Xbox Live now double in price! | UPDT: MS no longer changing price

I'm not sure how many people here have XBL Gold, but Microsoft has now raised the price from $60 a year to $120 a year...

This is extremely shitty of M$, especially since nothing seems to actually justify this price increase! We shouldn't have to pay to play games online on consoles anway (thanks MS), because on PC it's always been free, unless you're playing an MMO or something, I really hope MS reverses this decision after all the backlash, because I can see a lot of people dropping XBL after this. Also, I really hope this doesn't cause Sony and Nintendo to raise their price for online as well.

Still, it makes me wonder what's going to happen with F2P games on XB? Doubling the price of XBL and still requiring it to play F2P games would be really shitty of MS, especially since Sony and Nintendo don't require an online sub to play F2P games. If MS continues to require XBL to play F2P games online, I can see a lot of devs not even bothering to put their games on XB, since it's kind of of a big F.U. to those devs.  

Anway... At least MS is letting people who already have a XBLG membership renew at their current $60 a year pice, but for how long though?

Edited by alienboyva

It's no doubt to get more people to get the Game Pass which on its own is great, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Bad MS decisions have been reversed before after enough backlash & loss of support, so am hoping the same happens here (however unlikely), but still disappointing that it's comes to this when they were in good graces again for awhile. It also makes their Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition earlier feel even worse now in hindsight...

• alienboyva changed the title to Xbox Live now double in price! | UPDT: MS no longer changing price

This felt like them testing the waters, albeit a really weird way of doing so. I figured the price change wasn’t gonna stick though, but still maddening it was even proposed by someone over there to begin with. People aren’t gonna forget this too even as MS continues doing right like they otherwise had been. They’ll have shade thrown at them again for awhile because of January 22nd which could’ve been avoided.

Not that I fully trust any of the big 3 (them, Sony, Nintendo) like that anyway, but I’m glad the competition pretty much keeps each other in check. MS would’ve been laughed at by everyone else had they stayed the course with this, as their stock went further down, etc. They’d still have Windows for PC gaming and stuff, but their console brand would’ve been effectively dead by that move. 

• Chrom featured this topic