Fire Emblem NES coming to NA!

This is neat, and $6 is a solid asking price given the QoL changes and localization (coding English into old games isn't an envious task), but wtf is this digital only game available until 3/31? Please stop with the Nintendo vault. :|

Anyway, do we know the details of the 30th anniversary collection? If it's a decent asking price, I might consider it, but if it's over $30 I'd probably only consider the standalone game, if that.

Edited by Zora
7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's $50, same as Mario was.

Going with the standalone game myself too.

That's unfortunate. I'd swallow that price for a Genealogy release, but not this.

14 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Pretty exciting news.

I hope this doesn't take away from this news but does that mean Mother 3 have a chance of being translated for real or Itoi not gonna let Nintendo or who else to translate the game?

I'd hedge my bets on no. Fire Emblem fanbase is extremely eager for content between Three Houses and Heroes--there's an audience for this. By contrast, anyone who's interested in Mother 3 has probably emulated the damn game by now. The scale of the project is different--mother 3 is just more text heavy and involved than a 30yo NES SPRG. Fire Emblem 1 has a sweetspot of eager audience and modest effort that few Japan-only games can hit.

Edited by Zora

It'd be nice if this was just part of NES Online but since it's translated to English and has some bonus features I guess I don't mind ponying up $6 for it. It'll be a neat little piece of gaming history to have on my Switch.

Nintendo had better cut it out with this limited time availability for digital downloads though. Really no excuse for this for digital games aside from a marketing ploy.

1 minute ago, Zora said:

That's unfortunate. I'd swallow that price for a Genealogy release, but not this.

I'd hedge my bets on no. Fire Emblem fanbase is extremely eager for content between Three Houses and Heroes--there's an audience for this. By contrast, anyone who's interested in Mother 3 has probably emulated the damn game by now. The scale of the project is different--mother 3 is just more text heavy and involved than an 30yo NES SPRG. Fire Emblem 1 has a sweetspot of eager audience and modest effort that few Japan-only games can hit.

I forgot about the nicheness of Mother fans, knew about how text heavy that game is tho. But how does that explain how some games from the DQ series have heavy text and they got official translations? I know it cost a pretty penny to get those done isn't the demand plus it might be worth it in the long wrong compared to Mother 3?

5 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Mario was $60.

-----------

$50 is fine for a bunch of collectible trinkets, but this "limited time only for a digital game" shit has got to fucking stop.

Was going to fix that. It (Mario) was $50 at Walmart.

Yea, just glad that the digital base game is available separately. Agreed. 

Everytime I see this 3/31, my mind travels to Furukawa.

He really is a shred business man, with his background international bank, worked with NOE and the Pokemon Company. I think he knows exactly what he is doing to make sure the fiscal year ending on that date looks overimmaculate financial wise. Why else as q coincidence that yeah their fiscal year ends there and you do the best within your means to make as much money but this guy is really making sure that he not only delivers the goods but outright smash the goal they want to achieve.

I feel like if he keeps this up he will eventually burn the consumers he seeks to fill their pockets. That's just a wild take with all this limited time shit.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

I forgot about the nicheness of Mother fans, knew about how text heavy that game is tho. But how does that explain how some games from the DQ series have heavy text and they got official translations? I know it cost a pretty penny to get those done isn't the demand plus it might be worth it in the long wrong compared to Mother 3?

Why are we bringing up Dragon Quest? Nintendo published Dragon Quest IX as part of a partnership with Square Enix, and although it's clear the marketing fell onto Nintendo, the localization proper fell onto Square Enix (source)--I suspect the same is true for VI, VII, and VIII. Moreover, nurturing Dragon Quest as a NIntendo series (every DQ game has reached a Nintendo system since) had a huge payoff in Japan proper, where Dragon Quest is more popular. By contrast, Nintendo would localize Mother 3 by itself, for a franchise that seemingly has no future, to sell said game to an audience who--pragmatically speaking--already owns the game via emulation; none of this is in common with Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest.

Edited by Zora
15 minutes ago, Zora said:

Why are we bringing up Dragon Quest? Nintendo published Dragon Quest IX as part of a partnership with Square Enix, and although it's clear the marketing fell onto Nintendo, the localization proper fell onto Square Enix (source)--I suspect the same is true for VI, VII, and VIII. Moreover, nurturing Dragon Quest as a NIntendo series (every DQ game has reached a Nintendo system since) had a huge payoff in Japan proper, where Dragon Quest is more popular. By contrast, Nintendo would localize Mother 3 by itself, for a franchise that seemingly has no future, to sell said game to an audience who--pragmatically speaking--already owns the game via emulation; none of this is in common with Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest.

Okay, I understand. I didn't know or forgot that SE did all the hardlifting with the DQ translations.

With that said that makes more sense ontop of the Mother series being niche that the translation won't be worth it and be done by Nintendo.

Thank you for that.

I really have to wonder what is behind all these limited release windows Nintendo keeps dropping for games.  Especially, when all of said games offer the digital equivalent too--like why discontinue it digitally?  Why discontinue it physically so soon?  I mean, they like money right?  I don't buy CV19 issues even if I might buy production facilities of physical media could have hiccups but...

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I really have to wonder what is behind all these limited release windows Nintendo keeps dropping for games.  Especially, when all of said games offer the digital equivalent too--like why discontinue it digitally?  Why discontinue it physically so soon?  I mean, they like money right?  I don't buy CV19 issues even if I might buy production facilities of physical media could have hiccups but...

Given 3/31 is the end of the second financial quarter, I have no doubt this is just using FOMO to make money quickly to make their Q2 report look less bad.