Nintendo cancels Splatoon 2 stream in response to #FreeMelee and player protest even more

Vector

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

EolL26SUwAEt791?format=jpg&name=largeEolL9y4U8AAMPJm?format=jpg&name=large

Pretty much how I and I think most see Nintendo now.

59 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

What's all this now?

Long story short.

A few weeks back Nintendo helps TO Big House each year host Melee and Ultimate tournies. Because of the pandemic to play Melee is to do it online, so the TO are using mod called Slippi to play online. Nintendo didn't like that, C&D it. Like the revolt of EVO 2013 ppl didn't take kind to that so #freemelee starting popping up on social media. Now this past weekend there was a Splatoon 2 NA open tourney and it was streamed by Nintendo, 30% of the top finalist used name similar to 'freemelee. Nintendo also didn't like that so they made an excuse that they gonna forgo the stream finals yesterday. The tourney still went on with another stream and Nintendo is still pretending this not happening and acknowledging this is hurting them then helping.

Ah gotcha.

I can see why they'd C&D something that's using a mod to their hardware/software though. People get interested in the How To and start doing it themselves. They should've left the FreeMelee stuff in Splatoon though, all that would do is lead to people reading about it, and how Nintendo (to me, at least) reasonably hit them with a C&D as they didn't want modding getting widespread attention.

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Ah gotcha.

I can see why they'd C&D something that's using a mod to their hardware/software though. People get interested in the How To and start doing it themselves. They should've left the FreeMelee stuff in Splatoon though, all that would do is lead to people reading about it, and how Nintendo (to me, at least) reasonably hit them with a C&D as they didn't want modding getting widespread attention.

I get that and they have every right because there's a lot of IP's in Smash (tho Melee isn't even sold anymore by Nintendo), what is sort of grey till this day is that tho the use of Slippi is used thru the dolphin emulator. Emulation is no illegal or nor is pirating if you own copy of said game. Probably not a big assumption but these TO own the physical copies of Melee so because that is shaky ground Nintendo can C&D that without much fight back.

Also of note is that other TO's that are really small time and not big like big house or supported by Nintendo use slippi in their tournaments and Nintendo don't C&D them. I wonder why not? It's obvious that because their small no will know of this emulation method, that and Nintendo don't affiliate with small TOs.

Yeah, I wondered that anyone that works at Nintendo have to keep their opinions of what is going on as late to themselves when they are at work and now this now new job opening.

Yikes, Nintendo internally is a mess right now. I feel like with the success of the Switch warrants all this wanton decrees from Nintendo, it is sort of like how Sony was after the PS2 and charged so much for its predecessor the PS3 at launch. It's only when a company is doing well that they behave like this. Back with EVO 2013 revolt, despite Nintendo decision at first I feel ontop of the outcry and and money raised for charity, Nintendo went back on its decision because the Wii U wasn't the hottest thing, so having bad press and bad postion with the company success and finance had a hand in Nintendo change of heart.

We will not see that here, they can probably take hit in the optics, as long as they are making money they don't care who they crush if it means they make buck while doing it.

Sorta sad.

This is why competition is good, in the case of the others' recent console launches. Anyone that's on top becomes arrogant. Nintendo won't have it as easy next year at least. 2020 was convenient for them, but not so much the fans/players.

Sorta relevant,

Granted, had still mostly been like it is now even when Iwata was in charge, and even as president he still had the rest of Nintendo's executive branch to contend with whom as we know are a bunch of old men resistant to change. If they had more time though with him around perhaps they could've slowly shifted to such mentalities, but alas...

Kinda want to chime in on the below because I do think people are cherry picking quotes less as an appraisal of Iwata's mindset insofar as how a Nintendo still led by Iwata might do something different here and more as a fabricated Nintendo desecrating his legacy narrative created around this situation.  I'm not gonna be on the same bus as those who see today's Nintendo as the same "run by old farts who don't understand" Nintendo that was common around the N64-GCN days, but I do think people who expected something different here haven't been paying attention.  It's just a convenient dead horse to beat when the situation calls for it.

5 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

This is why competition is good, in the case of the others' recent console launches. Anyone that's on top becomes arrogant. Nintendo won't have it as easy next year at least. 2020 was convenient for them, but not so much the fans/players.

Sorta relevant,

Granted, had still mostly been like it is now even when Iwata was in charge, and even as president he still had the rest of Nintendo's executive branch to contend with whom as we know are a bunch of old men resistant to change. If they had more time though with him around perhaps they could've slowly shifted to such mentalities, but alas...

Interesting excerpt. I do think there should be a hard limited period of time in which a creator's work should be protected, but to no extensions or exceptions like what other companies have pushed for to essentially create the awful shit that is modern copyright law.

The thing with Mozart and such examples is back then there wasn't a lot of people around with the tools or capability of stealing works and passing it off as their own, while in the modern age art theft is a major common problem, especially for small time artists with how easy it can be, which is why there needs to be a return to a system that protects individual artists and such rather than allowing stuff to be owned indefinitely be companies. That won't happen though.

The difference between now and five+ years ago (Iwata aside), was that Nintendo was in a far more precarious position with the Wii U and not the most lucrative business of their entire country, so they backed off on the EVO 2013 debacle, knowing how it would make them look if they didn't. Now though they don't have to hide any bad practices behind closed doors.

A much better man than myself could create a better reply, but on the surface level I can't say I agree with the premise behind that 4-Chan post.  Intellectual property is absolutely a thing and a great deal of that post falls apart simply by ignoring that fact.   To be fair, sure, you can't own the idea of a swordsman because it's far too broad, generic and overarching a thing to grant proprietorship over. ( Read: Imagine if someone had a patent on the wheel or use of fire)  But you can absolutely own a very specific kind of swordsman created with very specific details and for a very specific purpose. (Understand: There are patents for specific wheel types/fabrications, there are patents for specific tools that generate fire)  In the age of Harry Potter there is nothing stopping anyone from creating their own world using many of the broad ideas and lore that Harry Potter itself is built upon.  Just don't copy Harry Potter wholesale; granted, things can be and are more nuanced than that but it's not a difficult concept.  There's a reason why third party manufacturers can create peripherals that are functionally similar to first party items without repercussion even the unlicensed products.

Just because IP is a product of modern history doesn't negate its purpose or place in the very history that humanity has cultivated as time goes on.  Yes, humans can and do copy a lot of things but it's often to the tune of something like this below rather than what I'm taking as inference from that 4chan post.

Can I Copy Your Homework? | Know Your Meme

Edited by Kezay

Interesting, some ppl look at IP broadly or very keenly. Like Kezay, I do not know anyone who can say what is more accurate about IP.

Tho, err is to human and copy and paste is in our DNA, that is a fact and no matter what some law might define what. There are those who fight to protect it and those who fight against it because how everyone just thinks differently. In the end I don't think there will be definitive answer to what IP really means.

• Chrom featured this topic