The Millennium Court - N4A Chat Thread - December 2020

Chrom

23 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

But people need something to look forward to.

We all know that the planet is fucked. We know that there's a virus going around because someone in China didn't heat up his bat soup properly. We know that a bunch of old guys in suits throwing shit at each other are all that stand between us and global nuclear annihilation.

But we also have hope. Hope that we can develop cleaner energy sources and plant more trees. Hope that vaccines can be distributed. Hope that someone with a sniper rifle can take care of the rat bastard politicians.

Nobody knows if 2021 will be any better, but we do know that 2020 was an incredibly shitty year, so the least we can do is hope that the coming year won't be any worse.

Very true. Nothing's going to just poof, disappear. But you yanks got Biden coming in after Trump, the world is starting Covid vaccinations, and then we can all (hopefully) learn some lessons from the pandemic about what's wrong with the world and get to work on some.

2020 was a mankind changing year. Not just because of the pandemic, but because of what that pandemic revealed about how we live, and what our own countries do to keep us safe and cared for. It forced some places to embrace the technological future we're in with WFH and online courses. But also the need for social programs like UBI and health care. But it was also a clusterfuck. We need to celebrate the "worst part is over" part of some really shitty events.

It's like that old joke:

"An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a pint. The second one orders half a pint. The third one orders a quarter of a pint. Before the fourth one can order, the bartender puts down two pints and says 'You guys are idiots'."

In this case, each mathematician represents a coming year. The pints represent hope. As time goes on, and shitty things keep happening, the amount of hope will gradually get smaller and smaller, but it will never completely disappear.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

What's a location in a game that comes after a long, difficult level that's such a huge pain in the ass, that reaching the new area feels like a huge relief because you don't have to deal with that shitty level anymore?

That should be the chat thread name for January 2021.

that elf village after Ymir Forest in Tales of Symphonia.

I don't even remember the name of the village (For some reason I'm thinking Heimdallr, but I might be confusing it with a Cold Steel city), but eff. that. dungeon.

Edited by Zora no Kiseki
17 minutes ago, Zora no Kiseki said:

that elf village after Ymir Forest in Tales of Symphonia.

I don't even remember the name of the village (For some reason I'm thinking Heimdallr, but I might be confusing it with a Cold Steel city), but eff. that. dungeon.

Close.

It's Heimdall without the R.

Why is it that JRPGs only ever copy names from Norse or Greek mythology? We have so many other different mythologies to steal names from that don't get used nearly as often! Arthurian, Egyptian, Abrahamic, Polynesian, Hindu, Shinto, Mesopotamian...

Sure we can celebrate victories as they come, but even the things mentioned above are not perfect “victories”. There is always work to do... and it will require a lot of sacrifice to do it right.

As just an example, if enough people don’t get vaccinated with one or another vaccine, or at least perform the basic sacrifices that have been asked of us thus far (which has been difficult for a lot of people), this thing will linger and kill a lot more people, and then may never go away (a new smallpox/bubonic plague, or worse). It’s already mutating; if we waste any more time with lacklustre responses it will only get worse, not better.

So go ahead and hope, but I wouldn’t call 2020 “game-changing” until we actually start to see some solid results. 

38 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Sure we can celebrate victories as they come, but even the things mentioned above are not perfect “victories”. There is always work to do... and it will require a lot of sacrifice to do it right.

As just an example, if enough people don’t get vaccinated with one or another vaccine, or at least perform the basic sacrifices that have been asked of us thus far (which has been difficult for a lot of people), this thing will linger and kill a lot more people, and then may never go away (a new smallpox/bubonic plague, or worse). It’s already mutating; if we waste any more time with lacklustre responses it will only get worse, not better.

So go ahead and hope, but I wouldn’t call 2020 “game-changing” until we actually start to see some solid results. 

we're just normal people dude, none of us here even have the opportunity to change any of that shit other than continuing to do our best and encourage others to do the same

we all know its going to be slow and arduous and painstaking and exhausting, we get it 

there's no need to be a downer about it just because some of us would like to look on the bright side of things for new years

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

What's a location in a game that comes after a long, difficult level that's such a huge pain in the ass, that reaching the new area feels like a huge relief because you don't have to deal with that shitty level anymore?

That should be the chat thread name for January 2021.

Not sure about the name but you could use the theme that plays after exiting Rock Tunnel in Pokémon Red.
Massive relief but also feels like the adventure has long to go~

I guess just "Route 10" would work

Edited by Pichi

I think of the Deep City from Etrian Odyssey 3 because it's after the absolute hell of a second stratum and fighting one of the most notorious "gatekeeper" bosses in the series, and it's also the only game in the series with a second hub city.

also my name may or may not be a reference to the EO3 shopkeeper

Look, I'm not saying 2021 is going to be amazing or something, but I'd like to at least be optimistic that we're looking forward to a better year.

• As far as I'm aware, there's no serious concern that the new strands will cause the vaccine to be moot; the vaccines we have are already extremely effective so even they're compromised, herd immunity should still be achievable. Distributing the vaccine will be a huge logistical challenge and herd immunity may not exist until latter half of 2021, but I'm optimistic that there's light at the end of the tunnel here.
  • And, while Biden is going to be far from the perfect president, he's still going to be better than Trump. If they're honestly serious about forgiving up to 50k student loan debt, then I won't have student loan debt; that's something. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

And yes, there are absolutely going to be challenges going into the future, no one is saying we can get complacent, but at least allow us to enjoy some of our victories after what is one hell of a demoralizing year.

Last night I randomly decided to play Earthbound Beginnings. I have a real soft spot for this game. I remember sometime during Summer 2009, we were in the middle of moving, and our new space wouldn't be ready for a few weeks (so we thought at the time.) So for an entire Summer I just had my DS with Pokemon Diamond and TWEWY. With less games on hand, it brought me to playing games on an emulator. I think initially I picked up Mother 1 because the thought was, "Well, I know I want to play Earthbound, so I should play the game before it." Within the span of two weeks, I finished Mother 1. It was rare for me to engage with games on emulator, let alone finish one. It was a fun ride of learning my way through this game, with some help from Starmen.net.

Eventually I went on to play Earthbound, but honestly I still prefer Mother 1. Earthbound is brought down a lot with terrible item management and poor difficulty balance. The same could be said for Mother 1, but Earthbound is hailed as some holy triumph of JRPGs. It makes me think that people that echo this sentiment haven't played past Onett where there's mushrooms and exploding trees that bring a great game into a frustrating experience.