4th Annual Ninfora Game of the Year Awards, 2020

5a467e1ba8abf_GameoftheYearBanner.thumb.png.1265b068fc0b9b2068d9feda1d8919d4.png

It's the end of the year and that means it's time for the 4th annual Ninfora Game Awards!

As always we've had an extensive panel of one person (me) look back on his (my) favorite games of the year and highlight a little bit about what made those games special. Let me know what are your own top picks for 2020, what games you're looking forward to playing from this year, or just to tell me how wrong my choices are.

1413627531_SuperMario3DAllStarsBowser.thumb.jpg.3df06074fa9f13a4c2c54fded1c2a221.jpg

Most Mario Game: Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Three Mario games in one? Aside from the original Super Mario All-Stars, it doesn't get much more Mario than this. And like the original, 3D All-Stars is a charming collection of some of Mario's best and weirdest adventures in 3D platforming. From Mario's first 3D steps in 64 to his environmentally conscious vacation in Sunshine to the gravity warping space adventures in Galaxy, this collection proves that Mario's polished game design is fantastic no matter when you play it (some quirks of 3D platformer development notwithstanding). It may not be the wild remastering that some fans might have wanted, but what it does deliver is a delightful trip down memory lane and a perfect introduction to some classic Mario adventures for new players.

836173747_KnightsandBikescaravans.thumb.jpg.b23c34713a2ed246956b757aeeb23c55.jpg

Best Kid Co-op Game: Knights and Bikes
Knights and Bikes captures the childhood joy of running around the neighborhood with your friends during summer vacation in a way that few other games can boast. There's a very delicate balancing act involved to make an adventure that is rather silly and child-like still have weight and depth, both from the players' perspective and the characters', and Knights and Bikes nails it. More importantly, this game is simply a joy to play with a friend—both characters' abilities complement each other nicely, and ending a big fight with a celebratory high five is something far more games should aspire to do.

1482543759_DarksidersGenesiscutscene.thumb.jpg.608fdb8d0578bffe8dd5a8c9ca2e667c.jpg

Best Not-Kid Co-op Game: Darksiders Genesis

It took a winding path to get there, but we made it: four Darksiders games, each one starring a different horseman of the apocalypse. Though, technically, this game stars two horsemen, as it's a co-op, Diablo-esque action game that has you gunning down demons or slashing them apart—a bit different, tonally, from Knights and Bikes. Regardless, Darksiders Genesis is a visceral and satisfying action game that makes for a great co-op experience, like a bloody buddy action flick. Its technical issues are a bit of a problem on the Switch, but the game is worth powering through them, especially with a friend along for the ride.

1319175277_MurderbyNumbersdetective.thumb.jpg.4ffc08eff391132f4a552460d694e434.jpg

Best Genre Mash-Up: Murder by Numbers
One part nonogram puzzle game and one part detective story visual novel, Murder by Numbers is the perfect genre mash-up that I didn't realize I wanted. Nonogram or picross puzzles are incredibly addictive already, but throw a story over the whole experience to tie everything together and it's nearly impossible to put this game down once you get started. It certainly helps that there's so much life and personality in the visual and audio design of Murder by Numbers, not to mention the story that smoothly flits between funny, charming, and heart-felt. If there was ever a game to introduce new players to nonogram puzzles, this is it.

506112487_PaperMarioOrigamiKingfield.thumb.jpg.974c0547f0e2e84f75e932ecc1bbb2af.jpg

Paper Mario: The Origami King was an exciting surprise for two reasons. First, it was announced and released within the span of just about two months, which is a pretty tight turnaround even by Nintendo's most secretive standards (though this is putting aside the rumors of its development earlier in the year). Second and perhaps more importantly, The Origami King is a fantastic game that has finally seemed to find Paper Mario's footing after abandoning the traditional RPG elements of the first two games in the series. It's unfortunate that it took this long, but the developers have found a way to make battles engaging and worthwhile even without the incentive of experience points. Add in the top-notch (and pun-filled) writing, charming companion Olivia, and beautiful paper environments to explore and you've got a winning Paper Mario formula.

