Super Mario Maker support ends March 31st 2021

3 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I'm VERY curious what Nintendo is up to.... I mean this move makes sense, sure, the game is old, the sequel is out. But there's that March 31, 2021 date again....

Same here. It's very strange, that date.

Got a lot of work to do in Mario Maker 1 before that date... matty;

I'm over this thing will end this fiscal year shit.

What I'm surprised about is the support ending. Yeah, there's no miiverse anymore but game sold more than SMM 2 and have more DL'd and creative stages than SMM 2. SMM 2 couldn't exactly capture the magic of thee first game to SMM 2. So why get rid of support of game thriving more than it's predecessor? Yeah, we get the Wii U is dead but that's no excuse to get rid of it.

That would be like cut the servers to Smash Ultimate and the only way to play Smash online is on the Wii U. Ultimate is more than what came on the Wii U, plus you're cutting off revenue of the NSO if you take the online off from Ultimate and just going with the Wii U. That's how I look at this move in perspective.

That is strange with the 3DS but I guess there's no harm if that gets shutdown or not. It's not hurting anybody if it is still around or not. That and the 3DS sold a decent amount on the 3DS because of the game itself and the install base on there.

I guess the Wii U shutdown makes sense as I said because of the install base and the failure that is Wii U but there's just more to do and play on this version of SMM than SMM 2. That is the strange thing in all of this. Outside the whole your game will be over 3/31/21.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:02 PM, DLurkster said:

I'm over this thing will end this fiscal year shit.

What I'm surprised about is the support ending. Yeah, there's no miiverse anymore but game sold more than SMM 2 and have more DL'd and creative stages than SMM 2. SMM 2 couldn't exactly capture the magic of thee first game to SMM 2. So why get rid of support of game thriving more than it's predecessor? Yeah, we get the Wii U is dead but that's no excuse to get rid of it.

That would be like cut the servers to Smash Ultimate and the only way to play Smash online is on the Wii U. Ultimate is more than what came on the Wii U, plus you're cutting off revenue of the NSO if you take the online off from Ultimate and just going with the Wii U. That's how I look at this move in perspective.

I'm pretty sure that they're decision to cut support here isn't because the original has more content than what SMM2 has.  That's what I'm not getting with the example being used here.  Hypothetically, if we got Ultimate on Wii U and and Smash 4 on Switch and Nintendo decided to cut server support for Ultimate the reason is not going to be because Ultimate has more content.

• Chrom featured this topic
Just now, Pichi said:

there's no way to play SMM1 content in the second game, i'm assuming. only 5 years for all that amazing fan content is just sad.

Yea at in regards to remaking levels using the amiibo characters. It sucks that they didn't continue with that in Mario Maker 2.

7 minutes ago, Pichi said:

just blows my mind when devs are like "yeah that was a great idea! let's never do it again."
fucking game freak

Exactly! 

it's amazing just how many good ideas Game Freak used over the years and got rid of in a similar fashion 

digging for treasure yourself being one example 

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

there's no way to play SMM1 content in the second game, i'm assuming. only 5 years for all that amazing fan content is just sad.

They're stopping the ability to upload courses after March 31st; after that date you can still play whatever was previously uploaded. Though of course the server will be shut down entirely some day, and I'd guess sooner rather than later considering how Nintendo seems totally done with the Wii U.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

I mean, you could always turn your Wii U on and use it as a blueprint to re-create all your old levels piece-by-piece in the Switch version.

Sure, it would take a long time, but at least it's something.

Maybe take pics of the older levels to use as a template. 

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe take pics of the older levels to use as a template. 

Why should we be working this hard to get the best of both worlds from these games.

I'm not saying it is gonna be easy for Nintendo but there's gotta be a way get features of SMM and somehow integrate in SMM 2. Also like then Miiverse shutdown we were able to archive our posts is there a way they can do that with the course made in SMM and if it is not too much work put them in SMM 2? Then again that would be asking to have replays from Wii U be watchable on Ultimate, similar templates different engines. So I wonder that might be why it may not be feasible to have those 2 worlds meet.