Switch firmware 11.0.0 Available NOW!

Switch firmware update 11.0.0. is now available and adds quite a few new features...

🔗https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/~/nintendo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history#v1100

Ver. 11.0.0 (Released November 30, 2020)

Nintendo Switch Online was added to the HOME Menu.

• Access all Nintendo Switch Online services, from getting the latest information to checking your membership status. *This feature is not available in some countries/regions.

A new feature that automatically downloads backed up save data was added to the Save Data Cloud.

• When using software with the same Nintendo Account linked to multiple systems, save data backed up from one console will automatically be downloaded to your other system(s). *To use this feature, it must be enabled under System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud. *Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually. *A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the Save Data Cloud service.

A new Trending feature was added to the User Page.

• Users can check what software their friends are playing or have started playing recently. Information will not be displayed for friends who have their online status set to display to no one.

Users can now transfer screenshots and videos from Album to their smart devices.

• Users can wirelessly connect their smart devices to Nintendo Switch to transfer the screenshots and videos saved within their Album.
  • For screenshots, users can transfer a maximum of 10 screenshots and 1 video capture at once. *To connect, users must use their smart device to scan the QR Code displayed on the Nintendo Switch screen. For more information, please refer to the Nintendo Support website. *“QR Code” is a registered trademark of DENSO WAVE INCORPORATED.

A new Copy to a Computer via USB Connection feature was added under System Settings > Data Management > Manage Screenshots and Videos.

• Users can use a USB cable to connect Nintendo Switch to their computers to copy the screenshots and videos saved under Album. * A USB charging cable [model HAC-010] or a USB-IF certified USB cable that supports data transfer is required to connect to a computer. For more information, please refer to the Nintendo Support website. * Connection via the Nintendo Switch dock is not supported. Please connect the Nintendo Switch system directly to the computer.

Users can now select what download to prioritize when there are multiple downloads in progress.

• When there are multiple software, update data, or downloadable content downloads in progress, users can now select which they want to download first.
  • You can set this under Download Options by selecting the icon for the software you want to download first on the HOME Menu.

User icons were added.

• 12 user icons that commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series were added.
  • Users can now name preset button mappings with the Change Button Mapping feature.

Brazilian Portuguese was added as a supported language.

• When users set their region to the Americas and their language to Português, the language used on the HOME Menu and in certain software will be displayed in Brazilian Portuguese.

Several issues were fixed, and usability and stability were improved.

Nice to see they finally added a way to prioritize downloads. The Wii U had a Download Manager, so why did they get rid of it on Switch?

BTW, is it just me or does the NSO button on the home menu stick out like a sore thumb? >_<

Edited by alienboyva

I tested out sending screenshots/your smartphone and it's pretty neat (It has your device connect to the Switch via Wi-Fi). Though, on iOS (using Safari) I don't think you can save videos to your device from the web. Maybe I need to download another browser like Chrome? However, I tried just sending a video to my little bro's iPad via the messages app on iOS and he was able to see it, even though it sent as a link/embedded video.

EDIT: 

Speaking of sharing screenshots/videos from your Switch, I really wish Nintendo would update the character limit when posting screenshots/videos to Twitter via the Switch. I find it really annoying at times they still use the old 140 character limit and not the updated 280 character limit that was introduced a few years ago.

Edited by alienboyva
6 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I tested out sending screenshots/your smartphone and it's pretty neat (It has your device connect to the Switch via Wi-Fi). Though, on iOS (using Safari) I don't think you can save videos to your device from the web. Maybe I need to download another browser like Chrome? However, I tried just sending a video to my little bro's iPad via the messages app on iOS and he was able to see it, even though it sent as a link/embedded video.

Speaking of sharing screenshots/videos from your Switch, I see they finally updated the character limit when posting screenshots/videos to Twitter. Having the old character limit on Switch was really annoying at times.

Curious to see how that works, cool.

I have android phone so I'll see how that goes.