762577965_SuperCrushKOChubbz.thumb.png.1b258d8c1a699ea4821cc811b0abd345.png

Best High Score Chaser: Super Crush KO
There's definitely something to be said for the classic arcade game formula of racking up a high score and putting your reflexes to the test to in a perfect run through waves of enemies. Super Crush KO might not be particularly long, but it makes up for that with addictive replayability that prompts you to try one more time to nail that high score. And it certainly helps that the robot-punching combat system is so satisfyingly smooth and snappy, with a small variety of attacks that gives you plenty of options but doesn't overwhelm you. Throw a cute story centering around a particularly adorable cat and you've got a stylish score chaser that Switch owners need to check out.

2023290226_IndivisibleTeotul.thumb.jpg.1b2b4c1f6664258b2bb441692dd8c758.jpg

Most Stylish Game: Indivisible
Indivisible combines action-RPG battles and platforming mechanics for an experience that is pretty unique, but the standout feature is still the beautiful 2D animation and colorful character designs. The developers put all of their experience with the artwork and animation of Skullgirls toward making Indivisible a stunning game, both for the fluid motions of each character's wildly different attacks and for the stylish characters and scenery that draw influence from southeast Asian cultures. The gameplay has its ups and downs, but it's hard to find fault with the look of this hybrid action-RPG platformer.

39248139_Wonderful101Remasteredjump.thumb.jpg.c145c264873edfb76fa5b036e475d8e6.jpg

Most Wonderful Remaster: The Wonderful 101: Remastered
Few Wii U exclusives deserved a second chance at stardom as much as The Wonderful 101. This quirky action game from the masters of the genre, Platinum Games, combines a cartoonish, superhero story with cartoonish, action-heavy gameplay for a wonderfully unique experience that didn't get the attention it deserved on the Wii U. This remastering may not bring all of the updates and changes that it really ought to have, and the change in controllers makes for a somewhat awkward learning curve, but this is still a flashy action game from one of best developers in the genre and absolutely deserves some more love.

1501215227_BugFablestown.thumb.jpg.4214fdea62fa533588424ff9bab53d36.jpg

It cannot be easy to develop your own game while drawing such clear inspiration from a popular, well-beloved series without worrying about whether or not the homage crosses a line, or if your game has the strength to stand on its own merits. But Bug Fables dances around that issue beautifully. The game is unmistakably inspired by the early Paper Mario games, from looks to RPG mechanics, but it's still a wonderfully engrossing adventure all its own, one that knows when to lean on familiar mechanics and when to inject its own flavor into the mix. To do all that while telling a story about intelligent insects is really the icing on the cake.

1317660661_AgeofCalamitychampions.thumb.jpg.d2eecbabd72bd5f9cc870dee7a6b0e36.jpg

Best Breath of the Wild Game: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
No, sadly, 2020 didn't see the release of Breath of the Wild 2, but we did get a Zelda spin-off to fill that Hyrule-shaped hole in our hearts. And even though it's in a different genre, Age of Calamity is an incredible return to Breath of the Wild's Hyrule, one that combines familiar faces with incredibly satisfying action gameplay that lets you literally bowl over mobs of Bokoblins. Being able to see these fan-favorite characters one more time is already fantastic, but to play as them in massive battlefields that let you live out the experience of fighting a war against Ganon's forces of darkness? That's a Switch game that can't be missed.

340924254_KentuckyRouteZeroEquusOils.thumb.jpg.ca1db6d6e7305e8b900d8a73bfc47c9b.jpg

Most Surreal Game: Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
Back in January of this year, Kentucky Route Zero finally got its fifth and final act, and this TV Edition combines all five with all of the game's side story interludes as well. I'd heard about this game for years but truth be told only got around to actually playing it a week ago, but for my money I'd say the wait was worth it. Kentucky Route Zero is gameplay-light (almost gameplay-nonexistent, really) but the story pulls you into a surreal world of bizarre highways and mysterious strangers in the most beautiful way. The narrative's quiet musings on life—told through a magical realism setting—is evocative and engaging and absolutely worth the journey.

