Route '21 - N4A Chat Thread - January 2021

April

>take first Uber to computer store to get 4-terabyte external hard drive fixed
>leave the hard drive with the guy while I go get a Subway and a doughnut nearby
>come back an hour later; the guy says that he’s having trouble running First Aid on it, and that he’ll call me back when he finds anything out
>take second Uber home
>two hours later
>receive phone call from the guy; he apparently needs my MacBook to finish running First Aid
>take third Uber back to the computer store, with my MacBook in tow
>sit in the store for about half an hour while the guy does his thing
>guy says that my files are safe, but something’s physically wrong with the external drive
>offers to store my files on his drive; but can’t because there’s over 2 terabytes of files on mine
>computer store closes fifteen minutes later
>the guy suggests I leave my MacBook with him overnight and to pickup a brand-new external hard drive that’s at least 2 terabytes from Fry’s
>I thank him and take fourth Uber to Fry’s
>turns out that Fry’s was only a block and a half away from the computer store; I just didn’t notice because I’m a fucking dumbass
>thank the Uber driver anyway and get out of the car
>ask the lady at Fry’s if they have any external hard drives
>they’re all sold out
>go to BestBuy website on my phone (whose battery is now at 30%) to buy a 5-terabyte external hard drive for about $100 bucks for in-store pickup
>take fifth Uber from Fry’s to BestBuy
>pickup my new hard drive and leave
>take sixth Uber home
>make it home with my phone’s battery at 11%
>and on top of all that, I have to bring my new external hard drive back to the computer store tomorrow so the guy can finish backing up my files

FUCKING GAMESTOP

On 1/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Tyranogre said:

>take first Uber to computer store to get 4-terabyte external hard drive fixed
>leave the hard drive with the guy while I go get a Subway and a doughnut nearby
>come back an hour later; the guy says that he’s having trouble running First Aid on it, and that he’ll call me back when he finds anything out
>take second Uber home
>two hours later
>receive phone call from the guy; he apparently needs my MacBook to finish running First Aid
>take third Uber back to the computer store, with my MacBook in tow
>sit in the store for about half an hour while the guy does his thing
>guy says that my files are safe, but something’s physically wrong with the external drive
>offers to store my files on his drive; but can’t because there’s over 2 terabytes of files on mine
>computer store closes fifteen minutes later
>the guy suggests I leave my MacBook with him overnight and to pickup a brand-new external hard drive that’s at least 2 terabytes from Fry’s
>I thank him and take fourth Uber to Fry’s
>turns out that Fry’s was only a block and a half away from the computer store; I just didn’t notice because I’m a fucking dumbass
>thank the Uber driver anyway and get out of the car
>ask the lady at Fry’s if they have any external hard drives
>they’re all sold out
>go to BestBuy website on my phone (whose battery is now at 30%) to buy a 5-terabyte external hard drive for about $100 bucks for in-store pickup
>take fifth Uber from Fry’s to BestBuy
>pickup my new hard drive and leave
>take sixth Uber home
>make it home with my phone’s battery at 11%
>and on top of all that, I have to bring my new external hard drive back to the computer store tomorrow so the guy can finish backing up my files

FUCKING GAMESTOP

UPDATE:

>leave brand new 5-terabyte external hard drive with the guy on my home from work on Monday, half an hour before the store closes

>he begins transferring my files; tells me to come back the next day

>come back yesterday, approximately 22 hours later

>files are less than a percent finished transferring

>the guy has no idea how long it will take to transfer them all

>give him my number and tell him to call me back once they're done

It feels exactly like leaving your dog at the vet to undergo a complicated surgery.

Just now, EH_STEVE said:

That's still soooooo much

A lot of it has to do with my paranoia that the doujins that I don't download will disappear forever due to the websites that host them getting shut down. A year and a half ago there was this big scare that Sad Panda would get taken down due to changing laws regarding lolicon in the country where the servers were hosted. If the site owner hadn't managed to move the servers to Moldova, we would've lost the equivalent amount of data that it takes to run the International Space Station for ten years.