Route '21 - N4A Chat Thread - January 2021

April

16 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Yeah, that's what I was going for.

Wasn't trying to be offensive; it was just the best comparison that I could come up with for why that show is offensive to me.

I'm a medically-diagnosed aspie, btw.

I get it (I am an aspie too and social stuff has always been very hard for me), and understand what you were going for, but I would still suggest trying to be more careful. There are serious implications with comparing those two things. There’s obviously very good reason for people to get specifically upset about the one over the other...

2 hours ago, Pichi said:

the implication is that the actors were wearing masks of untrue, harmful autism stereotypes for the sake of comedy

i agree with the sentiment although i'm hesitant to readily compare it to something as heinous as what blackface was

I see. I guess I took your post out of context. Although I think differently, I can see where that is coming from. I’m somewhat of a socially awkward person myself, so I related a little more to the characters. I enjoyed the performance rather than the drama behind the scenes. So even though I never saw it as foul play and personally didn’t find the characters too insulting, I guess other people in my spectrum can. Representation with the mentally disabled is really slippery. Comedy is subjective. 

... Although I know in real life no one would ever act like Sheldon or Raj at times. And there are definitely some cringe moments. Comedy is really ugly at times.  

Yeah, Sheldon is a bit of a problem. He means well the times he tries to comfort people, but can come off as really arrogant or such. The show only works because there are other people to play off him. And he does act both mature and immature at times when he can.  

A similar character in my head is Adrian Monk, but I feel Monk is a lot more sympathetic, because he has better character moments.

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Also, it's a pretty recent show... I don't think it's earned a "doesn't age well" for much of anything yet.

Though it only recently concluded, the show did debut in 2007. 

To put that in perspective, it predates Groupon, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Team Fortress 2 and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, to name a few things. 

1 hour ago, Zora no Kiseki said:

"I'll watch Fruits Basket (2019) because Hatsuu liked it"

Okay so it's an otome game taken anime form with transforming zodiac animals. Uhhh... Got it?

I'm enjoying it so far though.

fruits basket is my favorite manga of all time, i'm glad you're enjoying it :o)

the 2019 anime is rly good so far and very faithful to the story flower; 

i can't wait for the 3rd season ;_;

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Question for people who brush their teeth:

If you brush them before going to sleep, but then get up a few hours later to get a snack or a glass of milk, do you have to brush them again before going back to bed?

if you don't you should at least rinse with water but it's better to do so
also if you're trying to start good dental hygiene you really need to get to a dentist asap first to get off all the shit that you can't brush away

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Question for people who brush their teeth:

If you brush them before going to sleep, but then get up a few hours later to get a snack or a glass of milk, do you have to brush them again before going back to bed?

real answer: don't get up and eat in the middle of the night and you won't have to

but pichi is right: at least drink a lil bit of water afterwards....i don't even know any adults who still drink milk, tho, honestly