Roivas Mansion - N4A Chat Thread - October 2020

Tyranogre

9 hours ago, Edie Napier said:

i mean yeah, the thing to me that made metroidvania games interesting were the combat options and symphony of the night does that very well, i never said it didn't y;

i find the platforming designs and level layouts generally bland and functional at best where they're often vaguely symmetrical or linear rooms, i don't find them interesting at all to jump around or navigate through because they feel designed like they have to facilitate combat, whereas while metroid's combat is never particularly innovative or deep it meshes perfectly with its movement and compliments the game in enemies feeling more like obstacles to maneuver through and don't feel like either is holding back the other

castlevania games are very good at giving you options in how you want your character to fight, but at least to me it always felt like they had to accommodate that by putting level design under a very broad umbrella, whereas metroid games give you less options to work with but they push those fewer options a lot harder into more interesting directions

The platforms themselves are simple, I'm not going to argue that. But, the various places to explore in Symphony of the Night are interesting, like the dungeon coliseum with the seemingly out of place but catchy song. (Not saying that Super Metroid doesn't have clever areas and great music; in fact, I think SM beats SOTN in both music and the areas to explore themselves.) And, the enemies in SOTN actually challenge your combat more, like the knights and bone bird guys that have spears than the alien that circles around a platform and the aliens that go from left to right from Super Metroid. Late game and even early game, SM does have those challenging enemies, but SOTN has more of them. And, I feel SOTN has more and better bosses, AND if there wasn't an exploit to leave the room to get more health and missiles if one didn't get more missile capacity expansions, Mother Brain would've been one of the worst final bosses I've ever faced. Turns out that charging beams work as well, so there goes another couple of minutes trying to figure out boss weaknesses. Even a normal attack from Alucard's weapons can do some damage against most to all bosses, whereas pellets from Samus' amazing arm cannon does next to nothing. Though, Super Metroid has one of the best dramatic ending boss fights ever.   

Even though SOTN is easier by comparison, I found it less frustrating than Super Metroid. And even though Super Metroid has challenging platform designs, I've had so many problems with controlling Samus in midair so many times that she falls in a pit or falls down so much that it seems like I've wasted so much time that could be used to get through the level already. Or, Crash Bandicoot Syndrome. Sure, veteran players might know know a character's jump arc works and can move the character so perfectly that they will play the game more than once, but for those who played the game for the first time, they will make those mistakes over and over again and might not want to play it again because the jumping seems so strange and counterintuitive of what they thought they pressed. It also could be depth perception faults. I have no real problems with the platforms. I have a problem with Samus when she jumps. Though, I could be in the minority of that, and have similar problems with some other platformers before, not only 2D. 

9 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

the one thing that sucks about super metroid is having to press the same button like 6 times in a row to change to/from missiles

Doesn't help that with the SNOS for the Nintendo Switch and on a Switch Pro Controller, the Select Button is near the Capture Button. You know where this is going.  

So i was partway through getting a build done following a complicated tutorial and something didn't keep adding up

So i tore everything down and going to have to find something else to build

Mildly annoying since i liked the look of it... well. there's only so much i can figure out or follow

So back at square one now

Edited by Shadow118
5 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

shaaaaaaark

ame's a fucking gremlin and agent of chaos and i love her

and i simultaneously love and find it horribly fucked up that the explanation for her slight lisp is that she literally almost bit her tongue off as a child theydonothing;

Edited by Edie Napier

There are few games that cumulatively have so many things on paper that I fuck with but the product catastrophically fucks up as much as OW to me.  It is the most "blizzard" ass game I can think of where the game itself feels good to play but virtually everything else from its balance to its map design to its microtransaction philosophy to its competitive community to its terrible writing and cheap tokenism/virtue signalling represents the very worst of the genre it tries to function in.

I'd honestly rather reinstall TF2 again at this point than to ever touch that game again.  It's the straw that broke the camel's back of me being a longtime Blizzard game player lmao

Edited by Edie Napier

I've began playing Hollow Knight.  

Because I wanted to get into the main beginnings of the MV genre, mostly Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night first, immediately what struct me in Hollow Knight was a nearly darker color palette. Also, the characters seem strange yet oddly quirky? The music is wonderful, and I love it when it diminishes when Hollow Knight gets hit. And, that that sword strike and the sound effect accompanying it is one of the satisfying swings I've ever heard. I've gotten around 30 minutes into it so far, and I'm already impressed.    

2 hours ago, ace said:

I've actually been playing TF2 again which has me thinking about it. I would be much better off putting that $20 towards Yakuza 7 or Cyberpunk 2077 which is the main reason I haven't done it.

And I apologize if I appear hostile, OW is a sore spot for me because I wanted to love the game so much but MAN it's just done so many things to push me away from it. y;

7 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I've began playing Hollow Knight.  

Because I wanted to get into the main beginnings of the MV genre, mostly Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night first, immediately what struct me in Hollow Knight was a nearly darker color palette. Also, the characters seem strange yet oddly quirky? The music is wonderful, and I love it when it diminishes when Hollow Knight gets hit. And, that that sword strike and the sound effect accompanying it is one of the satisfying swings I've ever heard. I've gotten around 30 minutes into it so far, and I'm already impressed.    

Hollow Knight is fantastic

8 hours ago, Edie Napier said:

And I apologize if I appear hostile, OW is a sore spot for me because I wanted to love the game so much but MAN it's just done so many things to push me away from it. y;

Oh no don’t worry. I agree with just about everything you said about it. I dropped it for the first time when they started reworking everything entirely around the OWL since it made the game boring and heroes unfun to play as. Playing TF2 had me thinking about it again because as much as I love it, it’s a complete disaster to play. 

I had a payload game on Upward last night in which the blue team had 5 bots that would instantly kill anyone that got within a certain distance of them. If anyone tried to vote kick any of them they would end up being voted out by the bots. They were advertising some TF2 streamer. This has become a common occurrence.