Celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon!

hAFQD5F.png

Site: https://25.pokemon.com/en-us

AALdqcW.png

BELLEVUE, Wash. – January 13, 2021 – The Pokémon Company International officially launches celebrations today for Pokémon’s landmark 25th anniversary. As an iconic video game and entertainment franchise beloved by millions of fans of all ages around the world, Pokémon has been bringing people together since its launch in 1996. In 2021, Pokémon will continue that tradition by aligning with another universal unifying force — music. Headlined by pop icon Katy Perry, the star-studded program created in partnership with Universal Music Group (UMG), the world leader in music-based entertainment, accompanies fan-focused activations celebrating 25 years of Pokémon across the franchise’s portfolio of video games, mobile apps, animation, merchandise and more. To help fans kick off this celebration, a live-action video, uniquely highlighting moments in the brand’s 25-year history and a journey through the Pokémon world’s many regions, can be viewed beginning today on the official Pokémon YouTube channel here.

Global Music Celebration: P25 Music
Every party needs a great playlist. To celebrate 25 years, The Pokémon Company International is teaming up with UMG through their brands strategies division, Universal Music Group for Brands, to make 2021 the biggest Pokémon party in history — and everyone is invited. Pokémon is working with some of the biggest names in music, from rising artists to award-winning global superstars, for the program, titled P25 Music. Pop icon Katy Perry was revealed today as a premier collaborator in the massive, yearlong music campaign.

“Pokémon has been a constant in my life from playing the original video games on my Game Boy, to trading Pokémon TCG cards at lunch, to the adventures of catching Pokémon on the street with Pokémon GO. I’ve even visited the Pokémon Café in Japan while on tour! It is an honor to be chosen to help celebrate a franchise that has given me so much joy in the last 25 years, and to be able to watch it evolve in the ways it’s provided that kind of electric joy for the kids in my life and around the world,” said Katy Perry.

“In Katy Perry, we see a kindred spirit to Pokémon, whose world is bright, fun and uplifting,” said Colin Palmer, vice president of marketing at The Pokémon Company International. “Katy is a wonderful ambassador to help us celebrate 25 years of Pokémon, and we can’t wait for music fans everywhere to experience the exciting collaborations we have planned.”

“We are honored to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Pokémon and the significant cultural impact this beloved franchise continues to have around the world. Working together, we have developed dynamic year-round programming involving artists from across UMG’s labels — because what better way to create a global celebration than through the power of music,” said LJ Gutierrez, General Manager, UMGB.

Details about Katy Perry’s participation, additional artist surprises and more about the P25 Music program will be announced throughout the year.

25 Years of Adventures: A Journey Through the Pokémon World
Since the first video games launched in 1996, the franchise has explored a new region in the Pokémon world with the introduction of each core series game. In 2021, The Pokémon Company International will invite fans to relive their journeys through each of these regions in a yearlong program, beginning with the most recently discovered Galar region from Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield and ending with the classic Kanto region from the original Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue games. Beginning today, fans can visit a new website that will serve as the hub for this and all fan celebration activities as they are announced throughout the year, located here: https://25.pokemon.com/en-us

Anniversary Partners: Celebratory Programs and Merchandise
Pokémon adventures are always better with friends, so The Pokémon Company International is teaming up with other iconic brands to help fans celebrate the journey throughout the year with unique promotions and merchandise. Collaborations in the brand’s 25th anniversary year include programs from Build-A-Bear Workshop®, Levi’s, McDonald’s and more. Fans can also look forward to even more special merchandise tied to the anniversary celebrations from licensees including Jazwares, Scholastic, Mattel, Funko, Power A and The Wand Company. Additional partners and the ways they will celebrate the anniversary will be announced throughout the year.

Special Collections: The Pokémon Trading Card Game
The Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) is a cornerstone of the brand, and fans can look forward to special 25th anniversary-themed collections of the Pokémon TCG later in 2021. In the meantime, fans will soon be able to collect oversize cards featuring Pikachu and beloved first partner Pokémon from the various regions featured in the franchise-spanning retrospective.

