I have a rule proposal regarding posting video and news links.

CHAINMAILLEKID

By no means would I expect a rule like this to make its way to Ninfora.  We do at least want to allow you guys the chance to have some freedom (within reason) to post what you want.  If you think a news topic speaks for itself, then by all means post it.  At the same time, if you value this community and the conversations it can spark, then I would absolutely encourage you to add your own insight to those posts.  Even if all you do is reply to your own topic as if you were commenting on it like everyone else, it's always helpful to include at least some reasoning for why you want to share the content.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

How would character limit police it? Some URLs are pretty long, where as some topics, especially in Power On, can have an OP with just a few words.

Well, I don't know if its possible,but I was thinking the min character could be triggered by video embed tags, or HTML links in the OP, and excepting text within the tags from the character count. I'm not sure what sort of flexibility exists to do stuff like that.

Also I don't really think the rule necessarily needs to apply to Power On, as PO operated a bit differently the subject dependent boards.

12 hours ago, Lt. Surge said:

I wasn't liking the idea about pointing fingers at anybody for being guilty of this, but going off of Iri's lead...

I feel like about a third of these could use a lot more than just a few words or a single sentence of summarization or their personal opinion. If these examples were a bit more fleshed out, then I would actually consider participating in the conversation because it wouldn't feel like a copy and paste job. Just like what Chain said above, I don't wanna take the time to post my thoughts on a piece of news in topics that the creators themselves took about 10 seconds to post.

Most sites I go to its sort of a violation of rules to post a video or a news article without a link to it.  Or to copy/paste videos and articles without a link to the site ( granted with videos now its not a clear cut as you can click on the pane and it will take you to youtube channel ect...). Also, hotlinking images and/or taking portions of an article off someone's site without links can get into some copyright issues and one could argue that you are taking away clicks from that site--which keeps them afloat.

Also, if you are bringing up a talking point about something you saw and you end up being the only one talking/posting ....      OR,  another issue is you taint the link/video with your own typed comments and thus spoon feed people opinion/content without them possibly clicking said link or video to find out about it themselves AND let the content creator make their case for why they put it up.

In short, I am against spoon feeding people information and thus a link to an article lets them read it for themselves and make their own opinion and thus their discussion points about what they took from it.  I also try to keep any bias out of a OP to article so a reader isn't tainted by my opinion--because its MY opinion, not yours.

Edited by purple_beard
2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

How would character limit police it? Some URLs are pretty long, where as some topics, especially in Power On, can have an OP with just a few words.

I don't mind shortened URLs or text over links but I do know some that don't like to click on some "short" link or "text link" because they feel like they don't know what they are clicking on/being directed to.

Granted I have seen very few bots posting and most of its pretty obvious so I doubt anyone here is posting links to "virus havens" on the forums so...

28 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Most sites I go to its sort of a violation of rules to post a video or a news article without a link to it.  Or to copy/paste videos and articles without a link to the site ( granted with videos now its not a clear cut as you can click on the pane and it will take you to youtube channel ect...). Also, hotlinking images and/or taking portions of an article off someone's site without links can get into some copyright issues and one could argue that you are taking away clicks from that site--which keeps them afloat.

Also, if you are bringing up a talking point about something you saw and you end up being the only one talking/posting ....      OR,  another issue is you taint the link/video with your own typed comments and thus spoon feed people opinion/content without them possibly clicking said link or video to find out about it themselves AND let the content creator make their case for why they put it up.

In short, I am against spoon feeding people information and thus a link to an article lets them read it for themselves and make their own opinion and thus their discussion points about what they took from it.  I also try to keep any bias out of a OP to article so a reader isn't tainted by my opinion--because its MY opinion, not yours.

No one is saying don't provide a link.  In fact, please continue to provide links with your posts!  People like sources.

But please, tell us why you're sharing.  Tell us why you like what you're reading or watching.  Tell us what makes what you're linking to interesting.  No one here thinks giving your own opinion, even in the OP, is "spoon-feeding" or "tainting" the discussion.  Heck, I've posted articles with my own opinions in the past and the first five replies were strong disagreements with my thoughts.  People will have their own opinions, regardless of the opinions you give in the OP.

This is an interesting proposal.  I never really gave it much thought, even if I've seen it happen quite a few times over on NS2.  Personally whenever I post a new thread dedicated to a news article talking about anything ranging from gaming to happenings in the world, I tend to try to briefly summarize it in a few sentences while linking back to the source and providing my own take on it, asking for others to share their feedback on the topic at hand. I find it to be much more worth the effort of posting if I feel I can contribute something to the discussion and I check in other replies to see if I can contribute a little more thought after taking into account other peoples' opinions and takes on the subject.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a proposal, and it could certainly help to encourage more engaging discussion within the community if the thread creator shows interest in what they're posting about.