Video Games Finished in 2021

Bloodborne (NG+) -  It took a while, but I finally finished my second run of one of my all-time favorite games. Eventually I'll have all three endings under my belt. I finished the Old Hunters DLC as well, and it added so much. I discovered new favorite weapons in the Whirligig Saw and Gatling Gun, and there's more lore and game in the DLC than there are in most full games. I really should check out the other Souls games. 

On 1/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, purple_beard said:

2/17 Super Mario 3D World of SMW3DW+BF/Switch

I did like SM3DW a lot on WiiU and I found the Switch version as good but man this game frustrates me to no end with forced perspectives, bad depth perception, and just deaths that are way to easy to be had.  Currently working on the BF part to this game.  I thought the Cat Mario power up was one of the better power ups they have come up with with its climbing and dive bombing abilities.

- Spider-Man: The City that Never Sleeps (PS4)

This is the DLC for 2018's Spider-Man; I'm counting it for now but if there's any issue I can just as easily remove it. I was on a Spider-Man kick after Miles Morales and this DLC was on sale, so why not. The side content was a bit bland but I liked the story missions, and just having more Spidey to play was good enough for me.

- Lair of the Clockwork God (Switch)
Wanted to like this more than I did. The humor is mostly on point but the gameplay was a bit rough at times, especially the platforming.

- Mad Rat Dead (Switch)
When you're in tune with a rhythm game, it's great. When things are even a little off, it feels incredibly frustrating. Still, this one has more highs than lows.

- Blue Fire (Switch)
A pretty ambitious indie game that can't quite live up to the level of polish that Zelda or Mario games enjoy. Overall still fun though.

- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch)
Really enjoyed Bowser's Fury. Felt like a nice little mini Mario adventure, or like one really long kingdom in Odyssey. 3D World is still great too—I was surprised by how much I actually remembered about the game.

Beat Bioshock 1 off the Bioshock Collection on Switch.  Never played any of these games and let me say this, wow that was a total mind fuck of a story lol.  I felt like as an FPS it was ok.  I have played far better FPS games in my life but it does have a neat art direction and a pretty good story.  So that is game #4 down.

O: 4

C: 4

Game #5 down with Bioshock Infinite off the Bioshock collection. Was a pretty good shooter and had a great story. Definitely a mind fuck but once you process and understand what happens in the game, it makes a lot of sense and makes the game even better. Starting on Bravely Default II tonight. 

O:5

C:5 

- Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Great sandbox adventure, though I can't say the story ever really gripped me. I was just never that invested in the characters. The presentation is fantastic though and the gameplay is well designed.

- The Beginner's Guide (PC)
Can't say I enjoyed this as much as The Stanley Parable. The premise isn't bad but the way it's presented is a bit too on the nose, and somehow this 90 minute game ends up feeling like it drags.

- Concrete Genie (PS4)
Cute concept but ultimately the gameplay is a little too basic. I think I wanted/expected something a little more like de Blob meets Jet Set Radio, not a game of very basic paint-based puzzles and repetitive combat mechanics. The presentation is pretty neat though.

- Firewatch (PC)
As far as story driven games go, pretty solid. The characters do a good job of pulling you in—their idle banter might be the best part of the game.

- Kill It With Fire (Switch)
Funny premise but I would've liked to see it actually develop over the course of the game—this just feels like the same thing over and over for two or three hours, and the charm runs thin.

Console: 17

PC: 3

Overall: 20

On 1/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, purple_beard said:

3/1 BF @ 100 of SM3DW+BF

The 51-100 Cat Shine acquisition 2nd half of BF was a very interesting beast from the first half.  Bowser appeared more, longer, and more destructive.  The Cat Shine quests got harder/more involved.  I kind of liked the increased difficulty and enjoyed going for 100.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:20 AM, blcdude1 said:

I'll have to do a update of everything later, but in the meantime, February's challenge game! 

Hide contents

guEZ9Dg.png

Probably not a major surprise (especially given I skipped over Mario earlier in the month). It's Bravely Default II!  

Also, as of this edit, that Google Doc should be up to date! 

Does BD2 count if you beat it in March?  I know BD2 didn't come out until the end of the month.  Was just wondering because I am still working on mine and I got mine in the evening of the 26th.  I was also wanting some clarification on how streaming apps work like PS Now, Xbox Game Pass, and the Switch NES and SNES Apps?  

Edited by Irondog666
21 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

Does BD2 count if you beat it in March?  I know BD2 didn't come out until the end of the month.  Was just wondering because I am still working on mine and I got mine in the evening of the 26th.  I was also wanting some clarification on how streaming apps work like PS Now, Xbox Game Pass, and the Switch NES and SNES Apps?  

Yes. I just pick one title each month, but they can be beaten any time during the year. BDII could be beaten in March, in June, in December, and it still counts. 

As for those streaming apps, all those game count. Using Switch NES and SNES apps as an example, I beat a few of those last year, and counted them on my list as Switch games. I’d count them as games for whatever console you’re playing them on. 

Edited by blcdude1
On 3/5/2021 at 4:30 PM, blcdude1 said:

Yes. I just pick one title each month, but they can be beaten any time during the year. BDII could be beaten in March, in June, in December, and it still counts. 

As for those streaming apps, all those game count. Using Switch NES and SNES apps as an example, I beat a few of those last year, and counted them on my list as Switch games. I’d count them as games for whatever console you’re playing them on. 

Cool, I figured that was the case but wasn’t entirely sure.  I know I beat a few last year too that way, but they were all games that I had physical copies of or had on either the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console.  I am mostly going to be focusing on my backlog of games I actually own.  Here is another crazy question that just popped in my head.  What about games within games?  I discovered the cool Wolfenstein 3D game within Wolfenstein II the other day ago called “Wolfstone” where you are a Nazi trying to take down “terror billy” and thinking about playing through that once I beat the main game.  It is the alternate reality version but it is the full game just modified.  

5 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

How long is the main game compared to the new content? 

What changes are there from the main and new? 

Since BF is a new story, that checks off that criteria. 

That's usually how we determine newer content added. But, since this is a first because it was advertised with the game, I don't know how to proceed from here. 

Main game was like 7 worlds with 3 bonus post-game worlds.

BF took like 10 hours?

When it comes to what counts and what doesn't, we've accepted demos before, we've counted epilogues before (Future Connected in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definite Edition), we've counted different routes within the same game (Fire Emblem: Three Houses), and I have no issue counting a game within a game (within reason) or something like Bowser's Fury as its own thing. 

This is, in my opinion, about your backlog. If it's a game you're playing that you're looking to finish, I'd willing to count it. I tend to be lenient when it comes to counting out. 

As an aside regarding Bowser's Fury, I'm fine with it being recorded as its own individual beat or as a bundle with 3D World. Whatever makes your list easier to manage for you.