Just have to see how transferring images/videos from Switch to PC is. That is handful for saving space on my micro SD card, especially for converting the recording matches from Ultimate to videos to put on the micro SD, those take up more space than any saved game, pics or 30 sec vids from capturing. I'd say it is the 2nd most space taking on my SD and first is retail games. So now I don't clean the fridge with games when I have vids from Ultimate that are sitting there taking up space. So anytime there new Ultimate update and your replay will not play/work in the new update, I don't care or bother to make in to vids on my SD card or even save replays anymore because. They won't be playable down the road or nor can back them up on my SD card cause of the space.

15 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Curious to see how that works, cool.

I have android phone so I'll see how that goes.

Just have to see how transferring images/videos from Switch to PC is. That is handful for saving space on my micro SD card, especially for converting the recording matches from Ultimate to videos to put on the micro SD, those take up more space than any saved game, pics or 30 sec vids from capturing. I'd say it is the 2nd most space taking on my SD and first is retail games. So now I don't clean the fridge with games when I have vids from Ultimate that are sitting there taking up space. So anytime there new Ultimate update and your replay will not play/work in the new update, I don't care or bother to make in to vids on my SD card or even save replays anymore because. They won't be playable down the road or nor can back them up on my SD card cause of the space.

I don't think there's a way to transfer from Switch to PC, because it uses QR codes and your phone's camera. I really wish this was done via the NSO app, kinda like how the Xbox Series X/S use a mobile app for sharing screenshots/videos to various places.

Now that I think of it, if your device lets you save both pics and videos from the web to your device or a SD card, you should be able to  plug-in your device to your PC or the SD card from your device and transfer that way. Though, like I mentioned above, I couldn't find a way to save videos from the web to my iPhone (saving pics work just fine). Not sure if this is a iOS limitation or Safari limitation. 

Edited by alienboyva
4 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I don't think there's a way to transfer from Switch to PC, because it uses QR codes and your phone's camera. I really wish this was done via the NSO app, kinda like how the Xbox Series X/S use a mobile app for sharing screenshots/videos to various places.

Now that I think of it, if your device lets you save both pics and videos from the web to your device or a SD card, you should be able to  plug-in your device to your PC or the SD card from your device and transfer that way. Though, like I mentioned above, I couldn't find a way to save videos from the web to my iPhone (saving pics work just fine). Not sure if this is a iOS limitation or Safari limitation. 

Yes, the only way like the early days of the 3DS, is to put the SD card in your PC. When the N3DS came out, they use connection from the 3DS to PC using password to access the micro SD card to your PC without taking out the SD card because it is a bit of a hassle to to do so with a N3DS. They could try to do that with the Switch again but they opted to USB C to USB A connection to your PC. I don't know why they did that method and not the one for the N3DS but oh well it is better than nothing. Which is still technically to take the SD card out of switch and put in your PC. They probably did the wire transfer because it is more secure than wireless, that and it is not hard to take the SD card than the N3DS by a small margin.

Yeah, still gotta test the wire method of Switch to PC and see how that goes.

5 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yes, the only way like the early days of the 3DS, is to put the SD card in your PC. When the N3DS came out, they use connection from the 3DS to PC using password to access the micro SD card to your PC without taking out the SD card because it is a bit of a hassle to to do so with a N3DS. They could try to do that with the Switch again but they opted to USB C to USB A connection to your PC. I don't know why they did that method and not the one for the N3DS but oh well it is better than nothing. Which is still technically to take the SD card out of switch and put in your PC. They probably did the wire transfer because it is more secure than wireless, that and it is not hard to take the SD card than the N3DS by a small margin.

Yeah, still gotta test the wire method of Switch to PC and see how that goes.

Oh, whoops! I kind of missed the fact that the update also added a wired feature for PC. 😅

I would try this out right now, but I currently don't have a USB-A to USB-C cable.

1 minute ago, alienboyva said:

Oh, whoops! I kind of missed the fact that the update also added a wired feature for PC. 😅

I would try this out right now, but I currently don't have a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Yeah, I was wondering what you happen to miss but at least you have the Switch to smartphone and that seem cool.

Like I said gotta try that and the Switch to PC transfer for myself.

Also, with this trending thing this will be a great way to surmise your friends, most played titles for this year. When that thread comes up, it will be interesting to see what we see in trending matches up when ppl post their own games hours.

