Celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon!

Happy 25th PKMN!!! \(^o^)/

Remember when your parents thought it was just a fad?

I remember when PKMN first hit the U.S. and adults being like "What the heck is this Pokéman thing?" (Yes! My Mom still calls it that sometimes XD) and not getting why kids were so obsessed with it. I'll never forget it making the cover of TIME magazine because of this.

HPtqUKI.png

Pretty sure there's still a box of Pokémon toys tucked away in my parents' house somewhere! Must've been easy to buy gifts for kids back then, just get something Pokémon related and they'll love it. In fact I remember all of the good behavior rewards in school were Pokémon themed for a while—stuff like pencils, erasers, folders, etc.

One of my favorite moments during the initial Pokemon craze is how quickly it swept through my middle school.  My mom/dad would always drop me off to school a bit earlier so I would spend time in the band room hanging with friends since I would see them later in the day anyway for band class.  But those early mornings eventually became like a breakout session for everyone playing Pokemon.  Gameboys and link cables for trading/battling were all over.  At one point the school tried to ban bringing them to school and would confiscate them til end of day, but eventually it seemed like no one was really enforcing it because so many were continuing to do so anyway.

I was one of those born in 1991 so was able to get into Pokémon early when it came out, i think - faintly remember getting Pokémon Blue for Christmas... not sure if also got a GameBoy as well, or if i already had that before, tbh

Though I don’t think I’ve watched every single episode of the Anime, I think I’ve watched episodes here and there over the years until recently when I started the Alola & Journeys (on hold) anime

I don’t have my original GameBoy or GB Color though, unfortunately - still have my original Blue (i think?), Gold, and Crystal cartridges at least - though I don’t think the batteries are working in a couple of them

Still have some of my other original games and consoles/handhelds at least- really enjoyed the N64 Pokémon Stadium 1/2 & transfer pack connector at the time - played some of the other spinoffs, but most were rentals like Hey You Pikachu! and Pokémon Snap (though i did buy Snap off the Wii Eshop years ago)

So far with a few exceptions of getting two games in a generation, i own at least one game from each generation... though I don’t remember how many of them pre- Gen 4 ive beaten.. and not to to mention never competing the Pokédex 100% in any of those games either until X considering i had hel completing the Kalos Dex

Almost done with the Shield dex, just missing Zacian w/ Rusted Sword 🗡 (excluding DLC since I don’t have that yet)

Though I’m quite fond of Gen 2 features in Gold/Crystal with the Day/Night cycle,Headbutt trees,Pokégear, ect... really wish they’d bring stuff like that back at some point in a future game (or properly bring them back?)

Also reminds me of some other features in games that haven’t been brought back that would be nice to have again in future game(s) (Weather/Seasons,Triple Battles,Rotation Battles,Megas/Z-Moves,Pokémon following/Ride Pokémon..Pokégear Phone.. am I forgetting anything? I feel like I am...)

Also had a selection of merch here and there growing up... most of them were sold, and I’m not sure the fate about some of them myself tbh, even though I sort of remember some of them - wish i kept and retrieved some stuff at some point... oh well, i guess

_______

Well, i still have all the Generation OG 1 &2 cards i bought or obtained at least - never invested in anything Gen 3 and beyond when for various reasons..

I’m unsure, but i think the only notable ones i have would be a Porygon (?) that came with  Pokémon Stadium 1 and a Spanish (i think it’s Spanish at least?) Nidoqueen that... well, I’m not sure how I obtained that, actually -  not sure if there’s any else noteworthy offhand 

Not that some of them are in the best condition, anyway - considering they’ve been stored in plastic baggies all these years, I wouldn’t be surprised at that - probably should get a few card binders for better storage at some point, never really crossed my mind until now

Also that one part of the 25 years reminded me that the Dream World was a thing - wish i had used it more often when it was still around - i took a liking to that site when it was around 

Looked at my PC boxes in Ultra Moon and i was able to get a good amount of HAs from it too..... unfortunately about half are male, though (going to have to triple check, but at least im pretty sure all of them are HAs, anyway)

So I don’t think those are too useful for Shiny HA Breedng unless they changed that in S&M era

And reminds me im going to have to figure out how to obtain Female ones with the HAs at some point....

• alienboyva changed the title to Celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon!

I got one of these packs of PKMN cards that are being put in General Mills cereal boxes for PKMN's 25th...

IDK if that Galarian Ponyta is available in regular packs, but if not, TPC is just fueling scalpers here. Plus, they already know they currently have an issue with scalpers and PKMN cards, since they had to issue an apology to fans for the of lack stock of the TGC. 

Edited by alienboyva

I thought this analysis was well put together not because of how long it took...well part because how he took all the scenes from the trailer and numbered them. In the end made it easier to say where each scene took place from each other.

So that was great and worth the watch.

Edited by DLurkster