Ninfora Site Development - What's important to you?

Kodiack

Ninfora Satisfaction Questionnaire!  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with the selection of boards on Ninfora?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
  2. 2. How satisfied are you with the additional (non-forum) features on Ninfora?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
  3. 3. How satisfied are you with the (laid-back/hands-off) moderation style of Ninfora?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
  4. 4. How satisfied are you with Ninfora's look and feel (e.g. the overall theme/colors/skin)?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
  5. 5. How satisfied are you with site performance on Ninfora (e.g. how long it takes to load a page)?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
  6. 6. How satisfied are you with the mobile experience on Ninfora (e.g. when browsing on a smartphone/tablet)?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied
    • Not applicable

4 minutes ago, ace said:

And limiting what people can talk in general chat threads about makes it more active how...? 

Ok, backtracking...

So the base premise is that lack of civility and other behaviors are off-putting, and making the environment better in that regard would make the forum more appealing to new users.
Went through talking about how you can't ban users just because they're not nice.
Mild witch hunting ensued.
Basically ended up with users justifying their behavior.

And I said that I feel that behavior just comes with the terrain of certain topics.
So if the topics are going to be allowed, the behavior is just going to exist.

14 minutes ago, Zora said:

I haven't seen any outreach efforts yet that weren't just getting old members, so I don't know if we can say we tried. 

I have been putting off any outreach on my part until I know the community is ready and willing to receive them.
Otherwise I'll be wasting my time, and spoiling the opportunity.

I think there's a middle ground that should be reached and I think this place is darn close to it. We don't need to go to extremes in either direction. While I went my whole time on NS2 without ever getting even a warning from a mod, I can understand why some people wouldn't enjoy the heavy-handed nature of the moderation team during Shrimpkid's time. At the same time, I don't think we need to go to the other extreme and be a step short of /v/ (for all the reasons people have already discussed).

I think the major takeaway is that people need to remember to be respectful and civil in a discussion. I'm not saying that people can't be snarky or sarcastic or whatever is there personality and writing style, but that we should mind the line between taking the piss out of someone and being vicious. I have more interesting discussions with people I don't agree with if we check our egos at the door before we start than if we try to start trying to get into seeing who does the sickest burns. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with approaching someone with respect, regardless of their opinion. You get a better conversation out of it than throwing respect out.

10 minutes ago, ace said:

And limiting what people can talk in general chat threads about makes it more active how...? 

I wasn't arguing that? There's a lot of discourse that amounts too saying we should do things a certain way because, to use your words exactly, we're holdouts for NS2. I feel that isn't the set of mind we have--rather, we should consider how are actions will affect new members too rather than pretending they don't exist. 

Basically, I'm being pedantic about what you're using to justify your thesis, not arguing the thesis itself. 

I think that before we start trying to seriously grow the site we need to decide what kind of site we are.  I agree with @CHAINMAILLEKIDwhen he said:

"If you allow a community just become whatever the community makes of it by being too laid back and not disallowing anything, guess what happens?
You get a feedback loop. The sort of behavior that most people don't like causes people to leave. As more people leave, what you're left with is more and more people who are unlikeable, unpleasant, and unperson-able. And those are the people who end up making the community whatever it is they want it to be."

The only rule I would really suggest at this point is one against blatant personal attacks and harrassment of other users without any other intent.  Beyond that we need to decide how we want to conduct ourselves, what is most important to the userbase, and what our goals are as a community.  Then we can come up with ways to produce an environment that helps us to achieve that ideal.

3 hours ago, Yuki said:

Here's a dirty little secret: just because you vomit out a shit ton of words doesn't make what you have to say well thought out.

Granted, but the verbosity and word count are not what I was zoning in on. I genuinely think both @Iridium and @Mao make some fair points, concise or not. I may not be the wisest man here, but I do have a bit of integrity.

I do agree with you regarding the vain attempts to stop or relocate controversy, though. Regardless of the general chat thread's purpose as a shitpost platform, it is not some sacred holy ground for it. That shit was too important to be diluted.

Also, what the hell is Etoh? I keep hearing that term thrown around, and I am positive I'm missing something.

I don't see a point in developing the community, to be perfectly blunt.   A few factors take precedence here:

-NS2's success as a forum came off of the heat death of the official Nintendo forums during a time where forums were still popular places to socialize with people who have common interests.

-A larger company could at best slow the inevitable erosion of that initial userbase with a few hiccups of growth or activity depending on annual events, but was otherwise stagnating.

Ninfora's existence is an off-shoot of NS2's last sputtering and gasping wheezes where it had an active userbase of a couple dozen people left, maybe in the low hundreds if I'm being extremely generous.  There's always that new forum smell and the occasional substantial announcement by Nintendo to ride that new wave of people showing up, but real talk: you're probably not going to see substantial growth.  Possibly no growth at all.  A few stragglers will show up and a few might stick around, but it probably won't happen.