Had a feeling it would be brought up with the NSO icon. I wanna say for some reason it doesn't bother me but it simply does not bother me. I can see tho why it might bother some....wait how does the icon look in white background then the black one? Is one more obviously worse than the other?

I highly doubt they are gonna change or make it like the ones mocked above, it so similar to the controller icons. Maybe they knew that and wanted to prevent confusion of similar icons functioning different. Which is odd to say because a lot of this new icon function is in the eShop of system setting or takes you to them. Lot of redundant convenience with this new icon now that I think about. I think they really want to advertise NSO real bad and did care how it looks or how redundant is once you go into it.

41 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Had a feeling it would be brought up with the NSO icon. I wanna say for some reason it doesn't bother me but it simply does not bother me. I can see tho why it might bother some....wait how does the icon look in white background then the black one? Is one more obviously worse than the other?

I highly doubt they are gonna change or make it like the ones mocked above, it so similar to the controller icons. Maybe they knew that and wanted to prevent confusion of similar icons functioning different. Which is odd to say because a lot of this new icon function is in the eShop of system setting or takes you to them. Lot of redundant convenience with this new icon now that I think about. I think they really want to advertise NSO real bad and did care how it looks or how redundant is once you go into it.

I'd say it sticks out a tad bit more in the light theme....

EoHJpH8XcAAbVpT?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, I don't really get the point of this NSO app on the home menu, especially for the reasons you mentioned. Though, I guess they just wanted consolidate everything in to one section. It'd be nice of if the NSO app on mobile was more like this, so it would be more useful outside of just the game app enhancements. 

Edited by alienboyva
Just now, alienboyva said:

I'd say it stick out a tad bit more in the light theme....

EoHJpH8XcAAbVpT?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, I don't really get the point of this NSO app on the home menu, especially for the reasons you mentioned. Though, I guess they just wanted consolidate everything in to one section. It'd be nice of if the NSO app on mobile was more like this, so it'd would be more useful outside of just the game app enhancements. 

Bruh, turn that black right now. Now that is a bother for me, hmm gotta see how the icon looks inverted. Gotta try every option.

Okay, I tried out the Switch to my android phone and iOS isn't the only one with having trouble accessing on browser and even when you find one like Chrome or Firefox, where it asks you save the DL, I don't know where the hell it goes. I searched everywhere I can't find where I said to save it on my micro SD card on my smartphone, where on the SD card it didn't specified so I searched every from different entry ways and nothing is there anywhere.

So did I do something wrong or Nintendo needs to find a way to work properly on browsers. This isn't really Nintendo's fault for this part but as it warns in the page that the menu to save or DL the image differs, it still no excuse that leave the browser to guess what you want to do with the image, especially where you want to save it. Don't just say SD and hopes it save it there?!? No, Nintendo just need to have the interface of the QR Code work with browser command menu when you want save a image and leave to browser to guess and nothing happens. So it is cool to start but to actually get it on your phone is another quest altogether. This not a worth while way to bypass the image to Twitter thru the Switch.

Also, when I save the image, the watermark of Koei, Nintendo IP show at the bottom of the screen, you can put that on all your images but can't work with browser save images properly?!?

As for Switch to PC, it is sort of like I mention about the N3DS wireless connection with the password, minus the password obviously. So like with anything you put/connect to your PC, it show up in window. It shows up as HHS icon name album and instead of showing what is on the SD card and name of files, it actually shows the names of the games you screenshot or made videos. Instant access to view, play or copy to your PC.

I think that is much better to do than the Switch to smartphone, if you own any pro controllers or any thing from Nintendo that requires charge with USB C to USB A (so the last 3 years). Then you got the means to do the Switch to PC transfer. For me I have a lot of those but the best one for this instant is the USB C to USB cable that comes with Super Mario G&W. It sucks that it short (like 10 cm) but it is perfect for the Switch to PC transfer.

EDIT: Hey, when did they get rid of the invert color options?!?

Edited by DLurkster

I noticed in the NSO icon when looking over the available games on the service, when going over the release month of your birthday, it will show a birthday cake to the right. You click it and it show how old you were when that particular game released that year.

I think that is cool touch and really shows how old you are.

EDIT:

Here's a video showing the secret. I would capture it from the Switch but I get a message that I cannot.

Edited by DLurkster