More Celebrations Across the World of Pokémon
The details revealed today are a glimpse into what the world can expect from Pokémon in 2021. With 25th anniversary-related activations planned for Pokémon animation, Pokémon video games, mobile games including Pokémon GO and Pokémon Masters EX, and more big announcements from the franchise, fans have a year full of new journeys ahead.

jiLlkH1.png

Edited by alienboyva

Hard to believe it's already been 25 years. It seems like not long ago PKMN was celebrating it's 20th anniversary and had that awesome Super Bowl ad. Hopefully we get some really cool stuff out of this, like the classic games coming to Switch. 

...But yeah... I'll never forget my first experience with Pokémon...

Spoiler

*taken from an old post on NS2 during PKMN's 20th...

image.png.0d8ba350b05ec2ca62d21aeb3bd1a394.png

Edited by alienboyva

Oh don't forget the expansion pass where they put in all of the Poke'mon they lied they couldn't fit into the base game! 

That aside...  

Good old memories...  

I remember when I was a kid I went to this lake in the woods with my family and we rented an RV I think. A couple of my old friends were there too. What was special was a specific memory of me going to the nearby restroom with my mother. Poke'mon Red was the first game I owned, and I got the Game Boy Color, I think. The place I was in the game? Viridian Forest. 

Although I might not be into the current generation as the last seven, Poke'mon Red is one of the childhood memories I'll never forget, alongside Link's Awakening. 

I still have those old Pokemon Power magazines.  They're a bit ratty now but I still remember wondering this whole Pokemon thing was about considering Nintendo Power was putting so much emphasis on it for months on end.  I think it was after they sent us a VHS tape that had a bunch of info and episode 1 of the cartoon that I (and probably Krazy) got sucked into it.

And to this day, Blastoise is the best!

By the by, I'm curious if the new 25th Ann. TCGs will increase fervor over the original Wizards of the Coast cards?  Still got a ton of those in great condition that I'm looking to finally sell.

Since we're all going down memory lane... (and I am sure we did this 20th anniversary thread and any Pokememory lane thread involving Pokemon)

My first Pokemon game was in Gen 2 with Pokemon Gold. I played the gen 1 Blue thanks to my cousin but I never owned the game so I don't count that experience as my own. Plus I don't have that much fondness for Gen 1 like I do for Gen 2 since it was all of mine own. I owned in total 2 GB, I do remember which one I played Gold on... should be easy one to remember which GB, it's either the LCD black and while not the the greenish tint on screen or straight up GBC. I forgot the name of it but it was neon green on., had that thing years.

Hmm, still can't remember which it on, I wanna say it was on the GBC but I feel that I played a few hours on black color thin model GB with the black and LCD so that is why I can't remember which one. Man lot of memories staying up late training Pokemon and taking on gyms in Johto. Some reason I don't remember how I felt when I was in Kanto again. As I said I played gen 1 but I am more fond of Gen 2 so it to me was a cool bonus that the gen 1 world was in Gen 2 too. That's how I must of felt. Love the Ice Cavern to the last gym, the whirl island caves and surfing to Cianwood City Some few cites Ecurteak city, Olivine and Goldenrod City. Oh yeah the Pokemon catching contest in National Park.

Lots of fond memories of Gen 2.

Wow can't believe it's been that long, especially considering it's been a powerhouse of the video game world that entire time. I'm sure I've told this story here before but I still remember how Pokémon became such a phenomenon that it was pretty much the first time I'd ever seen kids talking about video games at school. I've been playing video games my whole life thanks to older siblings and cousins, but seeing peers at school huddled around during recess to trade Pokémon and Pokémon cards was something else.

Also, Squirtle Squad for life over here.

• 4 weeks later...