1621145060_Pikmin3Deluxethegoods.thumb.jpg.318f9649e6475f5dde97115e4dd723cf.jpg

Best Looking Fruit in a Game: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Pikmin may represent one of the best aspects of Nintendo as a game developer: taking one unique gameplay hook—in this case commanding an army of 100 tiny minions—and infusing a quirky universe around the concept, one that is imaginative, charming, and looks at the world in a different way. The series also represents what is so frustrating about being a Nintendo fan: we just want more entries in these oddball franchises! Although Pikmin 3 Deluxe isn't the brand new Pikmin 4 that I've been hoping for, it's good to see that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the miniature adventures of Pikmin entirely, and the new content in this version, though relatively minor, still helps make the experience that much richer. And in either the Wii U or Switch version, the fruit looks good enough to eat—assuming you could pluck it from the tiny hands of the Pikmin.

902142075_JennyLeCluedialogue.thumb.jpg.2a2a4bba0c6e9daacf3e45053e48cea8.jpg

Best Page-Turner Mystery: Jenny LeClue - Detectivu
Personally I've been waiting years to get a chance to play Jenny LeClue, after seeing it at a game expo, and although the game was released on Steam last year I still held out for the Switch version. Thankfully that long wait was worth it, and waiting for the Switch version also meant I could enjoy the full voice acting update. Jenny LeClue is a fantastic point and click adventure that combines a quirky town and beautiful visuals with a dire murder mystery. Although the game's puzzles aren't too taxing, the experience as a whole is brilliantly engaging. Hopefully we won't be waiting years and years for the next installment of the story.

267632381_TokyoMirageSessionsEncoresession.thumb.jpg.088855bd96ffe48bdc5fdbcc31e0262c.jpg

Best Encore Performance: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
Speaking of Wii U games seeing new life on the Switch: Tokyo Mirage Sessions was ripe for a rerelease, with the ever-growing popularity of both the Persona and Fire Emblem franchises making this crossover more relevant than ever. More importantly though, TMS is simply a solid RPG. The core mechanics are engaging whether you're in a basic fight or battling a boss, the visuals and audio are highly polished, and this Encore performance adds some welcome quality of life improvements. Overall there aren't too many significant changes, but the original game didn't need many, it just needed another opportunity to shine in the spotlight.

1981410077_Carrionrobots.thumb.jpg.bfc07b6b8f6695ee6cf7722f8c1c0605.jpg

Most Monstrous Game: Carrion
Sometimes you just want to go on a rampage in a game, and Carrion perfectly captures the tone of a movie monster running amok. A large part of that comes down to the satisfying, slimy way the monster slithers across the screen, leaving a trail of viscera and destruction in its wake. Carrion is also a solid Metroidvania, even if it is a bit easy and straightforward compared to other examples of the genre. Still, the game's unusual sense of personality makes up for anything lacking in the gameplay department.

1399570470_Spiritfarerhug.thumb.jpg.f04f632ed26c9955300b7249040adfc4.jpg

Most Heartfelt Game: Spiritfarer
Spiritfarer isn't the only game released this year that tugs on ol' the heartstrings, but it's the only one that handles heavy topics with such a warmhearted and sweet sensibility. Amidst an absolutely adorable art style, charming animation, a wonderfully serene soundtrack, and simple yet addictive management mechanics, Spiritfarer tells a beautifully emotional story about the afterlife and letting go of loved ones. More importantly, it does so without ever feeling trite or heavy-handed, and gives the player reasons to care for these characters even in the short time they have together.

916792224_TrialsofManaboss.thumb.jpg.5cf6897c6457544a3ad822319e465188.jpg

Best Old School Remake: Trials of Mana
It's great to see that the big developers are taking a look at their past catalog and bringing forward some of their classic titles for a new generation, and in this case they've not only given the game a 3D remake, they localized it into English for the first time last year! Trials of Mana, aka Seiken Densetsu 3, is an ambitious follow up to Secret of Mana, one that doesn't try to completely replicate its predecessor, but instead builds upon its foundation for its own experience. The result is an RPG with plenty of replay value, which this remake only improves upon with even more customization features. The core gameplay certainly shows its age, but fans of action-RPGs and/or classic games should enjoy the mix of old and new that is Trials of Mana.

1580948542_PhoenotopiaAwakeningbirbs.thumb.JPG.11d0a3747977add87272062f30029e1f.JPG

Best "Nintendo Difficult" Game: Phoenotopia: Awakening
Pixel art games are a dime a dozen these days, but few are as richly detailed as Phoenotopia: Awakening, which takes players on a sprawling adventure packed with side quests and secrets to uncover. And few are as fiendishly difficult, because Phoenotopia doesn't pull any punches when it comes to demanding combat that tests the limits of your action game skills. If you're up to the challenge though you'll be rewarded with a stunning action/adventure game, complete with charming visual/audio design and clever puzzle mechanics.

