Nintendo Direct for Feb. 17th (2:00 P.M. PST/5:00 P.M. EST); ~50 minutes long

Isotope

For those that were curious about the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass

Spoiler

Purchase Bonus - Available May 28

-Newly added weapon for Link

-Newly added costume for Link

Wave 1 - Available June 2021

-Expanded Roster

-Newly added weapon types

-Newly challenges in the Royal Ancient Lab

-Newly added challenging enemies

Wave 2 - Available Nov 2021

-New character vignettes

-Newly added stages

-Expanded Roster

-New battle skills for existing characters

All for $19.99 USD

The Pyra/Mythra reveal for Smash was surprising and well done.

Mario Golf looked amazing and the speed golf mode made me so giddy watching everyone race down the fairway to their balls.

Age of Calamity DLC is great and I can't wait to see how they expand the game.

Skyward Sword HD is interesting and makes it the third game to receive the HD treatment after Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. Never really played it back on the Wii despite getting it on the 25th Anniversary, not sure if I'll get it again though.

Splatoon 3 is a big one and it looks really great. Crazy new weapon types and abilities.

No Pokemon news and no BotW2 news, but otherwise it was still a great Direct with plenty for just about every kind of gamer. 8/10

Looking at the what the expansion pass has, I am personally not interested in more weapons and challenges per se.

I have to see what entails this expanded roster business, that is nice but I had to high an expectation for like a DLC story like Cia Tale in HW on Wii U. I'd like to see Astor view and how he came to be in HW AOC. Oh well this to me is not worth the $20 in how I expected, it would suck either way if the characters are meh or good when that doesn't even count the rest of the pass your paying.

Just have to really see if those characters are worth or I can just buy characters alone, if that is possible.

Gotta admit, they got me with the Xenoblade 2 fake out; I totally wasn't expecting that to dovetail into a Smash announcement. Pyra/Mythra looks awesome and I'm kind of surprised that they're doing another transforming/swapping character after they split up Zelda and Sheik, and nixed the Samus/ZSS Final Smash transformation. I guess there's still Pokémon Trainer as a swapping character so it's not entirely unprecedented.

Fall Guys and Outer Wilds are nice additions to the Switch library. Outer Wilds is a really cool and clever game though I don't think I ever want to play it again haha.

Legend of Mana looks awesome, I've never played that one. The Switch is kind of turning into a Mana hub isn't it?

Tales from the Borderlands is a fun game, one of my favorite TellTale games, actually. I think the fact that it's essentially a comedy game really helped the writing on that one.

No More Heroes 3 has a solid release date, hell yeah! Can't wait to do whatever weird little mini-games are included in that one.

Neon White looks pretty interesting—anything published by Annapurna automatically gets my attention. I'd need to see a bit more of the game before committing though.

Miitopia, wow of all the games to see a re-release on the Switch I don't think I'd have ever guessed that one. That's neat but I don't think I want to play through the game again.

Project Triangle Strategy, very interesting. I'm super happy that Square Enix is continuing the whole HD-2D thing, though I'm a little sad that this doesn't use the same combat system as Octopath. At the same time though, I appreciate the need to branch out and not pigeonhole into just one game style every time. And I do like tactics games—most of the time.

Age of Calamity expansion pass, not surprised at all. Though this reminds me that I never got around to wrapping up all of the content in the base game, got distracted by holiday titles. I'll have to get back to that some time.

Skyward Sword HD, also not super surprised since it's the only 3D Zelda game that hasn't gotten some manner of remaster/re-release yet. Interesting to see how the solved the motion controls—doesn't quite look ideal but then again I don't know what else you can do with a game so intrinsically linked to motion controls. Not sure if I'm really interested in replaying Skyward Sword though if I'm being honest.

Splatoon 3, wow I would not have guessed that we'd see another Splatoon game on the Switch. It honestly feels kind of unnecessary? But I'm still down for more Splatoon action. Cool to see that they've moved the focus out of the city and into a…post-apocalyptic wasteland or something. I hope that means they'll have plenty of opportunities for inventive new stage designs. Up until the end of the trailer I really thought this new title was going to be more single-player adventure focused, and I do kind of hope that they're more emphasis on the story mode.

3 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

You know?.... I'm starting to wonder if that final Splatfest was just a way for the devs to decide the plot of Splatoon 3. 🤔 I mean it would sort of make sense given that Splatoon 3 revel trailer we just saw.

Hm, like how the final Splatfest of the first game supposedly affected the plot of Splatoon 2? That may be.

The Pyra/Mythra swerve into Smash was great.  I was legit trying to figure out what this was.  Did it take place after the ending?  Well, that doesn't make sense because the world looks the same.  Is this a side story/missing chapter where the gang loses sight of Pyra?  That also doesn't make sense because where in the story would it fit?  Whatever, just glad we got a new Xeno rep and I like how they're handling.  I am surprised they didn't try to implement the Blade system and have Rex as the main like in the games but I still like it.

The Eiji Aonuma swerve however got me, I was so hoping for some BotW2 news!  Skyward Sword HD is a nice consolation however, especially since my GF wants to experience what Zelda was like before Breath of the Wild.