That Pikachu Happy Meal box! ^_^ <3

Good luck to anybody trying to get any of these special packs. Scalpers are flooding Mickey D's right when they open so they can sell them online for $100+. I'd love to get at least one pack, but it looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth. Scalpers always have to ruin things for the fans. -_-'

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon! | 🎶 Virtural PKMN Concert: 2/27 @ 7pm ET

TPC has announced a FREE virtual PKMN concert that will take place on Feb. 27th (Pokémon Day) @ 7pm ET. Plus, there will be other announcements during the week of Pokémon Day...

GocYxYA.jpgPokémon unveiled plans today for a virtual music concert celebrating its 25th anniversary. The pop-culture brand broke the news with help from headliner and Pokémon fan Post Malone in a video that can be seen here: https://youtu.be/wtQx4R2M2iw/.

Taking place on Saturday, February 27 – better known as Pokémon Day – the event will be an online party not just for Pokémon fans but for all music fans around the world. It will also serve as the launch activation for the franchise’s yearlong P25 Music program. The Pokémon Company International has teamed up with Universal Music Group to bring this concert and more music surprises to life throughout 2021 as part of P25 Music. P25 Music is a collaboration with some of music’s biggest names to create new songs, styles, and pop-culture moments, all through the lens of Pokémon. Pop icon Katy Perry was announced last month as the program’s premier artist.

“I’ve been a Pokémon fan for a long time, so the opportunity to headline the Pokémon Day concert celebrating 25 years is awesome,” said Post Malone.

The concert will be free to view on the official Pokémon YouTube channel, Pokémon’s official Twitch channel, and on Pokémon’s 25th anniversary website beginning at 7:00 p.m. EST / 4:00 p.m. PST on February 27. Pokémon will unveil more P25 Music details at the end of the concert, so fans will want to tune in for more upcoming collaboration surprises.

In anticipation of the concert, The Pokémon Company International will host several celebratory activations across the brand in the week leading up to the virtual music event. In addition to the previously announced Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event on Saturday, February 20, The Pokémon Company International will distribute a special password on February 25 for players of the Pokémon video game franchise to add a special Pikachu to their Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games. In keeping with the music theme for the year, this Pikachu knows the move Sing, which it can’t ordinarily learn. On February 27, fans can tune in to Pokémon TV, either on the web or by downloading the app, for a curated selection of music-themed episodes of the popular Pokémon animated series as they prepare for the big Pokémon Day concert with Post Malone in the evening. Fans can expect more announcements that week from across the franchise.

PR Link:  https://gonintendo.com/stories/376813-the-pokemon-company-announces-a-virtual-concert-featuring-post-ma

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon! | 🎶Virtual PKMN Concert: 2/27 @ 7pm ET
2 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

I know he’s popular these days but I don’t think I have ever heard any of his songs before. Should probably see if I can even stand him before thinking about attending a concert, but that’s pretty neat.

Would be nice if they put some of this marketing budget of theirs into building better games, but I guess that’s beating a dead horse now...

Seconded on putting the budget towards making better games.

It's nice about the concert too, but I couldn't care less about Post Malone. hidingkong;

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what it’s from, but I’ve been nostalgic and itching to replay Blue (since it was the first Pokémon game I ever owned) - might get that off the Eshop... (granted, i could always get Yellow at some point...)

Thinking about it, I can’t remember if I actually ever beat the game or not back then when i was younger - I might’ve, though... 🤔

I thought i had it with me, and swore it was one of the games I brought with me... i guess i was mistaken on that - so right now I can’t confirm whether i beat it or not

But yesterday I found out apparently there’s a glitch in both Gen 1 and 2 where you can get all 3 starters... that’s a glitch I’ve never heard of before - looks tricky to pull off though it could be useful if i can pull it off since I can’t trade

Speaking of Gen 2, bought Crystal off the Eshop last month - might revisit that and replay that soon

Been awhile since I’ve played that too... really loved that Generation and some of the stuff that was in it that I wished they’d bring back in a game... though I doubt that will happen

I’d play my original GBC game, but im pretty sure the battery in that is dead, so out of luck for that (not that i have it with me) 

And although i could restart HeartGold, I don’t have another 3DS to trade the remaining Pokémon over to another game right now, so put of luck on that

Edited by Shadow118