Revisiting SM3DW ( +BF)

Full disclosure: I liked 3DL on 3DS and I was down for the WiiU 3DW game.  I loved the multiplayer angle and the unlockable extra players.  I was feeling the design more than 3DL.  I thought the cat power up actually was pretty beneficial and unique and was something you wanted to use.  The only thing that frustrated me in the two prior games were sometimes the perspectives kind of trapped you into bad decisions/timing via depth perception sometimes.  The final world and boss was EPIC.  I loved Bowser's car though.

After taking down World 1 in portable mode tonight I must say, the game does play a lot snappier than the original so far.  I think the visuals are pretty good but I haven't played them on my larger tv so....

PI'll probably go for Bowser Fury side tomorrow....

So far, solid port and pretty fun.

About to start World 4 in a bit.  This game constantly amazes and frustrates me LOL:

I had forgotten how good the tank/train ect. levels were--especially as homages to their SMB3 roots.

I had forgotten how cool the Ghost House levels were.

Becoming increasingly annoyed at depth perception/perspective issues that caused me cheap deaths...

Been fairing pretty well on no using any guides for stamps and stars.... I think I have only missed about 4 stars so far from the total I could have.

It does look pretty sharp on my 50" plasma.

• Chrom featured this topic

I don’t know about most of whatever they were going on about in the video (the discussion was pretty sporadic), but certainly I can agree that this is a good excuse to test out a potential 3D Mario evolution in a less committal way than a full-fledged game. 

With that said, I can definitely see this spawning a new open world Mario game, but honestly with Nintendo’s track record, I think calling it a “direction” would be too generous. It seems to me pretty arbitrary what game mechanics stick for more than one iteration and which just kind of get thrown to the side after one go. They experiment but then always go back to the standard and generic style; what “works” in their mind, from what I can see. It’s why there’s a gazillion New Super Mario iterations but few true 3D experiences in the first place.

But I would definitely love to see a full game using this kind of gameplay.

@DranSeasona

I kind of feel you.... I'm probably beating SM3DW tonight and plan to start BF tonight.  I think I would prefer a more free form collect what you can collect while you are collecting in the Mario 3D games versus finishing an objective and then backing out only to go back in to start another one....it breaks the game flow up too much.

Well, got up to unlocking final Bowser Castle stage.... I should beat game tomorrow night and start BF tomorrow night.

GRRRR.... did all of Bowser Stage on portable screen.... man I was getting upset about forced perspectives causing odd deaths due to not being able to judge distance and angle properly.

Edited by purple_beard

Played my first bit of BF tonight.  I like the graphics and I like the keep on going mechanic to finding the cat shrine shards.  I think that Bowser Fury timed rage mechanics for doing certain things is kind of cool how it works and what you can reveal, access, or open up is cool.  I like the fact he looks super bad ass too.  The graphics look really sharp and Mario feels pretty responsive.  I like having real weather effects in a Mario game.

2/18

Getting close to the 20 Cat Shine mark tonight and the game is pretty fun.  It is kind of barren on enemies but I liked the new islands I got to explore and I think the shine locations and access tactics are pretty fun and unique so far.  Not sure about a future game mechanic but I do like the more free flowing shine access than the stop and start of prior games.

Edited by purple_beard

Accessed two new areas yesterday, a rotating block level and a desert mountain area.  The rotating block level was pretty darn cool but I lost a lot of lives cheaply on depth perception but more specifically it seems the speed Mario was travelling at was too fast for the rotation of the block to where he'd run off the apex and it would be just enough to be considered like he jumped/fell off the platform and also some enemy knock back bounced me off the surface.  The desert mountain area had some cool elements.

I'm at about 35+- shines right now and i must say they hide them in some good areas and have some unique ways to find them.

Also, the Bowser Jr paintings for items are hidden pretty well but if you explore looking for shines you shouldn't miss many.

Only one area as super annoyed me so far and that was a blue coin challenge stage where all the platforms are invisible until you step on them and with how the pathways turn and how the camera follows you it's kind of annoying to do a time limit coin hunt while also having to manage camera turns on invisible platforms to see your path to coins you need for the shine.

Beat the game *

Spoiler

The @ 50 shine level.... and it appears there is a @ 100 shine level too but you get a credit roll at 50

The Boss fight is super cool.  Bowser really does throw everything at you.  Its a two stage fight and the 2nd stage was unexpected but it was cool too... and more challenging.  Ending of credit roll was a WTF moment LOL.

Interesting to see how the extra session plays out....

I like the mode overall.

