Paper Mario turns 20

Nintendo's Paper Mario Series Is Now 20 Years Old - Nintendo Life

WOW, its been that long.

I have a love hate relationship with the game though....  I still haven't gotten over they abandoned the SMRPG concept for Paper Mario.  Hell, I didn't want anything to do with the game as a protest to them doing such.  Then, a few people I trust said it was good but I was still steadfast in my pessimism.    Then, at the dawn of its release on the WiiVC a guy gifted me the game to play.  At that time, I had only played SPM, and I loved that game a lot.... the 2D/3D switching really hooked me in.  Anyways, I finally played the OG game and man, it was that good.  I loved the story, the graphics, the worlds, all of it.

I can't forget that this series turns 20 years, just forgot the little detail of when.

As for my experience with this game was not the legal kind, I am ashamed to admit. I did not nor owned the game ever on a cartridge but at around its release I had the game as a rom on a emulator on PC. Outside of that, I got the game because it was Mario I didn't really paid attention to the RPG aspects and it didn't phase me when it thrown at me either.

I have played the SMRPG game so but I did not once think the first PM would be like this, as I said just wanted to play a Mario game.

That is my first experience with the first PM, have bought it where it was available, which is only on VC so I officially own the game now.

I too was initially disappointed when SMRPG2 was no longer and out of its ashes rose this series. But I actually was intrigued by the concept anyway and still bought it on release. While it will never replace SMRPG in my heart, I still loved this franchise from the beginning.

That said, Nintendo really did show their more stubborn side from an administrative perspective ever since Sticker Star. They just refuse to listen to long-standing fans asking pretty specifically for RPG elements and more interesting unique characters (as in not generic Toads), opting instead for gimmicks and over-playing the paper to take front and center stage. At least they relented a bit on the “no plot” motto with Origami King, although it pales in comparison to TTYD and Super, of course. I hear Color Splash is okay but I was so scarred from Sticker Star that I admit I never played CS, so can’t comment on it.

Nonetheless I did enjoy OK despite its specific and clearly very deliberate design choices to be more in line with Sticker Star than the first two games. I’m not saying modern PM is necessarily bad, but I definitely miss the original direction.

I still remember early on when it was going by SMRPG2 but when the final game was revealed I was still pretty excited for it.  Can't remember if it was Nintendo Power or a European Nintendo mag I used to read called Total 64 but one issue had a huge spread on the game and that sold me on it.  Krazy and I put some time into that game too playing it together though I think he was the one who ultimately beat it.  Good times!  It's interesting to see just how much the Mario RPG formula has changed since the days of the original SNES game and still delivered unique experiences throughout.