Now that's not bad.  It isn't.  That doesn't mean the community is dying or at a threat of dying.  This place honestly exists because it's a refugee for NS2 members who have been around an extremely long time and will probably continue to do so afterwards.  The forum is already a success in that regard.  Do you really care that your forum will be more or less than that?  Be content that there's a community to interact with, regardless of the size. 

There's always been cliques in the community that won't get along each other, combative or inflammatory discussion wasn't out of place a decade ago and it isn't now.  It doesn't mean there are fissures in the community.  Honestly, and I acknowledge this as a personal shortcoming as well: chat thread posters are terrible about this.  There are cliques and social groups and antagonistic relationships outside of that small bubble.  Everything outside of it isn't an immediate threat to the wellness of the userbase or those bollocks.  That's cynical gloom speaking. There are assholes you won't get along with that are not in your circle of friends, it's normal.  I can think people like Iridium or Zora are fucking tossers, but I'd never tell them that it's not their community or that they don't belong here, it's not my place and it's not fair to them.

I'm content with how things are here.  People can take the piss out of each other if it doesn't cross any serious boundaries, the moderation is lax, and there's a simmering level of activity that is acceptable.  It's fine if a some discussions are dead and it's fine if tangents occur that stimulate it.  The spontaneity should be welcomed.  It's nice to fantasize about more, but it doesn't need it.  It's cozy here and people like bickering and having assertive discussions and arguments. y;

Honestly, Nsider 2 was a great big collection of cliques. Unless you were like me and made several boards fear you, there really wasn't a sense of a greater community in most cases.

I 100% agree with Deo.

1 hour ago, strawberrykeiki said:

The only rule I would really suggest at this point is one against blatant personal attacks and harrassment of other users without any other intent.  

The problem here is that you're going to end up with people seeing every disagreement as a personal attack. Especially if it's from someone they don't like.

Just take everything on a case by case basis. There's no need to write down "don't be an asshole" in the rule book.

I'm new here, and there's at least one other person who occasionally hangs out here that's new that joined at my recommendation.

As a new person, I've kind of been staying out of these "legacy" sorts of threads, since I obviously don't know the history and don't really feel it's my place to butt in.

But speaking purely from a newbie/outsider perspective, I really like what Ninfora is doing and I think it's a great community. It's open, active, friendly, and not mired down in bullshit. While I have a hard time pulling away from my lurker tendencies, I do enjoy my time here quite a lot. It's a breath of fresh air.

4 minutes ago, Lissa said:

I'm new here, and there's at least one other person who occasionally hangs out here that's new that joined at my recommendation.

As a new person, I've kind of been staying out of these "legacy" sorts of threads, since I obviously don't know the history and don't really feel it's my place to butt in.

But speaking purely from a newbie/outsider perspective, I really like what Ninfora is doing and I think it's a great community. It's open, active, friendly, and not mired down in bullshit. While I have a hard time pulling away from my lurker tendencies, I do enjoy my time here quite a lot. It's a breath of fresh air.

When you observe people long enough, you'll get comfortable enough to start talking.  It's fine. y;

1 hour ago, Lissa said:

Even as a person who's been part of the community since 2003 I sometimes just sit back and read things. I do find that this is overall a friendly community. That hasn't always been the case. Less boards also help you to get to know others more since you see them more often.

Sometime just want to live in the past or they like to complain. You also have people that are generally negative and argumentative. Such is life. I'm happy to see a nice new person around though. It's refreshing. ^_^

Just now, Shulk said:

Less boards also help you to get to know others more since you see them more often.

Y'know, I think you've just given me a point to properly articulate:

Would it be a stretch to say that this is true during the initial stages of a community, but becomes less necessary as it grows? Most everybody here already know each other; I feel like a couple of franchise boards aren't going to change that.

Just now, Schmengland said:

Y'know, I think you've just given me a point to properly articulate:

Would it be a stretch to say that this is true during the initial stages of a community, but becomes less necessary as it grows? Most everybody here already know each other; I feel like a couple of franchise boards aren't going to change that.

It's kind of funny because we do kind of know each other, but in the past with the franchise boards everyone kind of stuck to just a couple boards and cliques became common place.  With a more condensed index users get seen more and perhaps something someone normally wouldn't comment on they take a look at because it's there. 

Of course when a board becomes over run by threads on the same game/franchise, that can become annoying to those who have no interest. If there is enough discussion to warrant it, then a new board would probably be best for the community.

Basically it seems best to see how things go and make changes on an as needed basis.