I think the only thing that I haven't liked about the Bowser fights, especially the one before the last and the last* one are with his speed gains and chasing the camera position to locate him for attacking it makes the fight a little harder than it really should be but its one of the better rounds of going against Bowser I have seen in the 3D games.

I definitely think its a worthy bonus--easily a $10-20 DLC pack....

10 Tips That Bowser’s Fury Doesn’t Teach You (Secret Camera Tricks, Bowser Jr. Shard Get!, & More!) - YouTube

An actual pretty good tip video IMO.

Edited by purple_beard

Hmmmmmm

Ran into something interesting a moment ago playing round 2 so to speak....

Spoiler

I somehow activated a Bowser Boss fight and beat him via giga bell.... @ only 63 shines....  and had a credit roll and it was a full boss fight.... not at interval of round 1 and not even at a 5 spot...  Not sure if I did something special to fully fight him again at that point... but it was another full bout and credit roll..... and those GX tips for lining him up worked like a charm.

10 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Hmmmmmm

Ran into something interesting a moment ago playing round 2 so to speak....

Hide contents

I somehow activated a Bowser Boss fight and beat him via giga bell.... @ only 63 shines....  and had a credit roll and it was a full boss fight.... not at interval of round 1 and not even at a 5 spot...  Not sure if I did something special to fully fight him again at that point... but it was another full bout and credit roll..... and those GX tips for lining him up worked like a charm.

Spoiler

As far as I'm aware you can just keep fighting Bowser in the full length fight repeatedly after earning the credits once, though I can't say for certain since I didn't. There will be something (very) slightly different when you fight him again after collecting every cat shine in the game, though.

1 minute ago, Eliwood8 said:

Hide contents

As far as I'm aware you can just keep fighting Bowser in the full length fight repeatedly after earning the credits once, though I can't say for certain since I didn't. There will be something (very) slightly different when you fight him again after collecting every cat shine in the game, though.

Cool.... well onward and upward....

Something in the later stages of going for Cat Shines is that Bowser starts popping up a lot more frequently/shorter intervals.

@Eliwood8

Spoiler

Hey, does the 5 on the floating gold island rotate locations around the map when Bowser appears?  Like, I got one at one spot and the next time it was close to me it was at another spot... I haven't noticed if you see where it is going to land once Bowser appears.  I'm kind of mad I was close enough to get a 2nd one off of it but missed it barely then he disappeared.

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Something in the later stages of going for Cat Shines is that Bowser starts popping up a lot more frequently/shorter intervals.

@Eliwood8

Hide contents

Hey, does the 5 on the floating gold island rotate locations around the map when Bowser appears?  Like, I got one at one spot and the next time it was close to me it was at another spot... I haven't noticed if you see where it is going to land once Bowser appears.  I'm kind of mad I was close enough to get a 2nd one off of it but missed it barely then he disappeared.

Spoiler

So it's the same island with the same five Cat Shines but you can only access it at each location once. Once you've gotten a shine while it appears on the left side of the map, for example, that location is done and you have to go to a different spot the next time it appears. I believe you can go to any of the remaining locations in any order when Fury Bowser appears though—just gotta be sure you're near one once it starts raining.

At first I thought you'd have to go to each location five times and it was just padding out the length of the game, so thankfully it's not that!

Got 'em!

Pretty cool mode this Bowser's Fury is.  I really enjoyed it.  Felt like a not quite Odyssey in some respects but not quite 3DW either.....  I think its style has potential for future Mario games.

Cat Shine Comments.

Spoiler

Golden Island=cool but...felt cheap with it being a 5 pack rotating around but at different spots...but figuring out that part and then getting to where you need to go was cool.

Not sure about the find 1, 3, and 5 calico kittens

Bring the key and cat challenges were kind of fun but the oddities of them disappearing in water and pipes seemed kind of odd.

Also it felt like the repetition on the islands of bring the key, collect x shards, ____ (crap, brain fart) felt like repetitive ideas being a part of the shine collection for each island.

Cool:

Spoiler

Playing as Lion Mario after 100 shine count and beating Bowser

Not really any kind of spoiler and I noticed this in earlier battles... but.... you don't necessarily have to wait to have Bowser jump near you for belly stomps, you can use his fireball formed pillars as projectiles for yourself against him and, you can deflect his rock balls to him for hits to turn him over.... some take more damage on him than others.

26 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

All the way back on the title screen press right to switch to Bowser's Fury (it's actually available without playing the main 3D World game at all). It totally should be clearer, I missed it when I first booted up the game as well.

Ahh, perfect, thanks.