ActRaiser hits 30

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/anniversary_actraiser_turns_30_today_and_theres_still_nothing_quite_like_this_snes_classic

I can't recall when I got this game but I think it was a Christmas present.  I LOVED the music and the simcity + side scrolling platforming was something very unique.  It was a very cool way to tie in your boss defeats to developing your land(s) and then taking on that final boss.  I never beat it on SNES but I got the WiiVC version and beat that.  I was also better at planning out growing and developing my towns the second time around.  I think the sequel had its merits but without the sim part, it wasn't ActRaiser IMO.

I also only played ActRaiser on the Wii VC, but I really enjoyed the weird combo of sim building and side-scrolling action gameplay. Doesn't feel like the combo should even work, and really ActRaiser is neither the best sim game nor the best action platformer on the SNES, but the overall game is more than the sum of its parts and makes for such a unique experience. Also the line "I know it's unexpected, but the people have something to say to you" has been lodged in my brain since they say it every single time there's an update. :D

This game is my jam man and I was so glad when it came to the Wii VC.  Reliving that music, that title screen intro... just everything.  As a kid I also remember thinking how cool it was to have a stage called Bloodpool, haha.  I actually enjoyed Actraiser 2 quite a bit though the lack of SIM elements definitely stings.  I get that you're now in a more prosperous world but surely there could have been ways to still implement it.  Only thing that sucked about Act2 is the friggin skid stop the Master does after gliding.  Made platforming in the friggin Tower of Souls the most annoying thing ever!!

Even more disappointing when that SolSeraph game was being heralded as a spiritual successor but apparently must missed the mark way too much.  Profound sadness :(

• 2 weeks later...