932688980_ManifoldGardenstairs.thumb.jpg.1d806561f782daa9e6bb0e7c80e264d7.jpg

Game Most Likely to Wrinkle Your Brain: Manifold Garden
One of the best things about following the indie game scene is discovering unusual games like Manifold Garden, games born from a specific vision that take players on a wild ride. And in this game's case, it's not just the mind-bending puzzles, beautifully serene and oddly foreboding visuals, or sense of wonder and discovery. It's how well all these elements blend together and constantly surprise the player with new, inventive challenges. It's hard to fully convey the experience of playing Manifold Garden through text—it's really a "playing is believing" kind of game—so I encourage you to experience it for yourself.

928945795_XenobladeChroniclesDEFutureConnected.thumb.jpg.28d4be371d4400372696892d657f0b18.jpg

The Definitive Rerelease Award: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
In a year absolutely packed with re-releases and remasters for the Switch, Xenoblade Chronicles still manages to stand out. On one hand, the original game was already an incredible RPG on the Wii, whose long and twisting narrative was matched by sprawling and breathtaking environments and a battle system that never allows you to get too comfortable. And the definitive edition manages to make the whole experience just that much better, with sharper graphics, valuable quality of life improvements, and an epilogue that gives you even more content to enjoy in this stunning world. Xenoblade has had an awkward series of releases, first as a limited edition game late in the Wii's lifespan then as a New 3DS exclusive, but now that the definitive edition is on the Switch there's no excuse not to check out this incredible RPG.

611950751_HadesTartarus.thumb.jpg.589f16a8bfae2448b37e254ebdc2c09c.jpg

Game of the Year: Hades
I'll admit, I've grown pretty tired of roguelikes over the last few years. It's a great way to infuse replay value into a game, but it's not how I normally like to play. Typically I prefer games with a strong narrative and/or a strong sense of progression, not just replaying mostly the same experience over and over. Hades, however, manages to combine meaningful story and gameplay progression in a roguelike package, and the final result is truly outstanding. Developer Supergiant Games has already created incredible narratives and wonderfully unique gameplay systems, but it's still amazing what they've done with Hades to make this game infinitely replayable and still engaging every single time. Beyond the phenomenal artwork, the beautiful music, the top-notch voice acting, and the huge assortment of boons and abilities that make every playthrough feel unique, the greatest achievement of Hades might be how seamlessly they've integrated a compelling story with engaging characters into the roguelike formula of dying/retrying repeatedly. There is a staggering amount of dialogue in this game and it is a blast to discover it bit by bit through every run. It truly displays such a thoughtful and thorough understanding of the genre and game design in general, and it's a joy to watch unfold. I was skeptical when Hades was announced, but actually spending time with the game quickly transformed it into one of my most played games of 2020 and my favorite Switch experience of the year.
Edited by Eliwood8

Most Mario?

Can't argue the winner but what would have been the thoughts on....

Super Mario 35 ( the SMB Battle Royale game)?

SMB via the G&W handheld?

Mario Kart Live?

Best BotW game?  LOL... can't argue winner but...

What about those two(?) "clone" games?  Well, maybe homage is a better use of words than clone.

Best Old School Remake?  So, ToM trumps FFVII?

That said, I bought ToM, but haven't played the actual game yet, I only played the demo level as I was working on the SNES version from the CoM from last year this year.  My plans are with that game is to use a whole new party set up and try to beat it.  I thought the graphics and music were outstanding and in line with the original so...

Well I wouldn't have counted FFVII since this is only for Switch/Nintendo-system games, not to mention the fact that I haven't gotten around to playing the FFVII remake yet. As for the other categories, I can assure you our panel of experts spend years deciding on not only the categories but the winners as well. It's a tough process but someone has to do it.

I still agree the surprise of the year was Paper Mario: The Origami King but bias speaking to me that would go to Hyrule Warriors: Ag of Calamity. I actually liked PM: TOK but I loved everything about AOG.

I guess it could of went either way with any preference but bother were revealed 2 months before released so it really is a toss up to preference.

Good list overall.