Nintendo Direct Mini Partners Oct. 28th

Well Nintendo dropped another Mini Direct Partner Showcase this morning.

https://youtu.be/rf2wWrXe0V8

A diverse bit of stuff this time. Most of it I am not personally interested in but I do have some thoughts on a couple.

Spoiler

Bravely Default II: I am not surprised the release got pushed back. Nice to see they will adjust difficulty, hopefully with options. Let those who want it hard get an option to do so and everyone else can play through a more forgiving option. :P 

Age of Calamity: as expected, a demo was released. Also so glad we get to use the Divine Beasts! I am definitely looking forward to this one.

Story of Seasons: although the plot never changes, the mechanics look interesting. Might pick this one up eventually but not a huge priority for me.

What did you all think?

Very hyped by this Direct.

Both No More Heroes coming out on the eshop, No More Heroes III coming out, more about Bravely Default II, Story of Seasons seems interesting, definitely picking up the Age of Calamity demo and looking forward to this game.

Edited by Doc Brown
22 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I do like how the DBs are part of the fight in Hyrule Warriors so it doesn't look like Ganon just dropped an UNO Reverse card and killed all the Champions before the DBs even did anything in the war, as that was kind of the feel from BotW.

Absolutely. That they were actually able to put up a fight before it all hit the fan makes BotW’s story better, IMO.

I can't watch the video, but for No More Heroes I/II, how playable do you think they are in handheld mode? I remember the Wii games actively used motion controls, which probably translate fine to joycons on docked mode, but I can't really use my switch docked for the next few weeks (bf is using the TV to play cold steel 4, please understand).

A lot of good stuff in this Mini, and wow I know it's probably at least partly because of Covid pushing games' release dates back but early 2021 is looking jam-packed for the Switch now.

• Bravely Default II: Glad to see some news since a 2020 release seemed unlikely at this point. Also glad that they are once again taking fan feedback to heart since the demo definitely had some rough edges.
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising: Looks like exactly the kind of Ubisoft game I like, looking forward to trying it out.
  • No More Heroes III: Still looking amazing and can't wait to play. Re-releasing the previous games is a nice touch too (not sure I'll double dip on those just now though).
  • Hitman III Cloud Version & Control Cloud Version: Whoa, did not expect to see these games on the Switch, even through a cloud streaming service. I actually just picked up Control on the PS4 and am looking forward to playing it, it looks really cool.
  • Griftlands: This looks kind of cool, though "rogue-lite deck-building game" kind of scares me a bit.
  • Part-time UFO: This looks adorable, not surprised to see it came from HAL Laboratory.
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Totally agree that it's awesome to see the Divine Beasts in action. It's so satisfying to see the champions and the beasts really put up a fight against Ganon's forces since, yeah, the original game kind of made it seem like they got rolled over pretty easily.
13 minutes ago, Zora said:

I can't watch the video, but for No More Heroes I/II, how playable do you think they are in handheld mode? I remember the Wii games actively used motion controls, which probably translate fine to joycons on docked mode, but I can't really use my switch docked for the next few weeks (bf is using the TV to play cold steel 4, please understand).

The original NMH was also released on PS3/360, so maybe they just have a normal controller set-up for handheld mode? Hopefully they don't expect you to swing your Switch around to execute finishing moves.

Wow! This was way better than I was expecting!

• Pretty cool seeing Hitman III coming to Switch and Control shadow-dropped, but too bad their both 'Cloud Versions'.
  • No More Heroes I & II shadows-dropped on Switch?! ...Like Travis said, "HELL YEAH!"
  • Part Time UFO is a neat little game from HAL Laboratory. It's been on mobile for quite a while and I always wondered why it never came to something like the 3DS. I just hope there's enough extra content in the Switch version to warrant the price of $8.99, because it's only $3.99 on mobile.
  • NIce to see a Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity demo shadow-dropped. I never got into the Hyrule Warriors games (I played a demo on WIi U), but I'll admit, this looks pretty cool with all the story elements. I might have to check out that demo.

