Route '21 - N4A Chat Thread - January 2021

Pichi

5 hours ago, winterberry said:

F in chat for pogchamp please

yeah i'm a bit torn, especially since gootecks has been known garbage for ages now so it kinda feels performative

but it's also a reasonable move lol

that's only for -us words as far as i know. actually i can't even think of any example other than octopus. "genus" for example is genera or genuses
it's really an abomination and you should just treat them like normal plural words, because that's also acceptable anyway

2 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

As a person with Autism, I’m somewhat offended. Of course I know there is a lot that doesn’t work, but there is a lot of media that never ages well.

By the comment or by the show?

Also, it's a pretty recent show... I don't think it's earned a "doesn't age well" for much of anything yet.

1 minute ago, EH_STEVE said:

By the comment or by the show?

Also, it's a pretty recent show... I don't think it's earned a "doesn't age well" for much of anything yet.

By the comment. That’s like saying I like the show because I’m stupid. Autism I feel like is the worst excuse for calling people that. Plus, there’s a wide spectrum of Autistic people who have different mental capacities. Maybe I enjoy the show because of how corny it is. But I do watch other shows too. 

Of course I don’t mean now. Things in this world always change. 

9 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

By the comment. That’s like saying I like the show because I’m stupid. Autism I feel like is the worst excuse for calling people that. Plus, there’s a wide spectrum of Autistic people who have different mental capacities. Maybe I enjoy the show because of how corny it is. But I do watch other shows too. 

Of course I don’t mean now. Things in this world always change. 

Yeah as non-medically professional as they may be, I've done dozens of online test that suggest I'm on the spectrum. It's not something that can really be easily or accurately portrayed for everyone.

I felt the comment was more like "this is what autism is" when it really, really isn't in almost all cases. But that somehow it made them feel "woke" when really it was more like making fun of something without teaching about.

35 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

As a person with Autism, I’m somewhat offended. Of course I know there is a lot that doesn’t work, but there is a lot of media that never ages well.

the implication is that the actors were wearing masks of untrue, harmful autism stereotypes for the sake of comedy

i agree with the sentiment although i'm hesitant to readily compare it to something as heinous as what blackface was

I found the show funny usually but really thought they overplayed Sheldon’s stereotypes. Young Sheldon appears to do the same thing, naturally, and that’s still on. I don’t personally have strong feelings either way about if he is autistic and if so, if his portrayal is particularly problematic. Mostly I just remind myself that it’s a tv show and they’re going to take liberties whether I like them all or not.

I don’t think it’s the same as blackface. At all. That’s harmful not only because it’s stereotyping, it perpetuates specific and invented stereotypes that by design are trying to dehumanize a certain population. Big problem, obviously. Love him or hate him, Sheldon is not doing that to autistic people. So I feel more inclined to just let it be.

53 minutes ago, Pichi said:

the implication is that the actors were wearing masks of untrue, harmful autism stereotypes for the sake of comedy

Yeah, that's what I was going for.

Wasn't trying to be offensive; it was just the best comparison that I could come up with for why that show is offensive to me.

I'm a medically-diagnosed aspie, btw.

24 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

I don’t think it’s the same as blackface. At all. That’s harmful not only because it’s stereotyping, it perpetuates specific and invented stereotypes that by design are trying to dehumanize a certain population. Big problem, obviously. 

Absolutely

• Chrom locked this topic
  • Chrom unpinned this topic