Roivas Mansion - N4A Chat Thread - October 2020

Tyranogre

12 hours ago, Edie Napier said:

Finished TOK.  I'm making a terrible pun but it describes my feelings perfectly in saying that the last chapter honestly fell a bit flat.  Felt a lot weaker and abrupt than a lot of the final chapters in other Paper Mario games and while the ending is good, the last few hours suddenly into the ending felt rushed enough to sour my experience a bit.  TTYD is still probably king for me but TOK is definitely as good as or better than any of the first three games.

I agree a bit about the end, but actually I felt emotionally invested enough in one of the characters that what happened to them touched me a bit. So I’m not complaining that much.

IMO TOK is a great game. Not without flaws but few games are. It was a great tine overall. Would be nice if they focused more on plot next time, but I know how they feel about that so I’m not holding my breath or anything... just would be nice.

7 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

after sitting on it for a few months.... origami king is the best paper mario game

I can't even disagree with this take because as a straight adventure game TOK is just better than TTYD in a lot of ways.  But TTYD is also a game that's up against the fact that I've played through it multiple times, and frankly I think the game's flaws become a lot more apparent on subsequent playthroughs and maybe that'll be the case with TOK.  TTYD has better story beats in general and the overarching plot feels like it matters more just because it feels more multifaceted in that regard, but you can tell that the game was made with limited time or space on the minidiscs because comparatively to 64 and subsequent games the areas are very linear and padded with a ton of backtracking that becomes way more noticeable the more you play through the game. y;

Defeated Hollow Knight. 

Got the bad ending because I have no patience with THE RADIANCE; trying to figure out patterns with a boss that has insane attacks that deal two damage bars with little to no breathing space, and can combo its attacks from out of nowhere. Plus, trying to hit a teleporting target is just luck. Last, I hate the good ending too. Even though needle warrior chick survives (*checks*; I forgot her name is Hornet), Hollow Knight or whatever still dies from the last battle. Plus, there's no build-up to THE RADIANCE. Hollow Knight, the boss, is more interesting, because of the lore of the whole game is tied to him. THE RADIANCE might be the one puppeteering behind the strings, I don't think she was ever mentioned to be cared about. I tried using certain charms, but I can't ever find the right combos to beat it.     

Overall, up until like 75% of the game is when I finally caved and looked at an online map and walkthroughs for some bosses.  

But, with my time with the base game done, and my thoughts on my experience mixed, I wonder if I even should try the Grimm Troupe DLC. If they're anything like some of the optional bosses I've fought, Soul Tyrant and False Champion or whatever,  then I think I'll end my time with Hollow Knight now before I got more angry at stuff I swear the game likes to troll me with. 

2 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

the first two are straight classics too hamninja;

still gotta play color splash and go back to sticker star

no you don't theydonothing;

sticker star is trash and mostly devoid of a lot of the charming writing, story beats and characters
i sort of stan color splash for being a legitimately fantastic game shackled to sticker star's shitty battle system that in some ways manages to be even worse

6 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Defeated Hollow Knight. 

Got the bad ending because I have no patience with THE RADIANCE; trying to figure out patterns with a boss that has insane attacks that deal two damage bars with little to no breathing space, and can combo its attacks from out of nowhere. Plus, trying to hit a teleporting target is just luck. Last, I hate the good ending too. Even though needle warrior chick survives (*checks*; I forgot her name is Hornet), Hollow Knight or whatever still dies from the last battle. Plus, there's no build-up to THE RADIANCE. Hollow Knight, the boss, is more interesting, because of the lore of the whole game is tied to him. THE RADIANCE might be the one puppeteering behind the strings, I don't think she was ever mentioned to be cared about. I tried using certain charms, but I can't ever find the right combos to beat it.     

Overall, up until like 75% of the game is when I finally caved and looked at an online map and walkthroughs for some bosses.  

But, with my time with the base game done, and my thoughts on my experience mixed, I wonder if I even should try the Grimm Troupe DLC. If they're anything like some of the optional bosses I've fought, Soul Tyrant and False Champion or whatever,  then I think I'll end my time with Hollow Knight now before I got more angry at stuff I swear the game likes to troll me with. 

I don't think I beat that boss either, did most of Grimm Troupe DLC. Hollow Knight is a phenomenal game.

4 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

sticker star has trash gameplay incentives but I wonder if there's some positives there that you'd only notice after going back to it after some time after your negative first impressions have faded...

Looks nice and sounds nice and what sparse writing there is can have its moments occasionally.  Puzzles can be clever but a lot of them border or cross over into being obtuse, and having to get more thing stickers if you fuck up is infuriating.  All in all I wouldn't just call it a bad Paper Mario game, I just think it's not a great game in general.  It's a bunch of terrible ideas and what good is in there is often tripping over itself.

Like I'm not even a "PLEASE GIVE US THE FIRST TWO GAMES FOREVER AND EVER" purist like some of the babies out there and I fucking adored Super Paper Mario.  I'm fine if a franchise diverges or experiments, I just want the game to be good and Sticker Star just has a bunch of minor shit that adds up to just getting in the way of itself. y;

Edited by Edie Napier

Okay, I did most of the Grimm Troupe stuff, but again, I'm not a fast reflex guy, and the final boss of that DLC also has their own share of problems, but maybe that's because I have the wrong charm combos. They say to "get good", but I'm a mostly casual gamer, and even though there are clear patterns, I don't like thrive in really stressful situations. I heard of its comparison to the ultimate hard game of the last decade, and maybe that's maybe why the end fights of the DLC and base game don't do it for me. I'm going to quit playing before it turns ugly, like other final bosses I eventually defeated years later. 

It's a shame, because I've played and beaten The Messenger, which handles both platforming and combat really well, and their bosses are fun and fair, and that game gets close to compared to old-school Ninja Gaiden.