EDIT: Seems with Control they are letting you try the game for 5 mins. before you have to buy the game. I guess this is so you can see if your internet can handle streaming it...?

🔗http://nintendo.com/games/detail/control-ultimate-edition-cloud-version-switch/

*Click to Enlarge*

smq0USa.png

Edited by alienboyva

Dang 5 minutes really isn't much time, but I suppose every second costs them something for their server or cloud or whatever (I am not very tech literate).

Also here's the Bravely Default II player feedback video. Some major takeaways are: separate difficulty options, turn gauges à la Active Time Battles so you know which of your characters will act next, enemies move slower on the map and weak ones will run away from you like Earthbound, and UI has been tweaked to be a little easier to read.

Lmfao, it's (Control) basically unplayable! Couldn't play it on my 18mb to 25mb internet. Too slow, even on bad graphics mode (and the graphics are truly bad).

PS Now ran better. Granted it was via PC, but it was much more stable (had some drop offs, but not enough to be overly annoying).

2 hours ago, Zora said:

FWIW, Desperate Struggle supported the Wii Classic Controller, and otherwise had basically the same controls as the first game, so there's probably some way to play both games without the waggle.

Woot! For the last Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase, that was a banger way to go out.

Definitely getting NMH 1+2, let's see if I qualify to play Control on Switch I am curious.

BD II looking great, like that Part time UFO,  I have Hitman on my PS4 but haven't played much of it. Just gotta see how Control works.

Griftlands looks interesting.

My path as not changed with Immortal Fenyx Rising as a game purchase on Switch.

4 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

The original NMH was also released on PS3/360, so maybe they just have a normal controller set-up for handheld mode? Hopefully they don't expect you to swing your Switch around to execute finishing moves.

I'm gonna try this in handheld mode and see how this goes for Zora.

3 hours ago, alienboyva said:

EDIT: Seems with Control they are letting you try the game for 5 mins. before you have to buy the game. I guess this is so you can see if your internet can handle streaming it...?

🔗http://nintendo.com/games/detail/control-ultimate-edition-cloud-version-switch/

*Click to Enlarge*

smq0USa.png

I read all of the fine print before DLing, like I said curious to see how this works for me or not.

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Also here's the Bravely Default II player feedback video. Some major takeaways are: separate difficulty options, turn gauges à la Active Time Battles so you know which of your characters will act next, enemies move slower on the map and weak ones will run away from you like Earthbound, and UI has been tweaked to be a little easier to read.

Wasn't sure if anyone posted. Great list of QoL stuff they got from the feedback. Really looking forward to the release of this game next year.

I have tried Control in both modes. I don't know if it is just me or the servers accumulating to my internet.

In the opening cutscene, it appeared I saw very slight stuttering, not lag but stuttering. Seen it in both modes, it appeared it stop once I had control of the protagonist in performance mode and in enhanced graphic mode it stopped once I took a few steps.

I was wondering around too much in the performance mode and I was cut right before I could see how the game handle action. So in enhanced graphic mode I went straight to the action to see how it plays. It plays fine with out no drop in connection, lag or stutter whatsoever.

I might pick this up since it did well, in Canada the access price is $54.99.

My internet speed is 1Gbps DL and upload is 30Mpbs, all on wifi no less. I will try NMH in handheld and tabletop now.

Edited by DLurkster

@Zora: Here's the gist of the controls of NHM in handheld: It's just like the PS3/360 version where all you swings are the X and Y buttons and Finishers are with the right stick. You use the both of the sticks to do finisher throws.

As for tabletop, the only thing that is motion is how you position the right joy-con up or down from the console (this makes your attacks high or low) and you attack with the A button.

Now for the finishers and finisher grabs, unless I am mistaken, you gentle swipe the right joy-con in the direction the prompt wants you to go. I'm not sure if you can just use the sticks to finisher but it would be nice to have both but it seem you have gentle swing for finishers.

So right joy-con to set the position of the katana high or low, A button to attack and a gentle swing of the right joy-con to do finishers. That's about it.

• Chrom featured this topic