Splatoon 3... I was half expecting them to do some kind of battle royale with the post apocalyptic landscape.  Like, Inkopolis is gone, there are no boundaries kind of deal.  Still interested in seeing where they go with this as I'm sure that beginning section is probably a snippet of some story mode or something.

Legend of Mana, yeah probably not much to most but this was a big surprise for me.  Never played this game, have always wanted to.  I'm guess the Mana Collection and Trials reboot has been a shot in the arm for the series.  I hope Square Enix considers a new entry at some point.

No More Heroes 3, I can only imagine how many people groaned at the idea of having to pay your way into matches by doing odd jobs around town, but I'm here for it as long as the minigames are fun.  Not sure if it was confirmed before, but does this confirm the game being open world much like the original was?

Outer Wilds was an out of left field surprise.  Never played but did watch a couple of playthroughs so I may very well get this.

Neon White, another cool one but it definitely gave me Mirror's Edge vibes with the whole world traversal.

Samurai Warriors 5 is a weird one.  When it comes to this musou-1 vs. 1000 games within the warring states period of Japan I always preferred Capcom's Sengoku Basara games because of how over the top they were.  But this is probably the best looking Samurai Warriors game yet and I like how the characters seem to have a more distinct style.  Certainly not on the level of Basara but still cool looking.

I know I'm missing a lot, but that was a pretty big direct with a lot to digest.  Though my dream, Xenoblade X port, didn't happen and my want, more BotW2, info didn't show up; I'm still pretty satisfied!

Oh and also...

Nice.png.9d6171c7a3ca6bd150e9b93a894d006a.png

55 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Looks like I was onto something here...

I really should see this setting coming tho.

31 minutes ago, Kezay said:

The Pyra/Mythra swerve into Smash was great.  I was legit trying to figure out what this was.  Did it take place after the ending?  Well, that doesn't make sense because the world looks the same.  Is this a side story/missing chapter where the gang loses sight of Pyra?  That also doesn't make sense because where in the story would it fit?  Whatever, just glad we got a new Xeno rep and I like how they're handling.  I am surprised they didn't try to implement the Blade system and have Rex as the main like in the games but I still like it.

I watched that section again and at end of XC 2,Rex didn't have have Pyra's emblem on his chest but he did in this trailer. I know that's is not much because Rex have that on him like 95% of the game. There's only two part he didn't have it, at the start before he died and Prya brought him and the very end when she came back with Mythra. So that is the only explaination when and where the trailer tool place, after he died and journeyed to Elysium and just before Pyra/Mythra sacrifice herself near end game.

I spoiler2 the above as maybe some have not beat XC 2 for 4 year old game... well this coming December.

3 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

So if the Rex Mii Fighter is selected on the Alrest stage, will Alfonzo appear in Rex's helmet instead of Gramps?

Better yet Rex Miiswordfighter on the Alrest stage, in Rex's helmet Gramps is in his prepubescent stage as titan. How can he carry himself or the better question is how can he exist in two states at the same time?!?

Though Splatoon 3 is a long ways off, should try to get it earlier on this time

Though i liked the first one from the free play weekend, never got around to buying it, and by the the time i got around to buying 2, majority of Splatfests were done and still haven't bought the Octopass expansion

Really should preorder it so i can play it early on this time.... assuming i have the funds for it when preorders drop

That new Square Enix game looks awesome--first time in ages that I've felt excited for a non-Nintendo release! But I won't be touching it thanks to the HD-2D art style thing. Octopath was murder on the eyes, plus even Yugioh cards are easier to read than that font size.

@Surge135 Skyward Sword is definitely worth playing... once. The first playthrough is epic--it's replaying that really highlights the heavy the tutorials and slow text. Plus I think this game would probably look worse in HD--the Wii's lower resolution actually reinforced the "watercolor painting" visual style. Also, Pokemon is handled separately from Nintendo, and new Pokemon games are usually announced on their own.

@alienboyva Holy crap! I'd heard Splatoon's lore was shockingly deep and dark, but this is something else. Maybe Splatoon is actually post-apoc Earth, but pre-Pikmin!

16 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Though Splatoon 3 is a long ways off, should try to get it earlier on this time

Though i liked the first one from the free play weekend, never got around to buying it, and by the the time i got around to buying 2, majority of Splatfests were done and still haven't bought the Octopass expansion

Really should preorder it so i can play it early on this time.... assuming i have the funds for it when preorders drop

Same here. Liked the free play weekend and I got to rent it. Never got to buying it though. Might try to get it someday for Single player mainly, so I can catch up. 

I'm getting my SSHD and Zelda JoyCons, that alone was enough.

AOC DLC was inevitable. Pretty stoked for it. All but confirmed Purah and Robbie playable.

Mario Golf? Always down for it. Story mode is nice, and Speed golf looks zany af

Legend of Mana was a PS1 fave of mine, likely to check it out.

Splatoon 3, big hype. And given how the intro was done, I'm getting some Campaign vibes off it. I thought it was "too early" for a release, but yeah, it'll be 5 years, and if COD can do multiple shooters every year, Splatoon can release TWO on a single console.

I wish that dodgeball game wasn't made by EA; looks fun. Hoping for F2P as I can't see myself playing much, but maybe wouldn't mind sinking a weekend into it.

Edited by EH_STEVE