I have a rule proposal regarding posting video and news links.

CHAINMAILLEKID

2 minutes ago, Chrom said:

Just for the record, have there been any particular topics on Ninfora that inspired this discussion? Could you identify for us anything you would define as low effort and not acceptable to have here?

Nothing here I've seen so far.

But it definitely happened on NS2 at times.
Cant quite remember usernames, but I think it might have been M! that had a habit of it?

Other bigger forums it can be a huge problem.
Its a pet peeve of mine on Gamefaqs in particular, where it is obscenely common.

Mostly I see it as a good thing to start the new community off with.

Reminds me of a forum where there is a lot of space and battles. But actually has none, Only news articles.

Seriously though its expected someones gonna dump articles. It kinda gives the community something to talk about. As long I don't see entire boards filled with news articles or tagged as such. it should be just fine. Maybe create a special chat thread for posting random news articles or something?

32 minutes ago, Chrom said:

Just for the record, have there been any particular topics on Ninfora that inspired this discussion? Could you identify for us anything you would define as low effort and not acceptable to have here?

https://ninfora.com/forums/index.php?/profile/45-dlurkster/&do=content&type=forums_topic&change_section=1

About a third or so of these.

And as clarification, I personally don't think it's unacceptable... but rather, I wish more effort was put into the descriptions of said videos.

Edited by Iridium

I agree with this.  Haven't really paid attention much to see if anyone has done it here but there were times on NS2 where I saw it occur as well.  I usually didn't have a problem checking the link or the embedded video regardless for my own edification but even if the thread creator doesn't want to kickstart the discussion surrounding it then at least provide a little something to give people an idea of what it's about and maybe be used as a primer for others to kickstart a discussion.

3 hours ago, Iridium said:

I personally don't think it's unacceptable... but rather, I wish more effort was put into the descriptions of said videos.

This basically is where I'm coming from.

because,

It kinda gives the community something to talk about.

A link by itself really doesn't do that. If I post a Gamexplain video, and then talk about it, summaries it or point a few things out from my perspective, say why I think its interesting, or present conclusions of my own, then thats what gives something people to say.

The idea isn't to stop the posting of news stories and videos, or even necessarily reign it in at all.
Rather its to encourage people to add more to their posts. I think People usually have something to say, but don't go through the trouble of actually saying it.

And if you can't even come up with a small paragraph to go with piece of news you want to post, then why would anybody else?

Edited by CHAINMAILLEKID
4 hours ago, Chrom said:

I wasn't liking the idea about pointing fingers at anybody for being guilty of this, but going off of Iri's lead...

I feel like about a third of these could use a lot more than just a few words or a single sentence of summarization or their personal opinion. If these examples were a bit more fleshed out, then I would actually consider participating in the conversation because it wouldn't feel like a copy and paste job. Just like what Chain said above, I don't wanna take the time to post my thoughts on a piece of news in topics that the creators themselves took about 10 seconds to post.

Thank you. I was very tempted to write something like this in a thread last night.

Some people here have just been dumping GameXplain videos with a title and leaving it like that as a thread. Really? No summary? No comments? Who the heck is paying you? I'm not going to click and sift through those videos if you're not going to give me an idea if I'll be interested.

At the same time, I know we're trying to go with a "rule free" kind of atmosphere, but I think this would be more of a general community guideline of etiquette or something. Like "please don't just post a video/link without any comments." It really doesn't do much for discussion.

When I'm browsing social media and somebody posts a super clickbaity article or video the first thing I do is look in the comments for that one guy who posts "Saved you a click: (summary)." That's the job of the OP or else it's basically clickbait.

5 hours ago, Iridium said:

I'm down with this. I don't care about watching some hour-long GameXplain video about a thirty-second trailer. If there's anything important, summarize it or something.

I see we're all on the same page

Edited by Carl321

I'm guilty of this, but that's because I actually don't mind these types of threads. I'm mostly here when I'm at work, and I also have my twitter going, so when news pops up I share it here. I try and post something of my own afterwards, but often find a comment unnecessary. I think whether I put in my own comments or not, discussion will follow. If I don't comment, it's usually because I'm looking for other user feedback FIRST, then I put in my two cents afterwards to try and keep the discussion going.

