 350 smacks plus tax.

Okay, after mulling it over for a day. I Have come to an conclusion on the score of yesterday ND. I said it might be low because of how scattered the announcements were, (that's a nitpick there) in my mind it couldn't be lower than 6 out of 10 and if I wasn't being honest with myself 8 out of 10. So settled on 7.5 out of 10. I feel it is the best of both worlds of what I love in the direct. There were a few new and old confirmation of games and putting that together along where those game were announced in the ND, that is fair honest score for me.

Loved the Splatoon 3 surprise but I would love more if we had a surprise that was coming this year. That would of made the different of solid 8 than 7.5. Like I said where the announcement can make difference how one takes in the whole ND and the sum of their parts.

--------------------

6 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

I think it is that and the game is running 60FPS as well. Unless you see the game on emulator running that game at 60, it's gonna look weird at first. Let's see if we can get used that before we write off the visuals of this HD port.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

Well, aside from updating a doomed art style, Twilight Princess HD was almost a direct port.

Replaying Super Mario 64 DS has had me reflecting on how above-and-beyond Nintendo's remakes used to be. Well, back then we didn't even make a distinction between remakes vs ports, because when Nintendo did simply port something, they were quiet about it. Now the remakes are undercooked (like Link's Awakening) and the ports are pitched as AAA sellers.

We used to rip on Nintendo for reselling old games via Virtual Console, but now it's getting absurd. It's like they're trying to get literally every Nintendo game ever made onto Switch cartridges. Which, okay, is still great news for the many people who didn't get the games back then, but to the core Nintendo fans like us it's been like a smack in the face. Unless you invested in the Wii U like I did, in which case it's 350 smacks plus tax.

Not going to lie... the upres on a more modern console AND the Wolf Link Amiibo really sold me on TPHD.  I liked TP originally.... and I still prefer the Wii version because I did like the motion controls in it.... I played the WiiU port with regular controller...  I think I prefered motion.  I did like the cleaner sharper graphics though.  Granted I was running hte 480p Wii setup so...

Unless they redo the style or graphics completely, which I wouldn't be opposed to, I am fine with upres/cleaner presentations.

• Chrom featured this topic

Wait, these are US links, am I really gonna pay a little more to get these?

I had a feeling when links were involved it would be the US, I have my own feelers for the Canada. I thought for a split second it was for Canada but I was wrong.

Thank, Steve I will just wait for the Canada links to come up, tho.

Just now, DLurkster said:

Wait, these are US links, am I really gonna pay a little more to get these?

I had a feeling when links were involved it would be the US, I have my own feelers for the Canada. I thought for a split second it was for Canada but I was wrong.

Thank, Steve I will just wait for the Canada links to come up, tho.

Yeah, Canada is always slower, but being Zelda merch I monitor US as well. Looking at some of "Q&A" in those links, it looks like they may have already been sold out.