Ex:

I post a new Zelda trailer

User 1 comments

User 2 comments

I comment

User 1 comments ON my comment

That last comment might not have been made if I made it in my OP as they would've consolidated it in their first post

I agree that post should contain more than just:

Give me your take on it or, at the very least, pull quotable lines from the article to share for discussion's sake. The same goes for videos and pictures.

I'm reluctant to suggest it, but if it becomes a problem, a character limit would police it.

37 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I'm guilty of this, but that's because I actually don't mind these types of threads. I'm mostly here when I'm at work, and I also have my twitter going, so when news pops up I share it here. I try and post something of my own afterwards, but often find a comment unnecessary. I think whether I put in my own comments or not, discussion will follow. If I don't comment, it's usually because I'm looking for other user feedback FIRST, then I put in my two cents afterwards to try and keep the discussion going.

Ex:

I post a new Zelda trailer

User 1 comments

User 2 comments

I comment

User 1 comments ON my comment

That last comment might not have been made if I made it in my OP as they would've consolidated it in their first post

there's a big difference between a 30 second game trailer that speaks for itself and a 10 minute third party news site's take on the future of Nintendo.

11 minutes ago, Carl321 said:

there's a big difference between a 30 second game trailer that speaks for itself and a 10 minute third party news site's take on the future of Nintendo.

Yeah, I don't do those...

But recently I made a thread on the Pokemon Go Halloween Event, and I don't think I added my own comments

I very purposefully do NOT post in threads that do not provide a summary or something else indicating their own thoughts on whatever they're posting about. I find it incredibly lazy to expect everyone else to pick up the slack of your thread to create conversation where there is none. Even 4chan has rules against that for their image boards. y; 

I don't think we need a rule, because that seems like a weird thing to make a rule considering we don't....really have rules, but I think it needs to be publicly discouraged. Yes, I'M personally too lazy to watch the video in your thread or read the article, but I'm also not the one making a topic about it so at least try to look like you care. theydonothing; 

Welp, my stomach just sank seeing this thread.

I'll admit I'm the biggest cause of this but I don't comment on any details of the video because I'm lazy, (I more than capable of making conversation) I assume the very few who watch the video at length would comment and more often than, that doesn't happen but I don't make it get to me and move on.

But now that this has been address I'll comment more on the videos I share here, I apologize to those who think I don't care comment but I do. As for creative titles, they aren't everything to a degree, what matters is what you say in the OP. It's easy to comment on Gamexplain vid but for the Honest Trailers, I do my best say something in those but I feel is harder to do without spoiling for those who haven't played or watch certain entertainment.

For now on I'll comment on all above video, there's no stopping from posting as long as I point what to discuss. The creative stuff is something that's gonna be a hit and miss.

I apologize to this forum for my lack of foresight in this.

47 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

but for the Honest Trailers, I do my best say something in those but I feel is harder to do without spoiling for those who haven't played or watch certain entertainment.

I'd give you a pass for this because Honest Trailers is meant to be entertainment and people would be going into an Honest Trailers thread specifically to be entertained by whatever video you're sharing.  The GameXplain videos, however, need some focus because those tend to be more informative and there could be a lot of information packed within a ten-minute video that very few people have the time/patience/willpower to watch entirely.

And don't worry.  You're not the only one.  I've seen at least a few other users consistently share links without any elaboration whatsoever.

Just now, Reilly said:

I'd give you a pass for this because Honest Trailers is meant to be entertainment and people would be going into an Honest Trailers thread specifically to be entertained by whatever video you're sharing.  The GameXplain videos, however, need some focus because those tend to be more informative and there could be a lot of information packed within a ten-minute video that very few people have the time/patience/willpower to watch entirely.

And don't worry.  You're not the only one.  I've seen at least a few other users consistently share links without any elaboration whatsoever.

Thanks but I must own up when I know when there's a uproar about this. I'm glad I came in here to apologize nonetheless.

As for the Honest Trailers, it's weird to think I need to say something with those but I guess I do cause those threads are lucky enough any replies than the post video no comment on Gamexplain. I think that's why I do it despite what my be spoiled or not.

3 hours ago, BEASTMASTERTOAD said:

I'm reluctant to suggest it, but if it becomes a problem, a character limit would police it.

I actually like the idea of character limits, because its passively regulated without mods needing to step in really ever, and it offers users the discernment to bypass.

Just as long as its not forcing people to bypass it all the time, and it becomes a hassle.

Edited by CHAINMAILLEKID